FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new here.

I saw a YouTube video of a Japanese? guy shooting an FS2000 at a range. I noticed he was using Wolf polymer coated ammo. The ammo in the vid appeared to be functioning with no problems. I've heard of all the horror stories with Wolf, but it got me wondering if it's OK in the FS2000?
I also saw at the end, that it appeared to group better than some Lake City he was using??

·
Registered
57 Posts
I remember speaking to Bob A. of FN. He advised against using wolf. He pointed out that some Eastern block ammo runs a few thousanths of an inch oversize and this might stretch out the bore and hurt your accuracy. He relayed how he had a Colt AR-15 in 7.62x39 and fired some Wolf out of it and afterwards his groups were like twice as big.

Also, there is the factor of the steel case being harder on the extractor. I am not sure if FNHUSA stocks spare extractors yet, but that is something to consider.

Bottom line, it is your gun, you pay your money and take your chances. After spending $2k on the FS2000, I would just as soon shoot half as much ammo through the gun even if the ammo is more expensive rather than fire cheaper ammo that would risk damaging my gun.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Yes, all of that sounds like something to keep in mind - Wolf ammo is crap - get something better for a $2k gun. :grin:

·
Registered
57 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Yes, all of that sounds like something to keep in mind - Wolf ammo is crap - get something better for a $2k gun. :grin:
I have been saying that for a while and people have been poo-pooing me. It is especially harder these days with ammo prices gone so high and 5.56mm much harder to find.

Screw the stock market. If I had just put all of my money into 5.56mm ammo a year ago . . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. , think I'll steer clear of wolf. I'ld prefer some actual 5.56 if I can find any.

Again, thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Running Wolf though an FS2000 would be like running 50/50 lawn mower gas though your Ferrari.

I'm sure it will feed it, but I wouldn't trust a 2000.00 rifle to the loading skills of the Wolf guys.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not to get off track...but I just picked up 1k rounds of green tip SS109. I have had a few deformed, stuck cases. I usually shoot American Eagle and this is the first SS109 I have bought. It runs like a champ through all of my ARs. Anyone having any problems with the SS109?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've shot <500 rounds of Olin M855 (SS109) in 2 different FS2Ks (one with mil FP and one with civi FP) and have had no problems. I need to get more, different M855/SS109 through them to gain full confidence.
The loose-pack stuff at the gun shows is a good bargain, but as I load it onto striper-clips I discard any cartridges with dented-case.

Jim

·
Registered
163 Posts
FS2K ammo

cathores,

I've fired 500 rnds of Brown Bear ammo(another steel case type comparable to wolf) out of my FS2k with no problems. Ive also fired several hundred rounds of winchester FMJ, hornady TAP(55 grn polymer tip), and american eagle FMJ, and noticed little or no difference in accuracy or reliability.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
nighthawk1 said:
I've never had to change the gas setting to get wolf to work, honestly.
Yeah, that is what I hear from most of other thread about FS2000 +ammo talk. Maybe because i haven't broken in the rifle yet. :D

·
Banned
114 Posts
The first day i went out shooting with my fs2000 my cousin was shooting his bushmaster ar using wolf ammo. To make the story short (about as short as his time on the range) his rifle jammed up and mine didnt. I only shoot black hills 77gr sierra mk bt hp moly coated rounds feed via hk high reliability mags. Everyone else is right in here, just because you can shoot cheap ammo doesn't mean you should. I'm not saying you have to shoot what i am running through my rig but do yourself a favor and don't just go looking for the cheapest round to fire. Something also to remember is that the barrel is 1x7 so look at grain weights.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
moonglorious61 said:
The first day i went out shooting with my fs2000 my cousin was shooting his bushmaster ar using wolf ammo. To make the story short (about as short as his time on the range) his rifle jammed up and mine didnt. I only shoot black hills 77gr sierra mk bt hp moly coated rounds feed via hk high reliability mags. Everyone else is right in here, just because you can shoot cheap ammo doesn't mean you should. I'm not saying you have to shoot what i am running through my rig but do yourself a favor and don't just go looking for the cheapest round to fire. Something also to remember is that the barrel is 1x7 so look at grain weights.
Glad to hear it :shock:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts