FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently at an excellent indoor range yesterday with my FNS9 and a friends XD9 both shooting the same ammo (new in box fmj 115grain winchester), my FNS was consistently low and scattered, but the XD9 was dead on. Both pistols were fired at 7yds and with the same combat sight hold (12 o'clock ). Could it be the ammo, me or my FNS? I believe it's the ammo but didn't have another brand with me. Federal usually shoots fine for 12 o'clock hold as does winchester white box. Any input/constructive criticism welcome.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not had this problem until yesterday, I'm not going to dismiss shooter issues, but shot the center from the silhouette with the xd but couldn't do the same with fns, the 1911 I had with me was dead center too. I'm no target competitor by any means (I suck frankly) just find it had to believe I usually shoot the fns better than yesterday's performance .

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Did you shoot the FNS first? Sometimes switching between guns will throw me off a little since they shoot differently. The ammo certainly could be the issue. If I ever suspect the ammo, I'll rest it and shoot a 10 round group from a supported rest or off the table and see if it might just be me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shot the fns last, 1911 first and xd second. Switching between guns usually doesn't bother me too much after a few rounds. I believe it's the ammo, I'm going to try it in my father in law's fns 9 and see how it shoots (has +/- 500 rounds less through the pipe). Will also the ammo through a s&w 6906. Thanks for all the advice y'all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Funny thing happened to me. I've shooting much more these days and was at a range with by brother. I was shooting pretty well with my fnx 45 tactical and had loaned my Glock 23 to my brother. For fun we ran the targets back to 75ft and shot 10 rounds each with my Browning Buckmark w/ red dot, then back to 25ft and 10 shots each with my Glock 23 w/Wilson night sights, lastly 10 shots each with the FNX 45. We both shot well (for us) with the Browning and the Glock and both of us shot worse with FNX? We were too low on ammo to follow up on what caused it. We have been busy league shooting, but will do some more comparisons when we get some more range time. The FNX has been shooting well in league.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It bears in mind that the FNS/FNX has a different POI than most handguns (a "zero" point-of-impact) which means if you can completely see what you're shooting at, you aren't hitting what you're shooting at..i.e. if you're shooting for bullseye and you can see said bullseye above your front sight, you aren't going to hit it. Occlude the target with the front sight and make sure all three dots in your sight line up completely on a horizontal plane (a lot of shooters will let the front sight dip too deeply into or ride to high in the well on the rear sight of the FN handguns without realizing it.)

I myself am bad about doing this if I fire other firearms with different POIs then switch to/switch back to my FNS...and I'll continue to do it until i consciously realize I'm doing it and correct it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was shooting with bull covered with front sight dot on all 3 firearms at 7 yards, going to range with my personal fns and my father in laws fns and 3 different brands of ammo and see how I shoot.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have an FNS 9 as well and with the factory sights the point of impact differs from the point of aim by approximately two inches (low) at seven yards.

I've been shooting winchester white box and magtech 115gr FMJ loads. Just bought some 124gr FMJ ammo will try that next.

FNH pistols use the European "combat hold" sight picture.

You cover what you want to hit with the front dot, just as you found out

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was shooting combat hold on all 3 firearms, easily 1" groups with the first two guns. 9mm xd and .45acp 1911; didn't use the same ammo in the 1911 those were hand loads. Trying again Saturday will fill in if it's just me who can't handle the FN awesomeness.
LCPL USMC

·
Registered
3 Posts
The fns 40 (1st gun ever) I purchased lost the insert for night sight with the very first shot,was warrantied a front sight which was bent in the repair process by the people I bought from. FNH gave me another took it to a better gunsmith who installed correctly and sighted. A neighbor helped me tweek the sights with a punch. my shots are on target when i am.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was the ammo, I shot Winchester white box for ccw qual and without really aiming well (32* out and my fingers were numb) and shot 30 rounds at 5,7 & 10 yards and kept all shots in the 9 ring with 4 hits in the 8 ring on a silhouette target.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts