FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some of the original AE TMJ that came out. There has been recent discussion that they've changed the bullet design to an actual jacket and the bullet is slightly longer.

I pulled the 2012 stuff I have. It has an entirely exposed base and is charged with 5.3 gr of very fine ball powder that I'm used to seeing:

I pulled a 2014 lot AE TMJ today, and the bullet design still almost the same length as the 2012 lot (.551" vs .549")

What I did notice different was the 4.6gr of circular flake powder:

Going to have to chrono this stuff and see how it stacks up..

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Can you turn the projectiles over so we can see the bases?

Also, how can you tell which lot #s are from what year?
Im guessing that all the AE5738A ammo I have were made in 2014 but I could be wrong and some of the ammo I have could have been sitting on the shelves for a long time

·
Registered
803 Posts
The 2012 powder is probably Ramshot, True Blue powder which is near impossible to find now. I have been looking for it for over a year as I reload this round. The 2014 powder looks like Blue Dot, which is a little easier to find. I use the Hornady 40 gr. V-Max bullet running 5.0 gr. of True Blue powder and have never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Wonder if the flake powder is something by alliant. Blue dot, red dot, or unique. In fact the amount of powder sounds like unique. BUT don't quote me on that. Could be something else I haven't seen and I am in no way an experienced powder identifier.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Both of the AE5728A rounds I dismantled had the fine ball powder just like you posted in the first post.
One round is a fully enclosed FMJ just like the one on the right in your pic of the projectiles and the other round has an exposed base just like the one on the left in your pic.

Both the shells are headstamped FNH 13
I am guessing that the "13" is 2013 for the year of manufacture.
I bought both lots of AE5728A this year.

I have more boxes of AE5728A I bough more recently.
I will pull a round from one of those and see is they changed over to the flake powder from the fine ball powder.

Time me to get more "tennis elbow" banging away with the Lyman kinetic bullet puller again...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Here are the two powders I spoke of in my earlier post. Blue Dot and True Blue.

Here is a close-up of the True Blue powder. It is a very fine ball powder and meters great!

Here is a close-up of the Blue Dot. These flakes meter out good too. Note the blue flakes mixed in with the black ones. In the OP's photo, if you enlarge it, I can see what appears to be "green" flakes intermixed with the black ones. His, (AE) powder may very well be Green Dot.

I use these when reloading the 5.7 round. The Boat Tail base makes for effortless seating and pressing into the case neck.

Compare the powder photos with the OP's and they look similar. Maybe American Eagle switched to the Green Dot powder as it is more readily available or more cost effective.

MAJOR

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Another thought. What is the diameter of the bullets. I have suspected that the original TMJ are smaller diameter and thus easily set back like we all have seen. Then what is the diameter of the new ones? Bet you that they are slightly larger.

Im not sure if this is of any confirmation, but the two AE5728A rounds I pulled apart measured 0.220" & 0.221"
http://fnforum.net/forums/5-7x28mm-ammunition/67960-ss198-bullet-size-2.html

i don't claim accuracy because my dial calipers are plastic and worn so they could be off by a whole hundredth of an inch

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have some of the original AE TMJ that came out. There has been recent discussion that they've changed the bullet design to an actual jacket and the bullet is slightly longer.

I pulled the 2012 stuff I have. It has an entirely exposed base and is charged with 5.3 gr of very fine ball powder that I'm used to seeing:

I pulled a 2014 lot AE TMJ today, and the bullet design still almost the same length as the 2012 lot (.551" vs .549")

What I did notice different was the 4.6gr of circular flake powder:

Going to have to chrono this stuff and see how it stacks up..

I just received 500 rds of AE TMJ on Monday. When I opend the first box of fifty, i notice black pocking through the entire bullet similar to the bullet on the right in your picture. My first thought was it was due to age as I have not seen this before. The Headstamp is 13 for 2013.

Your post is reminiscent of my first thoughts, cost cutting. Maybe yes, maybe no. The SS198 I have with a 14 headstamp look like a much higher quality bullet.

Would like to have an insiders view on this.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Well I'll be... Makes me wonder why bullet set back keeps happening with AE. Wonder if the new stuff won't do this now.
In this link, post #6, Buffman measures the AE5728A projectile and compares it to the SS197SR V-Max Hornady projectile and the AE5728A one is ~0.136 inch shorter than the SS197SR V-Max.
That means the shell brass has ~0.096 in^2 less area to grip to keep it from being pushed back into the brass.

http://fnforum.net/forums/5-7x28mm-ammunition/67960-ss198-bullet-size-2.html

I have a hell of a time trying to dismantle AE5728A rounds with a kinetic hammer, but it can be done.

The SS197SR round cannot be dismantled with a hammer. You cannot pull out the V-Max with pliers neither.
You need to use a reloaded with a puller die to dismantle the SS197SR

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yeah, glue is why you had a hell of time. People say that AE has glue, but from my experience or lots it doesn't. If it did, the bullet set back issue wouldn't exist. Also my reloads have never had a bullet set back. I think it was a faulty bullet construction. Maybe to soft. Gives me better hope the swagged FMJ works.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I opened one of my new AE5728A boxes and the headstamp are "14" on them.

I am going to dismantle one to see if those have flakes like Buffman discovered.
The lot# of this box looks like it's 0930869030.
I cannot discern the 5th character; it could be "4" or "8" or "9" but due to the stamp messing up, I can't tell.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts