FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My budget is limited, but I'm willing to go as far as an Aimpoint or EOTech but I am unsure of what to do.

It seems the PS90's accuracy is comparable to a $300 Romanian/Century AK (about 5"+ at 100 yd). The MC-10-80 isn't bad as long as there's enough light going into one of the collectors, but I am getting a great deal on the USG rail so I am considering aftermarket optics.

I'm looking at the Barska-style reflex sight in Thermallator's Project-X ($50), G&P/Airsoft Aimpoint knock-off ($50), TruGlo 2x 30mm Red dot ($80), Bushnell Holosight ($220), EOTech 512/552 ($330-$380), or an Aimpoint ($430+). I am also considering using the Tasco 38mm red-dot or Leapers T168 (6x) that I already have. The Kobra is a good concept but it only takes lithium batteries and none of the reticles look favorable.

I have considered the Zeiss Z-point, but the general consensus is that it is absolute junk.

My gripe with the Bushnell/EOTech is a meager 2 year warranty, and the Aimpoint has a 10 year warranty. Trijicons are way too expensive. I'd rather give my money to a vendor in China/Russia for a cheap but reliable scope than to a US-based contractor slime POS.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,531 Posts
For ruggedness - you cannot beat Holosight. I went with Barska - will make a shroud for it just to make sure.

Barska is the best bang for the buck. Bright, light (all aluminum), variable apetures and the best part - at fifty bucks, I can break one - no sweat.

Does it withstand the recoil? It does on the M4 - I see no issues with the PS90.

Cheers,

-TH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
I'm going w/the Eotech. Seriously considered the Aimpoint but prefer the Eotech's reticle.
Tomac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered one of those Aimpoint clones that they're selling at AR15.com. If not any good, I may go with an EOTech in the future but they're very expensive for something that will sit in a safe most of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
metroplex said:
I ordered one of those Aimpoint clones that they're selling at AR15.com. If not any good, I may go with an EOTech in the future but they're very expensive for something that will sit in a safe most of the time.
SPOT MkIII? If so I've read good things about them. I bought my Eotechs on sale for $300 each NIB ('AA' 512 version, Rev.F) and am just waiting for my MagazineParts optics rails to arrive to mount them. Heck, I've already spent $1,500 each on my PS90's, what's another $300+ each for decent optics? (Like many others I feel the factory reflex sight is adequate for range use only, for potential HD/SD use I want something better that functions in all light levels).
Tomac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually it's a cheap Aimpoint M2 clone that jackyisxcd sells. The SPOT Mark III is too expensive for a made in Korea clone.

Where did you find the 512 for $300 shipped? The cheapest I can get them is about $315 shipped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
metroplex said:
Actually it's a cheap Aimpoint M2 clone that jackyisxcd sells. The SPOT Mark III is too expensive for a made in Korea clone.
Where did you find the 512 for $300 shipped? The cheapest I can get them is about $315 shipped.
Got in on a "4th of July" 20% off sale at Quantico Arms. Here's a pic of one of my PS90's w/an Eotech mounted on the MagazineParts optics rail & their dual mag clamp setup. The dual mag makes for excellent cheekweld w/the Eotech whereas a single mag gives me a minimal chinweld.
Tomac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I've not worked with too much, but I'd say Eotech hands down. Lil [email protected]*d saved my life more than once. However, I'm not sure how it will fit with the standard cheak weld on the ps90. Seems a lil tall to me. I was trying to find a bushnell holosight XLP and see how it looked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I've not worked with too much, but I'd say Eotech hands down. Lil [email protected]*d saved my life more than once. However, I'm not sure how it will fit with the standard cheek weld on the ps90. Seems a lil tall to me. I was trying to find a bushnell holosight XLP and see how it looked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,557 Posts
I really love my Eotech as well. I sighted it in at 50 yards a couple of weeks ago. I got 1/2" groups at 50 yards if I didn't mess up and shake the rifle as I pulled the trigger (I used sandbags for a rest on the bottom of the rifle)

I got mine for around $300 from Top Gun Supply. He had a sale listed on the SIgForum. But he has sold out (I got his last one earlier this month), and I think the sale was a 1x deal.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
Due to the lack of decent BUIS on the PS90 I've become leery of optics that are 100% dependent upon batteries, regardless of known quality/track record. So, as much as I prefer the Eotech's reticle I've replaced them w/the Trijicon Tripower which uses tritium & fiber optics for most situations w/battery backup illumination for those few times when the tritium/fiber optics don't provide sufficient reticle contrast.
Tomac

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
metroplex said:
I just use the original BUIS along with the EOTech.
My aging eyes can't handle the poor factory BUIS & short sight radius so I added fiber optics to the MagazineParts optics rail for my BUIS and now I can bounce 1-liter coke bottles @50yds.
Tomac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
metroplex said:
You can actually see the fiber optics through all that tactical gear?
Having previously used the Eotech on my PS90's I can honestly say the fiber optic BUIS are just as usable w/the Tripower attached as the factory BUIS w/the Eotech attached... :wink: That's why the Tripower is on the ARMS TX10 QD mount so I can access the fiber optic BUIS quickly if needbe.
Tomac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My PS90 is already heavier than my AR-15 with the EOTech and tri-rail mount. I'd imagine with a laser, flashlight, and an extra mag that it would rival an AK's loaded weight!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
metroplex said:
My PS90 is already heavier than my AR-15 with the EOTech and tri-rail mount. I'd imagine with a laser, flashlight, and an extra mag that it would rival an AK's loaded weight!
My PS90's w/Tripower, M3-LED taclight, internal laser & dual mags w/100rds loaded and ready to go weigh in right at 9.5lbs. How much would an AR or AK weigh w/the same capabilities & onboard ammo supply?
Tomac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tomac said:
metroplex said:
My PS90 is already heavier than my AR-15 with the EOTech and tri-rail mount. I'd imagine with a laser, flashlight, and an extra mag that it would rival an AK's loaded weight!
My PS90's w/Tripower, M3-LED taclight, internal laser & dual mags w/100rds loaded and ready to go weigh in right at 9.5lbs. How much would an AR or AK weigh w/the same capabilities & onboard ammo supply?
Tomac
My PS90 with the EOTech, Tri-Rail, and 50rd mag weighs about 8.25 lb
My AR-15 with iron sights (all I need) and 30rd mag weighs 7.25 lb. The AR-15 is superior to the PS90 for effective range, lethality (5.56x45 NATO >> 5.7x28 FN), and ergonomics. The PS90 is a fun range toy and something different to play with, but it isn't superior to the AR15. No amount of lasers, tacticool flashlights, or quadruple mag couplers will change that. My Vepr (16.5" RPK) weighs about 9 lb with a 30rd mag and is good out to 250-300 yd with cheap 7.62x39 ammo. Again, it has superior range and lethality to the PS90. I could carry around 100 rd of 22LR but it isn't going to make the weapon more lethal than something shooting genuine rifle cartridges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
metroplex said:
My PS90 with the EOTech, Tri-Rail, and 50rd mag weighs about 8.25 lb
My AR-15 with iron sights (all I need) and 30rd mag weighs 7.25 lb. The AR-15 is superior to the PS90 for effective range, lethality (5.56x45 NATO >> 5.7x28 FN), and ergonomics. The PS90 is a fun range toy and something different to play with, but it isn't superior to the AR15. No amount of lasers, tacticool flashlights, or quadruple mag couplers will change that. My Vepr (16.5" RPK) weighs about 9 lb with a 30rd mag and is good out to 250-300 yd with cheap 7.62x39 ammo. Again, it has superior range and lethality to the PS90. I could carry around 100 rd of 22LR but it isn't going to make the weapon more lethal than something shooting genuine rifle cartridges.
Comparing the AR to the PS90 is apples and oranges as you well know. The P90/PS90 was never designed to replace or compete w/a battle rifle or a battle rifle's requirements. But since you insist...
Longer range? I can't imagine *any* scenario where I would need more than 100yds of effective range, much less the PS90's 200m. Can you present a realistic scenario where a civilian would need the AR's longer range?
Ergonomics? The PS90 is fully ambidextrous (is the AR?), can be easily fired from prone (the AR?) and mags are more easily changed from prone (the AR?). The PS90 also keeps the weight in closer where it's easier to manuever in tight spaces and minimizes user fatigue.
Lethality: Presuming the same aggressive & determined BG, range & hit location, how much practical difference would we see between your fav 5.56 load and, say, the 40gr SS197 5.7 load? Hard data, please...
"Tacticool"?... I suggest you have a word w/our boys in the sandbox who don't seem to view lasers, taclights & cqb optics as "tacticool" toys, rather as lifesaving necessities...
I find it interesting that when I ask for a weight comparison between platforms w/identical capabilities you present platforms w/less capabilities...
Tomac
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top