FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up 2 boxes of American Eagle Toxic-Metal Free from a local Farm & Ranch store. I was able to make it to the range today, and got to shoot the 2 boxes of ammo (kinda). About every other shot was a failure to feed. After about 60 rounds I got frustrated and dug in my range bag and found a box of regular American Eagle and shot 20 rounds with NO problems. I did notice the difference in "kick" with the regular American Eagle almost instantly. When I got home I found the boxes and checked the stats on the Toxic-Metal Free stuff and found the stats were different from the regular American Eagle ammo. After some research online I found the primer is also smaller on the Toxic-Metal Free version.

Has anyone else had this problem with this ammo (American Eagle Toxic-Metal Free) and what could the reason be for the loading failures? Any ideas? In the picture you will notice the Toxic-Metal Free is marked NT for Non Toxic. 20140623_230231.jpg 20140623_224613.jpg

·
Registered
241 Posts
That sucks, I would call the mfgr and report the lot number. They will more than likely take care of you.

But wait a minute... so the primer size isn't even compatible with current brass? Is there some kind of mandate for these new primers that I haven't heard about?

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Small pistol primers might be the only ones that are available that are lead free/non-toxic? Blazer use small pistol primers for their brass, which is a PITA for me as a reloader because I have to separate all of it out.

My guess is that the ammo is just loaded to light. Is it still 230 gr bullets?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
American Eagle is loaded light to begin with. I can assume the cost saving techniques adding small pistol primers may not fully ignite the powder (or lack of it) efficiently

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The NT/lead free primers are often the smaller primer version. Remington/UMC "Leadless" .45 uses large primers, however. I've fired a LOT of it in 9mm and .45 and have had no issues.

Hopefully Federal will take care of you. Document lot number, take pics, detailed reports etc. and let them know.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Small pistol primers might be the only ones that are available that are lead free/non-toxic? Blazer use small pistol primers for their brass, which is a PITA for me as a reloader because I have to separate all of it out.

My guess is that the ammo is just loaded to light. Is it still 230 gr bullets?
Yes they load 45 acp with Small and Large primers now and as djv stated it is a PITA because you have to do even more sorting. And I would imagine it to be just light loaded ammo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The non-toxic is 230 Gr. I will call the manufacture today and see what they can do. Disappointed my FNX .45 didnt eat the ammo up like it does everything else.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with customer support, they are having me send the ammo in for "testing". Really glad I got frustrated with it and stopped shooting it for them to test it out and try it. Sounds like it loaded "light".

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
The non-toxic is 230 Gr. I will call the manufacture today and see what they can do. Disappointed my FNX .45 didnt eat the ammo up like it does everything else.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with customer support, they are having me send the ammo in for "testing". Really glad I got frustrated with it and stopped shooting it for them to test it out and try it. Sounds like it loaded "light".
It's wise to not shoot up ammo if it is the only one causing issues in a gun for this reason. Hopefully they send you a couple boxes of good stuff.

Reactions: NoahSCFN

·
Registered
480 Posts
NoahSCFN, what is the round count in your FNX-45? I am assuming AE45A 230gr FMJ 890 fps/404 ft-lbs M.E. does not have any issues. I would not use Federal Gold Medal GM45B 185gr FMJ-SWC Match 770 fps/244 ft-lbs as this ammo does not have enough energy to reliably operate the pistol due to insufficient energy. The large primers in the 45ACP should give more energy than the small primer 45ACP but MFR(s) can add more powder to compensate for the difference. I am guessing the ammunition is defective (low charge or weak primer charge) as the AE IRT AE45N1 45ACP 230gr TMJ 850fps/369 ft-lbs M.E. should have enough energy to operate a FNX-45 that is past the break-in period, properly lubricated and maintained.

Note: It is possible for the FNX-45 to operate out of the box without issues with AE IRT AE 45N1 ammo that is not defective.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Vulcan71, after my trip to the range Monday I have shot 220 rounds through my FNX .45. You are correct the AE45A runs with no issues, the AE45N1 was hit and miss. I lubricated my FNX Sunday. I talked with a friend that works at a range today and told him my problem, he said that the FNX .45 should have no problems out of the box shooting the ammo. He did tell me there was the off chance I jumped the gun and it was my FNX not meeting the 500rd break in period, and it was simply the slide wasnt going back all the way. He had the idea of picking up a box from the store I got mine after we talked and took it and tried it with the range gun that has 15,000+ rounds through it, he experienced 3 failures of FTF out of the box of 50. He suggested it could be a bad batch. He then asked me if I noticed on my failures if I could feel a difference in how the ammo was shot, I told him the only time I felt a difference was when I shot the 20rds AE45A.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've been stocking up on primers for about a year now. A ban on lead styphnate based primers is a real possibility. The lead free stuff that the EPA wants you to shoot is crap and only gets crappier as they age to their 10yr expiration date. Our current primers can last decades, if not longer.

One saving grace is that DoD did a study a couple years ago that found lead free primers to be significantly inferior in performance to lead primers. Doubtful Lake City is going lead free anytime soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a few days have passed, I feel stupid for buying the ammo. I should have done my research before buying something different. It was 21.99 a box (the cheapest I have found). I only shoot Federal or Magtech, I will continue to shoot Federal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts