FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally I purchased a ta33 for my sbr noveske project, and found my self second guessing myself as I realized I bought an acog tuned and setup to run on a16 inch barrel, but put on a 11.5 inch barrel. I switched the optic I had on my scar 16, a trijicon tr24r 1-4 due to it having ability to zoom, not being tuned to a specific length barrel- but I have to wonder as I really wanted the zoom tr24 on the scar 16 as I set it up to shoot longer range. Is the accuracy and bdc going to be very different with the acog on my noveske???will rarely shoot it out to 200+ Thoughts??

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well the BDC is used out to 300 with 400 being the first hash on BDC. I don't see why you cant use it, merely on the use as a reddot, If BAC is comfy. To the outbound end of this the round is needing stablization(with ACOGs the m4 is used with a 16"barrel). So if the 11" doesn't mess with the ballistics too much out to 300 then your golden within 200. From what I have read the Noveske's 11.5 and 10.5 barrels are the way to go in those lenghts, and is one of the best among SBR uppers.

Im just calculating this based on the 0-2 distance and the acog use, plz take with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Troublesx10

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for reply. I like the bdc on the acog if I had the coin i would go with the vcog-- maybe some day but it is speedy. Re the 11.5, it is true in terms of quality fit and finish. The tolerances are so tight I have to use a punch to drive out takedown pins.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had the opposite situation running my ACOG TA-31CH on a 20" barrel instead of a 16" barrel (which the ACOG seems to be tuned for?) I did notice at 200 yards it was actually between the center crosshair and the 200 yard mark. The center crosshairs and 200 mark are very close to begin with so it just took a few shots to learn where to hold and now it's easily repeatable. Any scope (even one tuned for the barrel length you're running) is a good chance it won't match up with where your round impacts because of different loads. It sounds like since the max you'll be running it is out to 200 pretty much it's seriously not a big deal you may just have to hold a couple inches higher at 200 then the 200 mark on the TA33.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the opposite situation running my ACOG TA-31CH on a 20" barrel instead of a 16" barrel (which the ACOG seems to be tuned for?) I did notice at 200 yards it was actually between the center crosshair and the 200 yard mark. The center crosshairs and 200 mark are very close to begin with so it just took a few shots to learn where to hold and now it's easily repeatable. Any scope (even one tuned for the barrel length you're running) is a good chance it won't match up with where your round impacts because of different loads. It sounds like since the max you'll be running it is out to 200 pretty much it's seriously not a big deal you may just have to hold a couple inches higher at 200 then the 200 mark on the TA33.

Yeah i think u may be right and just have to adapt to it-- I'm a bit ocd when it comes to these things. I want the balistics to line up-- it is the best thing and worst thing about the acog.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well you can make the BDC line up at dif ranges. I don't mean to insult, just provide prospective, like the 4 means XXX and 6 means XXX-- something like that. Im guessing your using 55gr ammo? May want to try that if 62gr doesn't line up. That's a fine optic and you said your comfy with it, If I was you I'd just make a cheat sheet for myself. Otherwise you'll go around in circles finding "that" optic.

Reactions: Troublesx10
1 - 7 of 7 Posts