FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and wanted to get some good info on ammo for my 17s in FDE. I was a little confused when I bought the gun as I know it is chambered in 7.62x 51mm but when I ordered it all of the websites said it was chambered in .308? My confusion is that I've been told by FNH directly themselves the following comment when I emailed them last week and this is what they said about this very same question " Thank you for supporting FN products.
Please note that the barrel and the action of the rifle have been made with substantial safety margins over the pressures developed by established American commercial loads, and for this reason we can only recommend using the type of ammunition inscribed on the barrel of each specific firearm."
I understand this to mean that I can shoot both .308 and 7.62 x 51mm ammo but I should only really shoot the 7.62 ammo in? So why do most firearms sellers classifying this to be .308 caliber when it really isnt? I know that the pressures are different and the size of the cartridge is also slightly different. Can someone please help me out with this? I want to make sure i'm shooting the correct ammo in this rifle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Most sellers say the SCAR 17 is .308 because that is the most common commercial cartridge for the rifle. However, the 17 is chambered in the NATO caliber of 7.62 x 51. You can shoot .308 in the SCAR without worry. FN has to give you the legal answer and tell you to only use the caliber stamped on the rifle. But you can use either .308 or 7.62 x 51.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I generally use M80 ball (cbc, Magtech), ppu (non Match), Zqi (whenever I can find it), sometime PMC if its on sale. Basically whatever is cheap and not steel.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you want to get the best accuracy out of your SCAR 17S I would get FGMM or Black Hills 308 match ammo in either 168 or 175 grain ammo. Mine like 168 better than 175. Surplus ammo will not perform anywhere near as well a good match ammo.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Surplus ammo does exactly what I need it to do at the distances at my local ranges. Seems a waste to use FGGM to light up steel @ 200yds as I suspect they make about the same noise =)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes really. I've shot Lake City, Portuguese and South African in mine and best 100 yard 5 shot groups were in the 2"-3" range. My buddies 17S got about he same results shooting Lake City. With FGMM and/or my hand loads (168 SMK's with 41,7 grains of 4064) my SCAR17S regularly shoots 1 moa sometimes better. I've seen many posts that reflect the same results.
I agree with the OP if he is banging steel @ 200 yards good surplus is all he needs.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Most sellers say the SCAR 17 is .308 because that is the most common commercial cartridge for the rifle. However, the 17 is chambered in the NATO caliber of 7.62 x 51. You can shoot .308 in the SCAR without worry. FN has to give you the legal answer and tell you to only use the caliber stamped on the rifle. But you can use either .308 or 7.62 x 51.
Where does FN say only use 7.62? My FN manual that came with it says it's the same thing.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Where does FN say only use 7.62? My FN manual that came with it says it's the same thing.
It's when you call and pester them, they give you the lawyer response. It's like the idiots writing to the ATF on clarification of use of the SIG brace. They can't be bothered to read the manual, cause reading is for *******, but they'll take the time to call the manufacturer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was speaking of when you call FN and speak with someone. They will tell you the rifle was designed for 7.62 x 51 and that is what is stamped on the rifle and that is the ammo that should be used. Yes the manual does state .308 in parenthesis under the ammo section of the manual. But FN reps will still tell you that you should use 7.62 ammunition.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That's funny....pretty sure what they put in print would hold more water than what someone says over the phone. Not that I care or it matters...just kind of weird they would say that but print something else.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's funny....pretty sure what they put in print would hold more water than what someone says over the phone. Not that I care or it matters...just kind of weird they would say that but print something else.
I agree with you. But the reality is that .308 is a hotter load than 7.62 x 51 NATO. This horse has been beat to death over the internet about .308 vs 7.62x51. They are not the same round and .308 has higher pressures associated with it. The SCAR 17 can handle .308 no problem. My guess is that FN representatives are instructed to advise people to use 7.62x51 ammunition.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I agree with you. But the reality is that .308 is a hotter load than 7.62 x 51 NATO. This horse has been beat to death over the internet about .308 vs 7.62x51. They are not the same round and .308 has higher pressures associated with it. The SCAR 17 can handle .308 no problem. My guess is that FN representatives are instructed to advise people to use 7.62x51 ammunition.
Not necessarily. .308 has a wide range of loads while 7.62 NATO has but one load. 7.62X51 can also has different loads too because they aren't necessarily load to NATO specs either.

Unless either calibers are overloaded the SCAR will shoot them just fine.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts