FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I swore to myself that I'd never start an optics question thread. Well, I'm breaking that vow. Apologies in advance.

I was initially planning on putting a T-1 on my 17. But the frugal part of me (long dormant until now) would like to save a couple of bucks. Would the PRO be a good fit for the 17? Or should I buck up and spend the extra cash? I currently have both optics and am a fan of both. I know the T-1 weights less than the PRO, any other considerations?

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
957 Posts
used my PRO on the 17 and it was fine but the rifle has more legs in it than the red dot sights in my opinion. The PRO and T1 are better suited to the 16. Saving up for a leupold mark 6 3-18 x 44 or USO 1-8 or another similar optic for the 17.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
used my PRO on the 17 and it was fine but the rifle has more legs in it than the red dot sights in my opinion. The PRO and T1 are better suited to the 16. Saving up for a leupold mark 6 3-18 x 44 or USO 1-8 or another similar optic for the 17.
I definitly want something with some more range at some point. But for now I'm just looking for something for plinking within a 100 yards.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
You definitely need some 'X's on a optic for the 17 . You want to be able to reach out and touch the world. I have a 3.5x acog on mine and love it

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You definitely need some 'X's on a optic for the 17 . You want to be able to reach out and touch the world. I have a 3.5x acog on mine and love it
If I go with the PRO, I was thinking of mating it with an Aimpoint 3X magnifier a little farther down the line. Any thoughts on that set-up?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
check out the H1 if you haven't. You can find them for around $400ish sometimes. Do you really need night vision compatibility?

·
Registered
957 Posts
If I go with the PRO, I was thinking of mating it with an Aimpoint 3X magnifier a little farther down the line. Any thoughts on that set-up?
I don't have a magnifier so I can't help you there. If someone wants me to do some testing and let me borrow theirs I would be more than happy to reports the results......:lol:

With the the pro you can ring steel out to 300 yards no problem. I could not hit the 500 regular enough to recommend for this but this could just be user induced fail.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
check out the H1 if you haven't. You can find them for around $400ish sometimes. Do you really need night vision compatibility?
Good point. I honestly don't see NV gear in my future.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I recommend a true scope for the 17. You can make due at 100 with irons. But the 17 deserves more than "making due " :-D! And so do you my friend. Put a scope on that bad boy and don't look back. By the time you pay 400$ and another 400$ for a magnifier you could have yourself a nice Leupold or an accupoint. .308 rifle that is capable out to 800 yards....

That being said if you just want something for the meantime there isn't much better than an Aimpoint for clarity and weight. I hope this helps.

Reactions: akitainu

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I have an M4S on my 16 and have had the Pro on there as well. I traded into a PA 3x magnifier and the concept works alright, although with both its heavier than lots of 1-4x scopes.

I think that the 17 is deserving of at least 4x, preferably more but you have to balance the weight additions carefully of you'll turn it into a heavy pig, regardless of how svelt the SCAR began. I think top end should be around 10x in you intend to keep it as a battle carbine and not attempt to make it a precision type build.

Again, for me it's all about form factor and weight.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My Leupold Hog Plex is roughly the same thing as most 1.25 to 4 scopes and with the lighted red dot is about the same price as a PRO. I don't have any problem "both eyeing" the 1.25. Some people do, but it is a wonderful scope for the money and a natural for the SCAR.

Not trying to sell them, but I think it is a REALLY good match.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Btw Akitainu, did I miss an incoming thread? I didn't realize you picked up a 17.

also, haven't had any Pms confirming anyone is willing to let me use their magnifier with my Aimpoint!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had the PRO on my 17. I loved it and hated it. The tension knob on the left side interfered with the charging handle. However, if you are running and EACH, it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You don't necessarily need a magnified optic to "reach out and touch the world" as some gentlemen are suggesting. Is this rifle capable of doing so? Absolutely! But when it comes down to you philosophy of use is what will determine what optic you have. I currently run a PRO on my 17 and it works just fine. I'm upgrading to an H-1 to save on a little weight and to slim it down a little. I don't need magnified optics on mine because I'm currently running mine as a battle rifle with some CQB applications. However, if you want to use it for hunting, and/or reach out a few hundred yards, then yes I would look into a magnified optic.

Reactions: akitainu

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Btw Akitainu, did I miss an incoming thread? I didn't realize you picked up a 17.

also, haven't had any Pms confirming anyone is willing to let me use their magnifier with my Aimpoint!
No, I don't have it yet. As long as it's still in stock, I'm putting a down payment on Thursday. I won't have it in hand until February. I have managed to squirrel nearly everything away except the optic. So there's no hurry.

Thanks to everyone for all the input. Of course, now I'm farther away from a decision than I was when I posted. I'll never sigh "Oh, great. Another optics thread" again. I have choked on my own smugness.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I have a T-1 on an AR and a Pro on the 16s. Both work just fine. Obviously the T-1 is smaller but I couldn't fork over the cake for another one. So far I am happy with the PRO on the 16. Also if your 17 is FDE they make a cool rubberized FDE cover for the PRO which blends in nicely. Also, I rotated the base with the tension knob to the other side so it's completely out of the way. I picked this tip up from a forum member a while back but I don't remember who it was.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts