FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that according to the guys from FN, it is safe to use Acetone to clean your scar when used in small doses.

I had this question for them when I accidentally got a little bit of oil in the gas system and wanted to find the best way to remove any residue. According to the rep, Hoppes #9 leaves a little bit of a residue and may not be safe to use on the gas block. Acetone will ensure all possible residue is removed and can be applied safely and dries quickly. I would recommend taking a little on a cotton applicator and just rubbing it on the effected areas.

Just thought I'd post this here for what it's worth. It was useful for me and I hope it is for you as well.

I don't know how well it will hold up to the polymer plastics so I would only use it on small areas on the metal components of the rifle. Just make sure that if you do use it on key components, like the bolt carrier, that you go back over with a film of oil to prevent rusting.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yeah, the FN manual says no oil for the piston or plug.

·
Vendor
3,284 Posts
Acetone & some plastics could be catastrophy..... be careful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Acetone can be pretty aggressive as its been stated so be careful. Oil in the gas system is bad. Low VOC brake cleaner or contact cleaner works great for this as well. The MAF/air flow meter sprays are poly-safe but less effective on tough carbon. For "do not lubricate parts I will clean with #9 then remove its residue with acetone/brake cleaner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Acetone can be pretty aggressive as its been stated so be careful. Oil in the gas system is bad. Low VOC brake cleaner or contact cleaner works great for this as well. The MAF/air flow meter sprays are poly-safe but less effective on tough carbon. For "do not lubricate parts I will clean with #9 then remove its residue with acetone/brake cleaner.
What about a dry lube, like Hornady One Shot? Still gunk up? I spray that stuff everywhere and wipe off any excess and the gun is completely dry to the touch

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
What about a dry lube, like Hornady One Shot? Still gunk up? I spray that stuff everywhere and wipe off any excess and the gun is completely dry to the touch
When the manufacturer who has tested the weapon with hundreds of thousands of rounds and have reports from actual in the field use, states do not lube the gas system, why do still feel compelled to put some sort of lube in it? :th_confused0024:

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I shoot my 17s; I use Hoppes #9 on all the steel & Aluminum parts and frog lube CLP on all the polymer parts. I wipe of all the carbon fouling off the piston & the gas plug. Thereafter, I ever so carefully use #9 on a q tip and lightly apply it on the piston and the gas plug. I ensure to wipe off all the oil before installing them back in the rifle. The gas piston exterior housing is another thing; it gets carbon fouling on it and I wipe it off and apply a light coat of #9. If you are familiar with the system, know how they operate in tandem and understand oil can cause pitting, excessive wear and clog the system, I'd say go ahead and apply a very light coat of #9 on a q tip but ensure ALL the oil residue is off prior to reassembly. I've owned Scars since 2010 and this is the method I've chosen without having to repair or replace any part(s) on my SCAR's. I will say gas pistons & plugs can be acquired from MGW if you need them. Clean your Scar(s) at your own risk but I highly discourage anybody from lubing the gas piston & plug and installing it in the housing, without wiping all applicable residue off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When the manufacturer who has tested the weapon with hundreds of thousands of rounds and have reports from actual in the field use, states do not lube the gas system, why do still feel compelled to put some sort of lube in it? :th_confused0024:
Because manufacturers are up against levels of stupid we can only dream about. Have you ever seen those car windshield “sun shades” that have “do not drive with sun shade in place” written on them? It’s a lot easier to cover their ass than to list, specifically, each and every type of lube.

Tell you what, I’ll just forget I asked and keep using One Shot everywhere. Because it’s working like a goddamn champ an I’m too lazy to care otherwise.

Peace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts