FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
That would be a whole lotta optic to tote around. I'm a big aimpoint fan, and an even bigger Elcan fan, and that sounds like a not-great set up even to me.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Not that I am aware of SCARFace17 but maybe a 45 offset mounted to the rail could accomplish what your after? I'm putting a trijicon RMR on top of the ELCAN this week and going to give it a whirl. But, Kalmar uses a 45 degree offset from the rail I believe and so I have been thinking about that also.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Maybe your looking for something along the line of this-

seriously I'd say go with a rmr like buckeye--- save weight, and give you another reason to buy another gun!!!

Attachments

·
Banned
617 Posts
But, Kalmar uses a 45 degree offset from the rail I believe and so I have been thinking about that also.
I don't, but that is certainly a viable option - especially in the case of fixed or high powered variable rifle scopes. What doesn't make sense to me, is mounting a 1x red dot sight on top of your 1x red dot sight. Because that's what a Specter is supposed to be on the unmagnified setting. I'm all for redundancy, but you're already placing a brick on top your rails with the Elcan. Ask yourself: What capability does placing another red dot optic on your rifle (anywhere) bring to the table and does the benefit outweigh the added cost, weight and complexity of doing so?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not that I am aware of SCARFace17 but maybe a 45 offset mounted to the rail could accomplish what your after? I'm putting a trijicon RMR on top of the ELCAN this week and going to give it a whirl. But, Kalmar uses a 45 degree offset from the rail I believe and so I have been thinking about that also.
I'll never buy another trijicon RMR, they're really not "rugged" at all. I do however trust Aimpoint micros and they really don't weigh a whole lot more.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Sorry about that. I guess I remember a previous post where you suggested the 45 offset for the RMR as it provides a better/easier cheek-weld for transitions. I was too lazy to search for your thread with the pics of your two SCARS. While I don't disagree with your notion at all Kalmar, I'm stubborn so I ordered the mounting plates for the RMR's & ELCANS and will try it out this simmer since I have some RMR's taking up space. But, I will also they the 45 degree offset this fall. Thanks for the input Kalmar.

I don't, but that is certainly a viable option - especially in the case of fixed or high powered variable rifle scopes. What doesn't make sense to me, is mounting a 1x red dot sight on top of your 1x red dot sight. Because that's what a Specter is supposed to be on the unmagnified setting. I'm all for redundancy, but you're already placing a brick on top your rails with the Elcan. Ask yourself: What capability does placing another red dot optic on your rifle (anywhere) bring to the table and does the benefit outweigh the added cost, weight and complexity of doing so?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts