FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search but found nothing...

Anyone have any experience shooting bowling pin matches with a PS90?

What ammo do you recommend? Currently, all I have is SS197, and I'm wondering if they might go clean through the pins without toppling them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a few pins. They LOVE to fall over. Either the SS195 & SS197 are knocking them over, or the loud BANG scares them and they drop to the ground. In that respect, they act the same as people would. Maybe I should name them. :p

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got to the bowling pin match with my PS90. The setup was 6 pins sitting on a metal table, with the pins placed about 6 to 8 inches away from the back edge of the table, and about a foot apart from each other. Distance to the front of the table from the firing line was 7 yards.

They made us load our initial magazine with only 6 rounds. Spare mags could be loaded with however many rounds you desired. The 6 round max on the first mag was done for all classes of firearm (pistol, rifle and shotgun). They mentioned that they wanted the auto-pistol guys to have the same amount of bullets in the gun at start up as the revolver guys. So, the idea was to make the first 6 rounds count and not have to waste a lot of time with a reload. Miss just one pin and you'd need to reload to finish the round. Pins had to clear the table, and land on the ground.

I've only got about 200 to 300 rounds through the gun, and this was the first time I was shooting for speed.

Shooting with SS197, and a USSS sight zeroed for 50 yards, I figured I'd have to hold about 3 to 4 inches high (as per the ballistic tables), to hit the widest part of the pins. I did that for the first 2 strings, with abysmal times (I was rushing and pulling before acquiring a picture). I found on my later strings that sighting on the widest part of the pin threw them back straight with no tendency to flip and drop where they stood. I only noticed one or two pins go off the table, bottom end first. So, sighting on center mass seems to work at that distance. The SS197 drove them back between one and two feet (at least that's what it looked like from my vantage point). I almost wished that the table was wider just so I could gauge how far back the pins were getting driven before gravity took hold.

Turns out I came in second place in the rifle division. My best 3 times were 3.58, 4.09, and 4.99 seconds for 6 pins with no reloads. I also had a 3.85 but that didn't count, as one pin didn't leave the table, and at that point I knew that reloading and trying to remove it was an exercise in futility, time-wise and ammo-wise.

I was beaten by one of the local SRT Team members with his HK UMP40, who turned in a 3.00 time.

Of all the people there, I only had one slightly negative comment about the gun, and that was solely about the relatively high cost of ammo. I expected to get some good natured grief from the AR and AK guys, but if they did intend to give me any, I assume that my times kept them quiet. I did get some positive comments from the ICE FPS guys who used to use the P90s, but went over to M4s.

It was a fun day for all, and I discovered that the PS90 w/SS197 will move the pins back and off a table, contrary to what I'd read on another forum and in a magazine article.

·
Registered
192 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I personally only shoot factory ammo - or you can void the warranty.
Kinda sucks that FN has that sort of warranty. If they opened it up, other manufacturers could start making 5.7 ammo, widening the market, causing ammo prices to drop, thereby generating more interest in the PS90 and FiveseveN.

After all, one of the biggest draws by far for the AR-15-type platform is the ready availability of cheap ammo of all grades. And anyone who has had to choose between the FS2000 and the PS90 has included the 5.56's availability in their decision process.

Considering that the 5.7 round has much less brass than the 5.56, it should be cheaper, but it's roughly equivalent in price to comparable-quality 5.56. I think this would change if more manufacturers could freely make 5.7 ammo according to a standard load that FN would approve as being warranteed in the PS90.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
dchang0 said:
Kinda sucks that FN has that sort of warranty. If they opened it up, other manufacturers could start making 5.7 ammo, widening the market, causing ammo prices to drop, thereby generating more interest in the PS90 and FiveseveN.
I don't know that this is what is stopping other companies from making the ammo.

EVERY gun company actually has this in their warranty... SHoot reloads, void the warranty. That is nothing new.

Another ammo company that makes NEW rounds for this caliber would not violate this issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts