FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

First time poster, long time lurker. I'd like to thank you all for all the great and informative posts so far... Now on to business.

Owned revolvers for my whole life, that's what my father had, so that's what I had. About a week ago I purchased an FNX 9 after seeing one at a show. I have never fired one nor have I ever seen one broken down.

When I go to pick it up from the FFL what are some things that I should look for?

-In your opinion, what would cause me to reject the transfer?
-What are things you look for when you pick up your guns?
-what should cause me concern / suspicion?

I realize the questions are subjective, but I really just wanted to hear your opinions. This is my first purchase from an online retailer. (Buds)

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
First of all, I'd make sure it's the correct gun with all the back straps and all 3 mags. I'd make sure the back straps had no or very little wiggle, that the mags didn't have much slop in the mag well and drop free. I'd also make sure there wasn't an visible damage anywhere (I break the guns down and inspect the barrel and fire control group)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
:greatpostsignsj1: ...what Dan said.

You can be 90% certain your gun is going to be ready to walk out the door with you, but it's good to check. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
There will be an envelope with a casing from a test round, check the date on it and make sure it hasn't been sitting around too long. I have heard the very early ones had some problems with loose backstraps and magazine issues. I picked mine up a couple weeks ago and the casing date was late Febuary.
You are going to love it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll look for that. I ordered the FNX9 and a S&W M&P 15-22 at the same time, I hope they haven't been sitting on the shelf for long... From what I have read on the forums, it seems they both had their share of issues when new.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would check inside (remove the slide) to make sure there is not any hidden problems or damage; I found a problem with a pistol once (not a FN or S&W) and rejected it on the spot. I would not worry about the FNX-9 (2012 MFR date) as most of the issues have been resolved and they have been produced since 2010.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Fear Not

I have purchased 4 guns from Buds and never had a problem. Boxes were factory packed and sealed. Even if there is a problem with your FNX, FN has a sweet warranty and will take care of you. Congrats on the new gear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have not bought a gun yet and have only handled them on two different occasions. Are you allowed to take them apart and such at the FFL when you buy them? I mean it is YOUR gun so I don't see why not, but is there a difference to if you bring it home and check it and then bring it back? I have never taken a pistol apart though I've seen it done in videos so I don't want to do that for the first time there. Will they help you recognize if there are any problems with your gun or will they say it's okay just to get the money? (I do not really know the guys at the LGS so I don't know how willing they are to help a first timer)

I don't know the process either... Do you have to pay them the transfer fee first before you get your hands on the pistol?

Sorry if this is seen as hijacking the thread I had no intention to do so. After reading the OP I just have a bunch of questions that I never even considered before. I will gladly accept any and all of links to any of the information I asked about before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My FFL went over the pistol with me. I didn't feel comfortable playing with it in his home...so he showed me how to take it apart, oil it etc.... (stuff I mostly knew, but it was nice not fumbling with a gun i didn't know well yet..LOL)

*would he have been ok with me playing? Yes. But even when i buy again, I'll do the same thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have a lot of the same questions, my FFL is at a smitty's shop so I just figured I'd ask for a quick tour around the thing. I figure he should have no problem 'cause he will want future business.

I too don't want to fumble like an ass there in the shop, that's why I started this thread to learn about what I should look for and figured I'd just ask the FFL for a hand when I get it... (which is tomorrow by the way!!!)

When I've bought rifles before, the FFL's have all been great (I mean who doesn't want to talk women, guns and cars?) I asked for a quick tour of the weapon and they told me what they knew... But that was years ago and was their rifle for sale and not from an online retailer..

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have not used the FFL transfer process, so I can't help with specifics. However I would not pay any money without inspecting the gun and I would not leave the FFL or shop without inspecting the gun.

A good gunsmith or shop will have no issues disassembling the gun for inspection. Same goes for letting the buyer check that all magazines drop free and slam home (no fiddling to lock-in).

For someone that has not shot any handguns: Find a shop that will give an overview of the gun and some basic safety guidelines. In my area this tends to run about $75 with range time included.

Ad Edit: My FNX-9 was made/tested in late 2011and is fine.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Depends on the place. The places I've had my guns transferred through, I inspected them, and then paid. Also, if you don't know how to break it down, have them show you. That's why they're there, to help you out.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
This has me interested in making a breakdown thread of the FNX platform. It's really an untroublsome affair, but some may feel inundated by the task at the onset.

Is there already a breakdown thread? :th_shrug:. If not, that might be something for me to tackle tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I've only seen one FNX step-by-step tear down process but without photos. I found it using Google and think it was on a Maryland gun forum (¿shocked?).

·
Registered
480 Posts
Never worry about fumbling around as you are a customer and any store/dealer is there to help customers. Additionally, stores/dealers (FFL License holders) are highly regulated so it is in their interest to have informed customers. You can download the owner's manual and read through the break-down procedure as it is very easy on the FNX.

FNH USA

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok, as someone who has done nearly all purchases as an FFL transfer, I will describe my experience... After making arrangements with the transfer location (so they know who I am, what I am getting transferred, proof of purchase from seller, etc.) the FFL clerk will retrieve my weapon from the receivables and verify the info ensuring that it is for me. Then they open the box, show me the weapon. I can handle it as much as I want, field strip it, etc. The gun will sit on the counter with me during the entire process. It is the clerk's job to identify everything that came with it such as owners manual, cleaning kits, warranty card, etc. The clerk should be happy to help you learn how to take it down and identify the controls. The last weapon I transferred was an FS2000 and all of the employees were beside themselves checking it out. They took turns holding it after I gave them permission to do so. It was funny, they said it looks like the battle rifle from Halo. Anyway, provided that everything checks out and I agree to accept the transfer, I begin the ATF paper work. Once it checks out I pay my transfer fee and any ammo or accessories I need while I am at a gun shop. It really is a straight forward process, no pressure. If you or the clerk found a flaw in your weapon, you could refuse it and send it back to the seller and deal with them on a replacement or refund. Remember that the FFL clerk is not the seller and has limited if any liability for the gun you are picking up. I have never purchased a used firearm so the fact that I watch the clerk open a factory sealed box is comforting. I would be more cautious and thorough with a used gun. *(Sorry for lack of paragraphs... My smartphone will not let me space down).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Okay so from the look of it I should be able to field strip the gun at the range and either accept or deny the transfer. That is comforting to hear. A good friend of mines father is a member at this particular range and they were nice to me last I went to rent and test out an XD (I chose the FNX9 as my first gun that day :D) so I am hoping they continue that good manner.

I read the Owners Manual (thanks Vulcan for the idea) and I also watched a field stripping video on YT and it seemed easy enough. Again I don't know what I'm looking for though when it comes to faults or blemishes that may have occurred during production. Hopefully, the knowledgable staff at my LGS will be willing to give me a heads up just in case even if it means them getting the transfer denied.

If I buy a gun off Buds, which was my plan, will I still have a warranty with FN if there is anything wrong with the gun? Or does that only come with weapons bought directly from the manufacture?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
It's rare to buy a gun direct from a manufacturer (very rare actually). And yes, the warranty is good even if you buy it used.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Bud's Gun Shop is listed as a dealer on the FNH website.

My preference is to buy from a dealer recognized by the manufacturer so if there is an issue the dealer can help expedite things.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts