FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm going to be travelling to Texas to visit my friends, and I'm taking my guns with me for a bit of recreational shooting. I know Florida's laws regarding carrying weapons in a car, but I don't know the first thing about the 4 states past Florida.

I do not have a concealed carry permit, as neither of my weapons are readily concealable.

I know open carry of a pistol in Texas is illegal, but that rifles are legal.

So, if you're in one of these states, and you KNOW your state laws, I need to know how I can carry my weapons without risking breaking any laws.

My general idea is to have the pistol and rifle unloaded in the trunk, and the ammo in the cab.

However, Florida considers a vehicle personal property, and concealed carry of a loaded weapon in the car is legal, but it MUST be concealed. No CC permit required.

I recall recently reading that some state has a law that if you have a vehicle in your car, it must be readily visible, unless you have a CC, otherwise it's a felony.

So, need your knowledge!

Forgot this bit...

My rifle's case is a bit too long to fit into my trunk I think...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried looking at that and I couldn't find anything about the carrying within a vehicle.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Texas - Pistols can be carried loaded in a car but they MUST be concealed.
Do I need a CC permit though if it's in the vehicle, or is considered private property?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Here in LA a car is considered an extension of your home and a pistol, loaded or not, is fine if concealed in your car. No CC required.
Rifles are ok too, thou I wouldn't keep it loaded.
Also open carry is legal here. No CC req'd

Reactions: USonuMabeaCh

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I just need to cover Mawsappi and Ol Bammer....

From what I've read, Bama is unfriendly to my situation, but I do know that things have been changing over the last year and a half...

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Ill be doing the opposite in a couple months. Heading from Texas to Destin, FL for a week and I need to figure this stuff out too. :) Great thread idea!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I have to rescind what I said, I didn't find it directly in the link you gave, but from the same website I did end up finding some PDFs that individually list each state's laws and they are rather long reads, but I found that Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi are ok with the pistol being loaded and concealed in the car without a CC permit. Alabama... not ok. Same regarding the rifle being visible.

I'm fairly certain I won't manage to fit my big ass case in my trunk, so am I breaking the law having it across the back seat of my car in AL/FL?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Here in LA a car is considered an extension of your home and a pistol, loaded or not, is fine if concealed in your car. No CC required.
Rifles are ok too, thou I wouldn't keep it loaded.
Also open carry is legal here. No CC req'd
Open carry is legal in La.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I live in La., and travel frequently through all the states you mentioned plus others up to and including
NC. I keep all firearms u loaded and in the trunk. Ammo is kept in the trunk also.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Kind of surprised you don't have a carry permit, I'm sure you have your reasons. I know this is not a state in question, but food for thought, in OH you can open carry in car, but was suggested by OSHP that it be on the dash in very plain sight, and was warned that if pulled over, the officer would draw on me. That feeling sux and I don't like it. Sh!t happens ! That was before getting my permit and was working in Cleveland a lot. OH permit was pretty hard nosed the first couple of years, especially with reciprocity with other states, that's why I also got my Utah carry permit. It's great, reciprocates with 39 other states, very convenient for travel. Have a safe trip and a good time ! just my .02

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
I live in La., and travel frequently through all the states you mentioned plus others up to and including
NC. I keep all firearms u loaded and in the trunk. Ammo is kept in the trunk also.

This is the best way. In Texas, if your firearms are in your trunk you have nothing to worry about. You can carry a loaded rifle in the passenger compartment. You can carry a loaded pistol in the passenger compartment as long as it is concealed but being from out of state I would suggest to avoid a possible inquisition that you keep the pistol in the trunk too. If you get stopped by an LEO, tell him that you have firearms in your trunk and why. Your admission will go a long way with the officer.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again guys, my rifle case is too large for my trunk (pelican 1750). Am I going to get in trouble with it in my back seat, locked and unloaded? Was thinking about keeping the ammo in the trunk, and throwing the pistol in the trunk for the duration of AL.

Boomslang, the reason I don't have a carry permit is because none of the firearms I own are small enough to conceal, and my state allows me to carry a loaded weapon concealed in the vehicle without a permit. As it stands currently, it's just wasted money. If I ever get a pistol small enough to carry, then I'll get the permit.

Reactions: BOOMSLANG

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
If you are traveling from state to state, I strongly suggest putting all firearms in the trunk. Get a soft case for the rifle.

Besides the potential police problem, you are setting yourself up for having your rifle stolen. The back seat is not the place for a firearm on an extended trip, even if it is well hidden. You will have to leave your vehicle for food and restroom breaks. If your car is broken into, you will loose you rifle for sure.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I just moved back to the Great State of Texas from Biloxi area MS. It is legal to open carry in MS.

·
Registered
443 Posts
In MS your vehicle is an extension of your home and you do not need a CC permit to have a weapon in your vehicle, either exposed or concealed. I think the path you will be traveling is very gun friendly and you should not experience any problems with "our kind of people" along the way.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Keep in mind that in Texas you must be in control of the vehicle, castle doctrine does not apply to passengers. The weapons may be loaded and ready to use, but must be inaccessable to others. No cc permit required. I drove to Louisiana a few months ago and carried loaded and concealed with no worry, the law is nearly identical there. PM me if you are going anywhere near Houston.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mississippi has an agreement with FL so,you are clear. MS also considers your car as part of your home and you can have a loaded weapon in your car whether you have,a CC permit or not. So stop as you travel thru MS and get some good Bar-B-Que or fish. Have a safe trip.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts