FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking on some info on the shelf life of either the SS195 or SS197. It seems some think the lead free nature of the SS195 primers will make them less reliable after a couple of years. Is there any truth to this?

I would like to stock on some 5.7 ammo this year and lean towards the SS195 but I have concerns now if it will be "good" ammo in 5-10 years much less longer down the line. Should I go with the SS197 instead for longer shelf life?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thats what I read somewhere, too. The 197 will last for ever, but the 195 is like 10 years. Granted storage conditions must be factored into that. Anyway thats what I remember reading from FNH somewhere, I could be wrong about the 195, but the 197 for sure. Thats kept me from wanting to stock up on 195.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Yea, there was a thread about this a while ago...I'm trying to find it...

·
Vendor
5,649 Posts
Found it. It is the first question here.

http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=4813

1. What is FN's office stance on the shelf life of SS195LF if properly stored? Some reports indicate 2-10 years, due to the lead free primer. What does FN officially say? There should be no shelf life issues because of the lead free primer.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I do not reload, but after hearing tons of reports from reloaders about the longevity of rounds with lead free primers - I still wonder about how long the 195 round can be store.

Overall, I prefer 197 anyway, and I have 95% of my stash in the 197 round anyway.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I got 14k's worth :?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
HAHAHA!! Yea.... hoping to get 20k bf Obamanation gets to screwing this country up :?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Rule of thumb for now...It will last until Obamantaion takes it away :cry: :cry:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts