FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
America Serves

"When you choose to serve -- whether it's your nation, your community or simply your neighborhood -- you are connected to that fundamental American ideal that we want life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness not just for ourselves, but for all Americans. That's why it's called the American dream."

The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

http://change.gov/americaserves/

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I don't see how they could require 100 hrs of community service for colleges. I wouldn't have time to do that. If I'm not studying, I'm at work or burning a few minutes online. Plus, I'm doing research, so that chews up any available free time I might have. I'm glad I'll be done with school in may.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
He should just bring back the draft so we can take care of Afghanistan once and for all. Instead of 100 hours of community service it would be 545 days of overseas service.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Hmmm... forced to work for the state? De does want to start a revolution doesn't he! I guess that is "change"

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had an argument with a guy on the internet over this. I'd say I feel like the special olympics kid over it but something stronger needs to be defined when going up against an Obamanut.

/my head hurts now

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
acmeraptor said:
I just had an argument with a guy on the internet over this. I'd say I feel like the special olympics kid over it but something stronger needs to be defined when going up against an Obamanut.

/my head hurts now

“Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it”

I think America is about to pay too much for it's whistle.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
In North Carolina they have the 100 hours of community service, Kids in grade 6-12 have to get 100 hours of service in things like working at the public library, soup kitchen, road clean up and other stuff. It's better than having them hang out at the Mall. I think it's a great idea.

As for the draft. Hey, I'm all for the draft. I think it should be automatic when war is declared. If your 18 to 40 years old your name goes into the hat and the only waiver would be a medical waiver by a MILITARY provider. No daddies golfing buddy the doctor waivers.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
i think this is bs i got a 11 year old daughter i dont want her outside unsupervised because of pervs and wackos and now this piece of sh*t elect is trying to put pre-teenaged children in community service areas within reach of predators wtf man

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel I should deflate this a bit. While I agree with devildoc that this is a good idea to get people involved with their communities, my main problem was that I took from the wording that everyone would be made to participate.

After some extra consideration, it might be that each person that chooses to engage in the program would be required to see it through; and probably with some sort of incentive at the end. If someone decided to stop before any obligation was met, then they shouldn't expect a reward. I.E. tax credits or even popsicles.

It's just too early to know what's going to happen for sure. Puh.

/hell, I'm even ok with a draft in wartime (edit) so long as I get a P90

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
no its a good idea for adults or (teenagers with adults) to do community service but this day and age you can not have middle school children out doing work with strange adults around them.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
devildoc said:
As for the draft. Hey, I'm all for the draft. I think it should be automatic when war is declared. If your 18 to 40 years old your name goes into the hat and the only waiver would be a medical waiver by a MILITARY provider. No daddies golfing buddy the doctor waivers.
If there is ever a draft and they announce it, I'm joining on my own free will. At least then I'd be able to choose where I wanted to go. I'd probably end up a career military person then too.

Community service is great and I've done a lot in the past (including helping to build several Habitat for Humanity homes along with other smaller projects like racking leaves for the elderly). I don't think I would be able to get anywhere near 100 hours in a school year. I work and I study. In the summer, I did research at school and worked. Some programs and situations do not allow for much time. I need any free time to wind down and relax. That said, I know a bunch of kids who could do it. They have rich parents or are in debt more than I want to know and are in less demanding programs, so they could easily do it. There is a push (and talk of a possible requirement) for community service. They would like us to do 30 hours of c.s. (about an hour per school week).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts