FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm looking at one of these sights and had a question. What's the difference between the 2 MOA and 4 MOA? Why would I want one over the other? Doesn't the 2 MOA allow for finer adjustments? I'm confused... :?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
The 4 MOA has a larger dot. The smaller the dot, the easier it is to shoot at long distances, such as 100 yards. A 4 MOA dot at 100 yards covers more of the target itself. It's hard to be exact where U want the rounds at when U are shooting that distance. The 2 MOA will be easier to be more precise at long distances.

I love the 1 MOA middle dot on the Eotech. Makes it very easy to shoot small groups at 50 yards.

However, the Eotech also has a large 65 MOA reticle. That makes for quick acquisition at close distances.

The downside of the 2 MOA dot is in close combat, it's harder to quickly pick up the smaller red dot when U need it in a hurry. So, there is a tradeoff. The 4 MOA is quicker for fast shooting, up close. How much quicker? Depends on the person, their eyes, and their training.

So, ya gotta figure out which way ya wanna go.

Personally, I'd go with the 2 MOA.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Here's a decent representation of moa dot sizes. I don't if it's perfectly accurate, but you get the idea.

I like 2moa well enough. If I turn the brightness way up its pretty easy to see quickly.

http://www.cmore.com/diode.html

TA

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, the P(S)90s were designed as personal defense weapons, not as long range rifles which most people can't seem to stop comparing them too (in general - I'm not pointing fingers). I doubt I'll ever need to shoot at something in a defensive situation that is further than 100 yards (baring a zombie outbreak). I have excellent vision (20/15), so should be able to see the tiny 2 MOA dot, but I can't help wondering if the 4 MOA would be better to have on a PDW weapon for faster sight/target acquisition?

I have also been thinking more about the EOTech holo sights, but the dot in the center of their circle is only 1 MOA. Not to mention I'm already familiar with the Aimpoint sights having been issued an M4 w/ CCO for my job in the Army.

Blarg. :?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, even at 50 yards, I make good use of that 1 MOA dot on the EOtech. But, the 65 MOA circle would be used up close at a fast speed. So, don't think that the 1 MOA dot would slow ya down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
the eotech also has multiple reticle points allowing precision at multiple distances. For me, this is absolultely essential if you are going to be shooting at different distances with an optic mounted so high above the boreline.

With an aimpoint its just a matter of holdover/hold under. I dont like guessing.

I love the aimpoint on my AR's but for the PS90 the Eotech or ACOG with multiple reference points is superior.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You all make a good case for the EOTech, and I do like Bud's price...

Hmmm...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts