FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just another informational post.
1st time this has happened, found a spun sideways primer. Took a new FsN out & was letting my budd shoot the PS90, he fired this ( my batch of AE ) it burned down / burned out slowly. Kind of strange, only heard of reloaders getting them in sideways & then correcting. This was loaded from the factory and burned out in the gun.
Needless to say, guess I won't be shooting any AE from the handguns. Almost had this loaded in the new pistol.
AE AGAIN 006.jpg

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yikes. Come on now AE, you're embarrassing yourself.

Reactions: P-Factor

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I've seen this a couple of times with Remington UMC .45 ACP over the years, but always caught it before it got loaded into a magazine.

While it happens, it doesn't speak well of the respective company's quality control...

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In light of nearly a year and a half of issues with this brand has anyone ever heard of someone contacting the company & complaining ?
If so, to what end ?
I may try it, I guess I don't understand how there can be such variations between brands . They must be manufactured in different locations. I never had a failure in any if the 192,195,197,and 198 that I have shot. Yet this stuff produces anomalies almost every trip to the range.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't understand the qc issues. its been stated several times that fiocchi loads all the ss197 ammo for FN as well as the AE fmj stuff and it just gets repackaged in Federal AE boxes. if that's really the case, why soooo many issues with the AE? I don't seem to hear nearly as much if any issues with the ss197 that is supposedly loaded by the same people.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I don't understand the qc issues. its been stated several times that fiocchi loads all the ss197 ammo for FN as well as the AE fmj stuff and it just gets repackaged in Federal AE boxes. if that's really the case, why soooo many issues with the AE? I don't seem to hear nearly as much if any issues with the ss197 that is supposedly loaded by the same people.
I had some VERY light loads on SS197 recently, failed to cycle my PS90.

·
Registered
17 Posts
At least I know my careful reloads are going to be the same every time. They will be slower (for safety) but I'm thinking they will be surer. These complaints about factory ammo are alarming. For a long time all you could get was AE, and I stocked up paying hellacious prices. Then many issues with this brand. Some saying they are dirtier, implying a different powder. But how can it be when they are supposedly loaded by the same FNH supplier and other than the bullet are supposed to be identical? So now issues with our old reliable 197 sporting round? I guess that explains it. The plant loading both brands appears to have some QC problems. Has anyone tried reporting to FNH?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have shot a couple hundred rounds of AE through my PS90 and a rented (dirty and well worn) 5.7 handgun with no issues. The ammo was purchased at different times over the last year or so.

I've learned to give all ammo a quick glance before loading it in any gun. I have caught several problems with factory ammo over the years.

For self defense ammo, I give them a REALLY GOOD visual inspection before loading up. I also shake the ammo. They obviously should sound the same - either all compressed powder loads or not. I have not done the following but I have thought about weighing defensive ammo for consistency before loading it up.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
I have shot a couple hundred rounds of AE through my PS90 and a rented (dirty and well worn) 5.7 handgun with no issues. The ammo was purchased at different times over the last year or so.

I've learned to give all ammo a quick glance before loading it in any gun. I have caught several problems with factory ammo over the years.

For self defense ammo, I give them a REALLY GOOD visual inspection before loading up. I also shake the ammo. They obviously should sound the same - either all compressed powder loads or not. I have not done the following but I have thought about weighing defensive ammo for consistency before loading it up.
The bad news is some of the reported problems with the AE will not show up with a quick glance. They only show up when fired.

Reactions: RobertTX

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Primarily ( JIMO ) varrying round charges. It seems like quality control parameters or the process parameters during manufacturing are ( loose & liberal ??? LOL ) not consistant.
I have had seemingly low powered rounds to high powered rounds in the same box.
It is not a show stopper, it is usable.

Reactions: RobertTX

·
Registered
357 Posts
The bad news is some of the reported problems with the AE will not show up with a quick glance. They only show up when fired.
That...

I sent them an email with pics some time ago. No reply.

Still have many boxes in the ammo can which I dont plan to fire. Haven't sold ammo online and dont know what's involved, so there it sits.

Nothing surprises me with this ammo. For a buck or two more a box for the FNH stuff, this is money well spent. Glad some others have had a better experience than I, but I'm convinced if you shoot enough of this stuff you too will have a tale to tell.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And the projectile moving back into the shell casing.
Now for Man Kave's " The Rest of the Story "... quote courtesy of Paul Harvey.
What usually happens to me, is I will try to clear the round or will try to cycle again and it will do the inevitable " powder dump " into the stock and sometimes moving parts group. This often requires a total dis-assemble and cleaning... I have sometimes been able to remove with out much mess but sometimes another shooter is using the weapon and if I don't catch the preceeding low " boom " I often get the gun back with a problem. If you get enough powder in the action is will stop the cycling and the shooting will cease w/ this weapon for the day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The bullets must have been seated too long. That's not good!

I took a round of AE ammo and colored the exposed bullet with a black permanent marker. I then removed the magazine of my factory stock PS90 and inserted the colored bullet into the chamber and let the bolt slam shut. When I extracted the round the black on the bullet was not disturbed which indicated that this particular round did not touch the lands. The OAL of this round was 1.5845 inches. Perhaps they have issues with seating depth. I do notice that the AE round has more meat on the bullet further forward than the very pointy ss197sr round. The AE round may possibly be seated very close to the lands.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts