FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after putting about 300 rounds through my ps90 in the last few days, i am really pleased with the factory reflex site. Everyone i read on the net seems to hate it though. i just don't understand why. Put the dot on the target and blam! a hole appears in it.

Maybe because this is the first optical site i've ever had on any of my guns my feelings are biased but it sure beats the hell out of trying to perfectely align iron sights. and it lights up red at night to boot ... woot !!!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Do you have the white ringed factory sight or the black one?

The white one really, really, really, really sucks :wink:

The black one is better. But, I don't know if the black one works better or the same as the white one at night. Even at night, my stock white sight wasn't very usable unless I shined an LED on the light collector.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the white one. I wouldn't want to even try to find a black reticle up here in the dark woods of vermont. In the snow the white sight would probably be pretty useless but in all the green of the forests where i live during the rest of the year the white seems to be very effective.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I got to try 2 PS90s before buying mine - it was the final push to buy one (I wasn't gonna spend all that cash w/o trying it). The first time I shot one, the sun was going down and it was cloudy. It wasn't dark enough for the tritium, and there wasn't enough light to see the sight very well. I wasn't too happy.

The next time was on a sunny day - It was much better, but I still wasn't crazy about it.

When I got mine, I tried using the sight in a dark room. Even then, the tritium just wasn't bright enough to see the bars enough to use suffeciently.

I'm glad you like yours, though. I managed to look thru a black sight one last Sat at a gun show. I was impressed. Although, I still wonder what it will look like at night. But, had I gotten a black sighted one, I probably would have given it a chance before buying the eotech.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
wildcard: If you are happy with the factory white ring sight and it works for what you need it for then great for you. Don't listen to anyone else and don't let them try to spoil your enjoyment of the gun. Again, if its all you need and don't want to spend any more $$$ on a different sight then good for you and enjoy your ps90.

Shipwreck: For some reason the tritium bars seem brighter in the dark(2x brighter) than my white ring sight tritium bars in the dark. Maybe it has a better light collector? I've never taken mine apart so I don't know the internal differences.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
tqtran said:
Shipwreck: For some reason the tritium bars seem brighter in the dark(2x brighter) than my white ring sight tritium bars in the dark. Maybe it has a better light collector? I've never taken mine apart so I don't know the internal differences.
I was wondering if that was the case. It would have been nice to not have to buy a $300 EOtech and the optic rail :p

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had the opportunity/ability to actually inspect several white graticule sights that I had acquired through trading as well as the ones that came with each of my PS90's. Each where the same- it was difficult to see the white graticule in the bright desert sun and it was even more difficult to view the Tritium "T" crosshair. I realize that these sights where designed and work well for use in the same dark/forest overcast environment in Europe as that of Wildcards state of Vermont. Neverless the function of the Tritium source of this sight is to weak for use anywhere you live.

I finally decided to pick up the USSS sight that has the black gracticule. This sight is perfect for use in the southwest or bright areas. At night the tritium "T" crosshair is VERY bright and easily viewable in dim light to full darkness.

I know for sure that the white gracticlue sight has a glass Tritium filled vial; I am not sure how it works with the black "USSS" gracticule sight.

I think if you are not happy with the original sight then by all means look for a better one- if you are satisfied with the orginal then stick with it. I had tried many of the other top brand sights out there to which I only found one other (Trijicon COMPACT ACOG with MSW's Low mount) that I liked equal to the USSS -this, I have mounted on my 2nd PS90.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, it would be nice to have a stock sight that worked well - so one need not turn a sight on before using it - like U do with an Eotech or similar optic. If that black sight didn't cost so much, I might pick one up.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try to get a pic of my sight in the dark for comparison to everyone else's factory tritium. Mine seems to light up really well. The only problem i have is that the glass seems to be tinted and you really can't see much through it in the dark unless the target is backlit. If i had a dominant eye it would be pretty effective shooting with both eyes open at night, using one eye for target aquisition and the other to aim the reticle, but i get a double image of everything due to lack of eye dominance.

Like i said earlier, my satisfaction with the factory sight may be in part due to the fact that i have absolutely ZERO experiance with optics on any of my weapons save for a old '60s vintage weaver 4x i have on my .300 Win Mag bear/moose rifle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine worked fine in high light, low light, but in low light aiming into high light conditions it washed out badly. It also was easy to lose the reticle, it you got bumped, or otherwise had the cheek placement slip.

I still have it, but I switched to an el-cheapo BSA 30mm red dot. Sight acquisition now is fast and easy, and even if you don' have the dot centered in the FOV, it's still on target. Cost me $70 for the rail on eBay, $40 for the sight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
everyone in europe (LE) that i know seems more than happy enough with the factory sights (especially for the price you get them with your gun). i was lucky enough to try one both at day, at twilight and in the dark. they did just perfectly fine and the gun handled like a dream. :)

but then again, we dont have any deserts. ;)

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, i Pulled mine out of the box (I had replaced it with an EOtech last year) - in anticipation of the REM2 release. I played with it a bit the other day.

In my house, looking out the window, I couldn't see the circle or bars or anything. Not enough light inside. I had to turn on my room light and stand under it in order to see the rings.

The black ringed sight would be better probably. But with the LED attachment that will be out soon, I thikk it will make the stock sight much better.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Just don't lose those little fastener nuts Ship because they are almost impossible to get again. :D
I've been looking for a year now for a spare set.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
tqtran said:
Just don't lose those little fastener nuts Ship because they are almost impossible to get again. :D
I've been looking for a year now for a spare set.
Yea, I needa figure out where mine are :oops:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, i Pulled mine out of the box (I had replaced it with an EOtech last year) - in anticipation of the REM2 release. I played with it a bit the other day.

In my house, looking out the window, I couldn't see the circle or bars or anything. Not enough light inside. I had to turn on my room light and stand under it in order to see the rings.

The black ringed sight would be better probably. But with the LED attachment that will be out soon, I thikk it will make the stock sight much better.
i'm really starting to think that the european military/LEO sights arent the same as the american civi sights...

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
No, I just looked. The adjustment pieces are still on the sight. And, I do still have the screws, in my EOtech box. So, I'm good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts