FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All these Ps90 issues with American Eagle ammo, are they repeatable with the latest ammo/rifles? Anyone tried to collect statistics and other facts about? I am new to this rifle but not to the guns, normally AE is overall very good ammo for any other calibers I know. Is it possible that rifle was not clean or lubed properly while this issues?

Anyway, yesterday I shot 200 rounds of AE 40gr with my brand new PS90, no single issue found...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I've had no problems with it either but evidently, some people have had issues. It would be great if we had lot numbers for the offending ammo and then we might be able to correlate if this is an isolated incident or a more widespread problem.

Reactions: SAVAGEJIM

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I have heard of many probs with A&E the bullet is glued to the case :-D:th_happy-rotfl4: not crimped like other bullets! Its not even super-glue, most probs happ with ps90 since the rounds to need to be pushed upwards some, strange that this stuff doesn't void warranty since its a prob wait to happen.

I would never use the stuff!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The glue issue is what I read in several places in this forum.
But since the Federal American Eagle (AE) 5.7X28mm is not really made by AE, but only rebadged and resold Fiochi ammo, does that mean that all other Fiochi made 5.7x28mm rounds suffer the same glue issue?

Being new to the FN 5.7x28mm scene, I am completely naive to what 5.7x28 ammo is Fiochi made and which ones are not.
Of course, AE is 5.7x28mm is Fiochi.
But is FN SS197SR also rebadged Fiochi?
Which other 5.7x28mm ammo is also Fiochi?

So far, the only 5.7x28 ammo I see on the shelves are Federal AE and FNH (the SS192-198 series).
I don't even know if other ammo makers such as Remington, Winchester, PMC, etc. manufacture 5.7x28mm ammo.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
The glue issue is what I read in several places in this forum.
But since the Federal American Eagle (AE) 5.7X28mm is not really made by AE, but only rebadged and resold Fiochi ammo, does that mean that all other Fiochi made 5.7x28mm rounds suffer the same glue issue?

Being new to the FN 5.7x28mm scene, I am completely naive to what 5.7x28 ammo is Fiochi made and which ones are not.
Of course, AE is 5.7x28mm is Fiochi.
But is FN SS197SR also rebadged Fiochi?
Which other 5.7x28mm ammo is also Fiochi?

So far, the only 5.7x28 ammo I see on the shelves are Federal AE and FNH (the SS192-198 series).
I don't even know if other ammo makers such as Remington, Winchester, PMC, etc. manufacture 5.7x28mm ammo.
The AE is loaded by Fiocchi for AE and re-branded by them.

The SS197 is loaded by Fiocchi for FN.

That's the only two 5.7x28 rounds they load.

And no the SS197, one more time, does not have the same problems as the AE.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The AE is loaded by Fiocchi for AE and re-branded by them.

The SS197 is loaded by Fiocchi for FN.

That's the only two 5.7x28 rounds they load.

And no the SS197, one more time, does not have the same problems as the AE.
What does Fiochi do for FNH's SS197SR that Fiochi does not do for Federal AE's 5.7x28 AE5728A ammo?

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
What does Fiochi do for FNH's SS197SR that Fiochi does not do for Federal AE's 5.7x28 AE5728A ammo?
Looks like they take extra care in making the product. :?

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Crimp bullet in place instead of using glue (Elmer's)!:-D

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Looks like they take extra care in making the product. :?
LOL, thus the $5.00 price increase of Fiochi-FNH SS197 over Fiochi-AE 5.7x28 ammo.
Is it better glue on the SS197SR? or does Fiochi crimp the SS197SR rounds for FNH?

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
LOL, thus the $5.00 price increase of Fiochi-FNH SS197 over Fiochi-AE 5.7x28 ammo.
Is it better glue on the SS197SR? or does Fiochi crimp the SS197SR rounds for FNH?
No glue on ss197 as I had stated 3 posts back!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm kind of curious if the newer batches of AE fire reliably out of a PS90. I had failures as described in post #4, consistently 2-3 rounds per magazine using FN 50 rounders...not a single issue from thousands of rounds of 197/198 with the same gear. Still have ~250 rounds of the stuff left, but can't be assed to deal with the mess of using it.

FWIW, the batch number of my AE 5.7 is 0208369019.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I'm kind of curious if the newer batches of AE fire reliably out of a PS90. I had failures as described in post #4, consistently 2-3 rounds per magazine using FN 50 rounders...not a single issue from thousands of rounds of 197/198 with the same gear. Still have ~250 rounds of the stuff left, but can't be assed to deal with the mess of using it.

FWIW, the batch number of my AE 5.7 is 0208369019.
Ive' shot either 300 or 350 rounds of AE, Lot #0123469109, all were flawless out of FNH mags.
Out of this lot, I had at most 10 FTFs, one of those a stovepipe that ruined the shell and could not be fired, but that was from my ProMag magazine being a piece of crap and nothing to do with the AE rounds.

I've shot maybe 400 more rounds of AE, Lot #0402469117, and no problems at all.

I've shot no less than 500 more AE rounds, I didn't record their lot#s, and those all fired flawlessly too.

I don;t know what to say. AE has been good to me so far, but for many more out there, they are bad.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If it's just the crimp, or lack thereof, I wonder if just throwing it in the reloading press and crimping it would solve all the issues with it? I'm not reloading this stuff yet but buying dies and a shell holder to do this might make sense. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I HAVE had issues with FN SS197LF, I've encountered low power rounds that completely fail to cycle my PS90.

In addition I've been told that Jay of Elite Ammunition has posted a video of him tearing down SS197LF and weighing the powder charges. They vary wildly.

Also there is a thread running over on AR15.com on problems with Fiocchi .300 Blackout ammo with numerous reports of over loaded rounds.

PURE AND SIMPLE, I DON'T TRUST ANY AMMO PRODUCED BY FIOCCHI !!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If it's just the crimp, or lack thereof, I wonder if just throwing it in the reloading press and crimping it would solve all the issues with it? I'm not reloading this stuff yet but buying dies and a shell holder to do this might make sense. Just a thought.
I've thought exactly the same. I have over 1000 spent 5.7 brass saved up with the intention to reload, but I've yet to purchase the dies for them.

I don't see why crimping the fresh Fiochi-AE straight out of the box won't work. Unless the combination of the cheap glue and crimping would somehow cause a squib firing.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I've thought exactly the same. I have over 1000 spent 5.7 brass saved up with the intention to reload, but I've yet to purchase the dies for them.

I don't see why crimping the fresh Fiochi-AE straight out of the box won't work. Unless the combination of the cheap glue and crimping would somehow cause a squib firing.
Can't see getting a squib but I can see getting an over pressure round if the crimps too tight. Think I'll buy a case and give this a shot.....carefully. Anyone know the best dies to get for the 5.7 that allows for this type of precision loading?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Crimp bullet in place instead of using glue (Elmer's)!:-D
No glue on ss197 as I had stated 3 posts back!
I stand corrected about Fiochi crimping anything. Fiochi does not crimp any rounds, either for FN's SS197 SR nor for Federal's AE5728A.
Fiochi GLUES the projectiles in both the SS197 SR and the AE5728A shells.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Can't see getting a squib but I can see getting an over pressure round if the crimps too tight. Think I'll buy a case and give this a shot.....carefully. Anyone know the best dies to get for the 5.7 that allows for this type of precision loading?
From reading the reloading threads of the 5.7x28mm rounds, and also from talking face to face to someone who used to reload 5.7x28 brass, the risk of overpressure is high especially since just as little as a 10th of a grain too much powder could cause an overload. The guy who talked to me about the 5.7 he reloaded no longer does it. He siad it was too much of a pain in the @$$ to do so he sold off all his 5.7 dies.

As for crimping plus glue causing an over pressure, I don't know if that would be the straw that breaks the camel's back, but considering that the 5.7 round is already touchy as far as getting the powder weight right, crimp plus glue might cause a problem if the crimp is done wrong.

I don't know because I haven't attempted to reload my 5.7 brass yet. I still need to get the correct dies and all.

I've reloaded other necked sheels; .30-30, .30-06, .308 Win, and I haven't had problems from the few crimps I did which I thought were questionable.
But according to what was told to me, the 5.7 reloading process is not as forgiving as reloading these other center-fire shells.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts