Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EO Tech 512 on Magazine Parts Optics Rail

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done research on both and i can't decide. i have an EO Tech 512 on my AR-15, so I'm pretty familar with them. I've only used and Aimpoint ML2 one time with 4 moa dot. I did not like the 4 moa dot but now aimpoint has a 2 moa dot.

I'm probably going to try a dual magazine clamp at some point if that helps.

I like both so i'm leaving the decision up to you guys. Help me decide, i'm very close to buying one of these options.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've owned/used both on the PS90 and while I prefer the Eotech's reticle I find that it sits very high over the bore and you lose good cheekweld when using a single mag. I now use the TROS mount w/Aimpoint and not only do I feel the mount itself is more rugged than most PS90 optic rails (4 screws to secure it vs 2) but it places the Aimpoint as low as physically possible which results in excellent cheekweld when using a single mag. However, using a dual mag setup you have good cheekweld w/the Eotech on an optic rail but must still deal with the excessive sight height over bore issue w/regards to trajectory & POA/POI at various ranges. IMHO the TROS/Aimpoint setup is about as rugged & KISS as you can get (leave it on 24/7 for literally years w/o battery worries). Unfortunately, Eotech seems to be having some QC issues recently although the only problem I ever had with any of my Eotech 512's was one that would suck batteries dry even when turned off.
HTH...
Tomac

·
Registered
265 Posts
Aimpoints are far sturdier, more reliable optics than the Eotech.

To paraphrase a friend of mine....."Batteries in Aimpoints last longer than most people's marriages."

I like the reticle of the Eotech, but not the reliablity.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
The batteries do last longer on the Aimpoint. But, I'd still pick an EOtech (thats what I have). I like the reticle better. The center dot is set for 50 yards.

But the very bottom edge of my Eotech will hit at 7 yards or less - household distances. At up close - I need not "guess" or have to use a laser. And, I find the eotech very durable with the metal cage around it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
EOTech for me. I've used the Aimpoints with M-16s and M-4s while I've been enlisted, and I'll take the nice wide view lens of an EOTech over the tube-view Aimpoint any day!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
FSCJedi said:
EOTech for me. I've used the Aimpoints with M-16s and M-4s while I've been enlisted, and I'll take the nice wide view lens of an EOTech over the tube-view Aimpoint any day!
:? :? :? :?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
like i said it's a hard decision for me to make, i like the FOV and reticle on the eo tech and the battery life and low mount on the aim point.

i don't know anyone i shoot with that has a ps90, so i'm looking to you guys to help me make my decision. Thanks for the answers so far.

i hope more people will chime in with pros and cons of the setups they have or have used, especially if they have had experience with both setups or have gone from one to the other like tomac

·
Registered
569 Posts
horse9640 said:
like i said it's a hard decision for me to make, i like the FOV and reticle on the eo tech and the battery life and low mount on the aim point.
i don't know anyone i shoot with that has a ps90, so i'm looking to you guys to help me make my decision. Thanks for the answers so far.
i hope more people will chime in with pros and cons of the setups they have or have used, especially if they have had experience with both setups or have gone from to the other like tomac
What do you plan to use your PS90 for? Range use only? Home defense? SHTF? What's your budget for this?
Tomac
ETA: I also find the Aimpoint's rotary switch faster/easier to use than the Eotech's buttons. Plus, since I don't have to turn the Aimpoint off due to the extreme battery life it's faster to get into action if needbe as it can be left on 24/7 with maybe just a slight brightness adjustment needed. The Eotech does conserve battery life with its auto-off feature (4 or 8 hrs selectable) but that means its slower to get into action since you have to turn it on before use and brightness adjustments take longer (that may or may not be important to you).
HTH...
Tomac

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the first reason is to upgrade the factory white sight (i've got no intrest in the REM3), yes it would be for the range but mainly to make the weapon more effective by being able to acquire and engage targets faster with accuracy at any range in any light condition

i'm not going to say budget doesn't matter because it does, but the price difference between the two options is very close

i guess i'm interested in what people have to say about the choices they have made for their own ps90's and if they would recommend that choice or suggest something else.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does anybody have an idea of how long an aimpoint battery will last if it was left on a medium brightness level, that way you could pick it up and be ready to fight in most light coditions without having to adjust it

i know aimpoint advertises a battery life of 50,000 hours but i'm sure thats on the lowest setting

·
Registered
569 Posts
horse9640 said:
does anybody have an idea of how long an aimpoint battery will last if it was left on a medium brightness level, that way you could pick it up and be ready to fight in most light coditions without having to adjust it.
i know aimpoint advertises a battery life of 50,000 hours but i'm sure thats on the lowest setting
50,000hrs is for the 7th setting out of 10 on the M/ML-3 series (bright enough for taclight use at night or not overly bright daytime conditions), 500,000hrs on the lowest setting of the M3 (ML3 is off at the lowest setting).
Tomac
ETA: IIRC battery life is 10,000hrs (over a year of 24/7 use) at the brightest setting for the M3 or ML3.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow thanks for the info that may be the deciding factor

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
im going to go with the eotech 551 w 3x magnifier.

·
Registered
569 Posts
iCeMaN said:
im going to go with the eotech 551 w 3x magnifier.
Are you going to be able to fit all that on the PS90?
Tomac

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Yup:) i tested this at my local gun shop

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i feel i don't need the magnifier on this weapon system, how do you like the eo tech though?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I dont own one yet :( but i really liked it easy to use, durable and sounds like it is efficient

·
Registered
265 Posts
horse9640 said:
does anybody have an idea of how long an aimpoint battery will last if it was left on a medium brightness level, that way you could pick it up and be ready to fight in most light coditions without having to adjust it

4-5 years.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about aimpoint! I think that you couldnt go wrong with either one!

·
Registered
569 Posts
iCeMaN said:
I think that you couldnt go wrong with either one!
+1. Both are combat-proven, a lot of personal preference is involved.
Tomac

1 - 20 of 36 Posts