FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time shotgun owner experience

I just purchased a SLP from Tanners, and was getting ammo for it. I asked the store clerk what type of to help me find some slugs and buckshot, of corse he asked what it was for and told me that I could not use either due to the screw in choke system. He told me flat out to buy a differend gun! And that I could only use bird shot in it. So I basically left and am not going back there... Seems strange that this is a Bird gun dont ya think...

:cry:

Anyway, The gun came w/ improved and modified chokes. Is it ok to shoot rifled slugs and buckshot out of the gun...

And could you guy's tell me what brand and types of slugs to stick with. I think I got the buckshot covered. Well as long as its ok too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
ammo use

you can use most any buckshot in the more open chokes. You dont specify what improved it is, IM , Imp cyl ? chokes vary as to whether the diameter is spec'd for steel or lead. Slugs can be tuned with a choke selection, start loose and get incrementaly tighter till you find the magic choke/ammo combo that suits you.. same with the buck loads.. Ive seen lots of chokes go down range, but they were all retro- fitted in guns that had thinner marginal barrel thickness.
you will run out of $ before you ruin a good factory installation,as long as they're kept tight. use choke lube too. I think a lead rated modified would be the high end of tight, deformed pellets dont pattern well..

hope this helps
an ole BEAR OHS 64

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the gun came with an improved cylinder, and modified spec'd for lead. So if I am understanding you correctly, I should use the imp. cyl for both to start out with. Should i order the Cylinder bore choke just to be safe?

Just to clarify, I was not at Tanners, as they are the best I have ever shopped with, but they are all the way across the county. I was at Sportsmans Warehouse, where they think they know everything. The only bad thing is I know nothing about shotguns, and they seem to be very versital and can be used in various roles... So I am trying to learn fast and not bother you guys w/ stupid questions...

·
Registered
137 Posts
chokes

OK,now we know what you've got. the imp cyl is .010 smaller than bore dia, the Mod is .020 , full would be in the .030 to .035 range. no need for the true cyl choke in this context. the full is good for most field use or using small shot indoors to limit the over penetration that a slug or large buck n ball exhibit. the tighter the constriction the more deformation of the larger shot sizes and possibly erratic patterns. Thats where the fun comes in.... doing the testing.
If you want to really learn shotgun try out the skeet range at Mima Prairie, 8s or 9s in the war gun, imp cyl, and you will have a ball, I shoot a 97 Win riot and it really tweeks the purests when you match or beat em.. trap with a full choke is not out of the question either, they both teach you the basics of mount and presentation(aim)..
Anyone tells you that shotguns dont need to be aimed with the same focus that a pistol or rifle require is full O crap. Ive worked with some of the best in the world and they all teach a tecnique that stress awareness, a good mount and cheek weld and point(aim).
the cost of social loads vs promo trap is significant, more practice less money. I use one gal milk jugs , empty on a string, to train students, lots easier than setting the steel, and quite resilient. Hits are easy to see, and no splash back form the closer ranges.
OK more than you asked for, take it for what its worth.

OHS 64

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the guy at the store was full of crap, and I am perfectly ok to shoot most anything I would want to.

I might have to try out some local skeet ranges, sounds like alot of fun.

Thanks for all the info guys. It helped lots. :shock:

·
Registered
87 Posts
FYI - If you decide to shoot clays stay away from the cheap birdshot (Remington value packs etc). My SLP hates them and won't cycle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
jnewell said:
stevemr2t said:
FYI - If you decide to shoot clays stay away from the cheap birdshot (Remington value packs etc). My SLP hates them and won't cycle.
After a hundred rounds or two mine eats even that stuff happily with the light piston.
Mine still hates them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
stevemr2t said:
jnewell said:
stevemr2t said:
After a hundred rounds or two mine eats even that stuff happily with the light piston.
Mine still hates them.
I'm sure the answer is yes, but you've put at least 300 rounds through the gun? Mine needed a little break-in, like a Kahr MK9 I once owned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts