FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only guy here that has zero interest in owning a revolver? I seem to always catch hell from some people for not having at least 1....

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm not a revolver guy for a few reasons, but there are certain things they can do that semi-auto guns don't handle well or easily. Compare and contrast a Desert Eagle to your basic S&W revolvers chambered in .357 Mag and .44 Mag.

Revolvers should be appreciated on their own terms. Due to their fixed barrel they have an inherent accuracy advantage over most semi-auto pistols. In the hands of a skilled shooter, they have a cyclic rate advantage over a semi-auto. -Watching Jerry Miculek's demonstrations are stunning.

I'm not saying you should own one, but they don't need magazines or speed loaders to work. They don't need require the shooter to flip off the safety. And they generally do not jam. They are all go...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Revolvers have their pupose!
My S&W 629 Classic DX 44 mag, 6.5 inch barrel length, 3.5 lb trigger pull makes deer shake in their hooves when I walk into the woods! :shock:

·
Registered
249 Posts
The only volver I own is my granfathers carry pistol for KCPD. It's a .38 smith&wesson. It's beat to hell, with holster wear like you've never seen. :D It gives it character though. I'll never sell it. :shock:

That's the only revolver I want in my collection............for now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
nope, can't stand the things

sorry about the pic quality.

"Never trust a woman or an automatic" John Dillinger

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Like everything, revolvers have there uses. I just don't have a need for those uses.

Side note: In watching the video (Very impressive) I did take note of a couple of things.

1) I can still fire 12 rounds faster out of a glock 17 without the need of reloading and still have rounds left in the mag.

2) He drops his head, taking his eyes off the target, to reload.

I do agree that for hunting, the revolver is a better handgun than an auto for that purpose because they are more reliable and very accurate, then again, a rifle is better for hunting than any handgun. To each his own.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wlcohen said:
all serious gun owners should have at least one revolver

See.... That is what I hear all the time... Who says... :lol: Am I any less of a serious gun owner for not having one?

I get the same sometimes for giving up on 1911s - however, I have owned five 1911s over the years. I'm just tired of having some type of issue with each one, however - and I shoot my P99 consistently better or just as well anyway.

But sorry - no revolvers...

·
Registered
520 Posts
what issues did you have with the 1911s? only issue i ever had was the standard hammer/grip safety biting the webbing between my thumb and trigger finger.

beavertail safeties fixed that. :?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't have a problem with revolvers. That being said, I've only bought one, a ruger redhawk. I don't have a desire to buy any others, except possibly a S&W 357 scandium snubbie for a pocket rocket.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hank said:
what issues did you have with the 1911s? only issue i ever had was the standard hammer/grip safety biting the webbing between my thumb and trigger finger.

1 had a refinishing screwup (6 month wait in 1996 for Springfield to hard chrome th gun - got it back - it was screwed up) - although I did sell it to pay for a telescope. 1 had blue steel parts exuding a rusting liquid for many years. One was a Dan Wesson with Big Dot sights. I HATED the sights - and the large cut in the slide was going to keep me from changing the sights out w/o having a smith weld some metal onto the rear of the slide.

One was a $1000 aluminum Kimber that I loved. 2 weeks after I bought it - I discovered info on the 1911 forum about the dreaded "aluminum gouge." I checked - I was starting to get that "gouge" inside of the grip from the metal follower. Only problem was that the gun would not work unless I used stock mags. It jammed with Wilson and other mags that would have solved the problem. I wasn't going to see a gun ware that much before my very eyes - as after 200 rounds, I was starting to develop that gouge. I also was surprised at the amount of wear on the aluminum feed ramp after just 200 rounds. So, I swore off aluminum 1911s after that.

And finally - I had a $1200 TRP - I was never really happy with the accuracy of the sights. I then had Tripp Research hard chrome the frame and small parts, and had the slide covered in cobra coat. He screwed up the gun, and when I gave him a chance to fix it - it came back still screwed up. And, after he removed the sights more than once (because of the work) - they no longer fit flush to the slide, and the accuracy was even worse. I took a loss on that gun big time.

No more 1911s after all this crap - not when I shoot my $565 P99 A/S as well or better. I have a friend who had an expensive WIlson 1911, and he had the same issue - he shot the P99 better - consistently.

·
Registered
156 Posts
No offense Shipwreck but it sounds like you are not trying the right 1911's. The Dan Wesson one had sights and a sight cut you didn't like. The Kimber had an aluminum frame. The TRP was not right from factory but you sent it off to Tripp and they messed it up worse. It's fair for you to make these complaints, but they are not due to the platform. These all sound like problems from companies that either deviated from from the basic design or did a less than acceptable job in manufacturing the pistol.

At this point, most companies will deviate in some way, shape, or form from the original design. That said, I think you would be in for a real treat if you started with a Wilson, Nighthawk, or some brand on that level. It's not uncommon to see used Wilson CQB's going between $1500 and $1800. Aside from being built well, the nice thing about Wilson is they have a great warranty.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hear what you are saying - and I still like looking at 1911s. However - I look at it this way. I took a chance on a $1200 1911.

Why should I spend $1000+ again for a 1911 when I still will shoot better with my P99. Besides the 1911s I have owned, I have shot many others. I know how I shoot with them I still prefer my P99. After the last 1911, I decided - what was the point.

I used to shoot a 1911 better than any other style of gun. Not anymore. I don't feel like dumping the cash into another expensive 1911.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I also have a Ruger GP100 .357 Mag that is just a blast to shoot!

Devildoc wrote:
I do agree that for hunting, the revolver is a better handgun than an auto for that purpose because they are more reliable and very accurate, then again, a rifle is better for hunting than any handgun. To each his own.
Devildoc I agree with you on above statement! However I Like to get those Venison's up close and personal! I like to shoot em with crossbows too I often wait till they are within 10 yards just to see how close they get!
The Adrenalin rush flows better when they get close and you look them in the eyes!

And here in Ohio We can't use a rifle on them! Our choices are"
Handgun 5" min. barrel straight walled cartridge .357 mag or bigger.
Crossbow / Longbow
Muzzleloading Rifle 38 caliber or larger
Shotgun with slugs/sabots
Most hunt with shotguns during "deer gun week"

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
venison-hunter, I hear ya man. Here in NC crossbows are a no-no. or should I say you have to be greater than 50% upper body disabled to hunt with crossbow. Here locally, Shotgun, blackpowder, and bow are it. Now back home in Vermont, the 30-06, 300 win, and 30-30 are the common tools of the trade in my neck of the woods.

Now back when I was a kid, my dad took a black bear with a 8" 357mag S&W revolver (His 30-06 froze up after it fell in the creek in the winter). So like I said, Revolvers are very dependable.

·
Registered
520 Posts

1 had a refinishing screwup (6 month wait in 1996 for Springfield to hard chrome th gun - got it back - it was screwed up) - although I did sell it to pay for a telescope. 1 had blue steel parts exuding a rusting liquid for many years. One was a Dan Wesson with Big Dot sights. I HATED the sights - and the large cut in the slide was going to keep me from changing the sights out w/o having a smith weld some metal onto the rear of the slide.

One was a $1000 aluminum Kimber that I loved. 2 weeks after I bought it - I discovered info on the 1911 forum about the dreaded "aluminum gouge." I checked - I was starting to get that "gouge" inside of the grip from the metal follower. Only problem was that the gun would not work unless I used stock mags. It jammed with Wilson and other mags that would have solved the problem. I wasn't going to see a gun ware that much before my very eyes - as after 200 rounds, I was starting to develop that gouge. I also was surprised at the amount of wear on the aluminum feed ramp after just 200 rounds. So, I swore off aluminum 1911s after that.

And finally - I had a $1200 TRP - I was never really happy with the accuracy of the sights. I then had Tripp Research hard chrome the frame and small parts, and had the slide covered in cobra coat. He screwed up the gun, and when I gave him a chance to fix it - it came back still screwed up. And, after he removed the sights more than once (because of the work) - they no longer fit flush to the slide, and the accuracy was even worse. I took a loss on that gun big time.

No more 1911s after all this crap - not when I shoot my $565 P99 A/S as well or better. I have a friend who had an expensive WIlson 1911, and he had the same issue - he shot the P99 better - consistently.
i gotta agree with BreakerDave- sounds like you got some you didn't like right from the get-go. if you ever do decide to try them again- try a springfield px9109l (i think). it's the gov't sized parked and loaded. i owned four 1911s- that one, two colt CCOs, and an argentine. loved them all, but the springer was my favorite. had to sell it when i was uemploued a few years ago. :(

still kicking myself over the CCOs, too. had one, sold it. bought another. sold it. grrrrrrrrrrrr... :-?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well - I didn't start this thread about 1911s - it was about revolvers. I only answered a question that has since come up...

I hear what you guys are saying - but I don't wanna take a trip down the 1911 wagon right now. I've lost too much money on them over the years - and not all was related to decisions I made.

While the new Kimber SIS model looks sweet - I don't want to spend that much money on handguns any more. My next 45 will be an XD 45. I wanted a HK45 - but once again - I don't want to spend that much money.

Right now - I have a gun I shoot better than any other (I've purchased and sold/traded many guns away over the years - so I have experience with numerous makes/models). I've given up on finding another gun I shoot as well as my P99 - I just buy guns I like right now - or ones I have wanted for a long time. But, they are all range toys.

I don't see the point in spending so much money in something I'm not that interested in any longer.

Of 1911s I have been interested in (in the past) - I usually am interested in have magwells and some other features I've always liked. So, I don't care for some of the cheaper 1911s. And, at this point in my life - I refuse to spend that much money on a handgun again. I did the $1200 TRP once - that's it. I'm not traveling down that road again. And, I've gotten the 1911 bug outta my system...

I already spent too damn much for my Five Seven. I don't see myself spending a small fortune on handguns any longer...

You guys knock yourselves out on 1911s, though - enjoy :?

·
Registered
520 Posts
WHOA! CALM DOWN, PARDNER! SHEESH!

:p

just kidding with you, homey. i hear ya on that. i am pretty much done with expensive handguns myself- looking to an XD or the FNP next.

i am also getting tired of too many calibers. aside from the PS90, i think i am going to be sticking to NATO rounds from now on- 5.56, 9mm, 7.62x52, etc. that way a FS2000 would still fit the scheme. :twisted:

getting back on topic, though, i bought my wife a taurus 357 snubnose that she love shooting 38s out of. it ain't a bad range toy. only thing keeping it from being a bad ass little pocket gun is that it's ported.

wouldn't mind one of the SW 625 (?i think?), the .45 revolver.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts