FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to forum and have recently purchased a couple of fnh weapons. My first was a 57 and the latest is a Scar 17s. I was wanting some of your collective wisdom about scopes. I have an ACOG TA 33H
And was wondering if this is a good choice for a mid to long range optic. I also have an aimpoint comp2. What are your thoughts on these?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I went from a TA-11 to a comp M2 on my 17 and really like the aimpoint setup. I have other rifles set up with higher power glass and use my SCAR as my close-midrange heavy hitter. Heck since you already have them both, test them both out and see what works for you

I really don't think I'd consider a TA 33 3 power optic as good for long range though

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
guess it all depends on what you consider long range?

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
I agree with Cam. Additionally, Id keep the Aimpoint as your short/mid range optic and look for something in the 2.5-8 or 2.5-10 range for your long range optic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Acog

Well i guess i consider 6 to 800 meters longrange. I have a ta 33 h mounted on my ar, but found out i really need a scope calibrated for a 308. Makes sense to me. I guess my question is where do i go to find the options for an acog that would fit well with the scar 17. I'd like to see all the reticle options. Is the m-150 a possible choice for my gun? Do i need a 3x or larger?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Check out Trijicon's website for the different reticle options

Trijicon ACOG®

The main challenge with finding an ACOG that will be calibrated correctly for the SCAR is that each of the BDC reticles is calibrated for a specific cartridge out of a specific barrel length with a set sight over bore(which is based of an AR type rifle). With all that being said, I don't believe any of the ACOGs will match exactly with SCAR so the BDC wont be perfect. Trijicon doesn't really advertise their parameters but if you call them they can tell you what they are. The problem with the SCAR and ACOGs is the height over bore is higher than on an AR so your are inducing error right away.

For 600-800 yards, 3 power is a little low in my opinion. I think you could get hits but it would be much easier with a variable power optic that goes up to 10 power. If you look thru the threads you will see all types of reviews. Look them over and report back with any follow up questions:?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Acog

Bought a TA11E-G. Came with Larue QD mounts and a docter red dot.

Will post back as to likeability after some range time in the hills of kansas.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Bought a TA11E-G. Came with Larue QD mounts and a docter red dot.

Will post back as to likeability after some range time in the hills of kansas.
Kansas? Hills? Unless you're in Eastern KS, or right on the border with Colorado, there aren't all that many hills to choose from! Planning on doing some plinking from Mt. Sunflower?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a little known secret. All the city folks think kansas is flat....
Take a drive on hwy 36 from kansas city to colorado line sometime. You'll be surprised!!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'm a native born Jayhawker myself, small town, raised on a farm, the whole nine yards. The one time we drove to Colorado, I swear the only elevation I saw was a cow pie!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a native born Jayhawker myself, small town, raised on a farm, the whole nine yards. The one time we drove to Colorado, I swear the only elevation I saw was a cow pie!
I-70 no doubt.... Thats where they funnel all the drive thru peeps:)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Oklahoma now but we have family in Hays. Long range shooting north of hays in the limestone hills... Makes a nice white puff when ya smack it with a 308.
Near Plainville? I've got family there.

Cam, I can attest to how flat i70 is for from CO to KS. Made the roundtrip from MD to CO in a week (ouch)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check out Trijicon's website for the different reticle options

Trijicon ACOG®

The main challenge with finding an ACOG that will be calibrated correctly for the SCAR is that each of the BDC reticles is calibrated for a specific cartridge out of a specific barrel length with a set sight over bore(which is based of an AR type rifle). With all that being said, I don't believe any of the ACOGs will match exactly with SCAR so the BDC wont be perfect. Trijicon doesn't really advertise their parameters but if you call them they can tell you what they are. The problem with the SCAR and ACOGs is the height over bore is higher than on an AR so your are inducing error right away.

For 600-800 yards, 3 power is a little low in my opinion. I think you could get hits but it would be much easier with a variable power optic that goes up to 10 power. If you look thru the threads you will see all types of reviews. Look them over and report back with any follow up questions:?
You seriously have to be kidding with that "height over bore" comment. You do realize the acogs are designed to mount "on top" of a fixed A2 carry handle (in the "V" channel) or mounted to an A3 flat top? That's quite a difference in height over bore.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts