FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Except by search, there is nothing to read about concerning this caliber. I've owned mine for about a year after paying $425 as the pistol was a nightstand gun with less than a box shot through it. It shoot low so I just aim high but really like it anyway. I would like all three calibers but Prices in the $700 + range and higher prevent me from buying any others.

My two 509's, two 1911's and a Sig P220 will have to suffice for now.

Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Except by search, there is nothing to read about concerning this caliber. I've owned mine for about a year after paying $425 as the pistol was a nightstand gun with less than a box shot through it. It shoot low so I just aim high but really like it anyway. I would like all three calibers but Prices in the $700 + range and higher prevent me from buying any others.

Bill
Hi Bill, something to consider is buying conversion barrels for that .40. You can convert to .357 sig with only a barrel change and still use your .40 magazines.
https://efkfiredragon.com/proddetail.php?prod=FNX-S357SBCPS

Or convert to 9mm but you will probably need 9mm magazines also.
https://efkfiredragon.com/proddetail.php?prod=FNX-S9SBCBK
Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
I admit I carried a Glock 23 for nearly 2 decades even owned an FNX-40 (my first FN). Came to the realization as did many LE agencies the .40 S&W offers no advantage over modern 9mm ammo.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I admit I carried a Glock 23 for nearly 2 decades even owned an FNX-40 (my first FN). Came to the realization as did many LE agencies the .40 S&W offers no advantage over modern 9mm ammo.
i have to disagree. The only advantsge 9mm has over .40 is the ability to carry 3-4 more rounds in a magazine. Other than that I think .40 is a better caliber and still CCW one myself.

im not going to get into ballistics and caliber wars though. This is MY opinion based on MY research on what’s best for ME.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not ashamed of the FNX 40-- an excellent option! I've found the FNX-9 slide to operate flawlessly on the 40's frame, with FNS9 mags. And, the EFK .357 Sig barrel is another bonus. I think it's a great nightstand pistol as well, that's where mine spends a lot of time.

I used to think what I read was true, regarding ballistics. Though there are other factors that often aren't specified, such as 'force'. When shooting 9mm and SW40, the 40 has noticeably more force. At the range, 'standing' 2" x 4" base target stands (with metal plates attached) were consistently knocked down when impacted by the 40, but never by the 9mm. Shock, awe, and force add another layer.

The 9mm was good for learning the feel of the pistol, though I'd personally opt for the 40 for SD.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts

Bill
.40 Cal??? I have no idea what the phuq you are talking about... 🙄

.40 FNX.jpg

·
Administrator
12,119 Posts
I am very happy with my H&K 40 cal and the optional 357 Sig barrel. Both are excellent platforms and I actually prefer my .40 cal over my H&K 9mm. However I like to shoot my 9mm suppressed which I can not do with my .40 cal as the 9mm is a tactical and the .40 cal is a compact.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Most of what I have are 40, to include an FNX-40 in the mix. I do also have an FNX-9 slide and barrel, but haven't picked up one of the .357 Sig conversion barrels (yet) like I did my full size M&P.

Aside from somewhat better performance through glass, the big benefit to sticking with 40 while everyone else has gone back to 9 is the sheer amount of duty ammo that I have, plus from a reloading standpoint it uses the same bullet as 10mm (another caliber that I favor). I appreciate the relatively flat ballistic arc as well that both 40 and 10 share, and can consistently make C zone hits out to 60 yards as well. I just wish it were easier to get the FNX-40 milled for a dot. It appears (at least based on their site) that C&H is no longer milling FN slides. I'm not sure if there's anyone else who would or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a few I liked but like 10mm more so sold the 40S&W. I thought about getting some others but passed because ammo was / is so unobtainable.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a G23. I can’t say I love it. I don’t even like shooting it at the range. 😝

But I’ll never sell it. It’s a reliable gun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have to disagree. The only advantsge 9mm has over .40 is the ability to carry 3-4 more rounds in a magazine. Other than that I think .40 is a better caliber and still CCW one myself.

im not going to get into ballistics and caliber wars though. This is MY opinion based on MY research on what’s best for ME.
I like first FN a FNX45 tactical and it's 15 rd magazine of .45 acp.

·
Registered
FN 509M MDR FDE
3 Posts

Bill
Heck, I own three 40 S&W handguns! I have the Glock Gen5 G22, I have a Smith 4.25 40, and a Smith Shield Performance Center 40! Love them all!
However, I must admit I do find my 9mm's to be easier to get back on target. I'm sure it's just lack of practice. I do have a pretty plentiful amount of 40 cal ammo, but it ain't cheap.
My point is, personally I do like 40 caliber semi auto handguns! Not, sure I'll be purchasing anymore though. Three's enough for me. For now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I still own my GEN3 Glock 23, which I purchased in 2001. I also have a G32 factory barrel, which will convert my G23 to .357SIG.

If I could keep only one pistol, it would be my G23.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not ashamed of the FNX 40-- an excellent option! I've found the FNX-9 slide to operate flawlessly on the 40's frame, with FNS9 mags. And, the EFK .357 Sig barrel is another bonus. I think it's a great nightstand pistol as well, that's where mine spends a lot of time.

I used to think what I read was true, regarding ballistics. Though there are other factors that often aren't specified, such as 'force'. When shooting 9mm and SW40, the 40 has noticeably more force. At the range, 'standing' 2" x 4" base target stands (with metal plates attached) were consistently knocked down when impacted by the 40, but never by the 9mm. Shock, awe, and force add another layer.

The 9mm was good for learning the feel of the pistol, though I'd personally opt for the 40 for SD.
I own a fn 40, I carry it I also carry a 509 reg. 509 tach, 509 mid size 509 compact.503,0 fnx 9 c. I change off .Depends on how I want to carry.The only problem is getting ammo for the 40. I train with all of them . Working on a 509 Long slide.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts