FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search, not to many threads on ammo selection. I bought 500 rounds of Federal 149 GrainBulk ammo for paper. Want to sight my scope in with something I will use to kill hogs plus match the ballistics somewhat of the Federal (which I won't use for hunting). Was thinking maybe Hornady Superformance 150 Grain. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have been using a lot of mil surplus ammo as of late with very good results. I have been using some German mil surplus with shell markings of HP. I have also been using some British mil surplus with shell markings ofRG and the NATO symbol. Good luck with whatever ammo you use, but let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you will find that it will be easier to rezero your scope for your hunting and target rounds than it will be to find a hunting round that matches the ballistics of your target round.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I think you will find that it will be easier to rezero your scope for your hunting and target rounds than it will be to find a hunting round that matches the ballistics of your target round.
I've got to agree with this. Sometimes it works, some times it doesn't. I've got my PTR loaded up with some 150gr SPs that seem to hit the same as NATO ball, but most 150gr Ballistic Tips don't seem to be anywhere near ball rounds.

·
Registered
605 Posts
No comment on the above opinions, however...

For ballistic characteristics reference consistent "accuracy", BARNES VOR-TX 150gr Tipped TSX BT is probably "the deadliest, most accurate" Hunting round anywhere to be found. Costly, yes, extremely so, but hey, you ain't gonna use up 20 rounds to blow away a nasty Hog...right? Depth of penetraion and degree of expansion is nothing short of WOW!

Next in line, but most often overlooked for hunting, and might I add, self defense, possessing a high degree of consistency relative to "long range accuracy" stopping power & expansion is (drum roll):

ZOMBIE MAX 168 gr Z-Max (in case you run into a few Zombie Hogs).

My 2 Cents..

vfin

·
Registered
321 Posts
Careful on the Hornady Superformance ammo in gas guns, especially those that don't have a fairly granular gas adjustment system. The pressure curve is different (sustained for a longer period of time) and it may cause some issues. This could be anything from reliability issues to my favorite line from Hornady, "the gun is still in the process or firing while it’s trying to extract the cartridge case."

Superformance in Gas Operated Firearms - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

I believe that Superformance uses an SST slug. Not sure if you would consider using amax on hogs, but the 168 amax shoots little ragged groups out of every scar 17 I have used or seen it used in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Interesting, has anyone tried the Superperformance. I'm not going to chance it. I'll look for some other kind of match grade 150 grain for hunting. Suggestions. ?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Hornady Z-Max 168gr .308 is the same as their A-Max. Decent for hunting, but in my experience it can tear up the meat pretty bad if the shot isn't a good one. Also, for the OP's original request, the POI is very much off from NATO Ball's POI. Certainly worth a look at though.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Everybody seems to be leading you in the right direction here but I'll share my results. I dialed in some Freedom muntitions 155gr bthp for my main round for pigs/deer/varmints and long range practice but I wanted to test a better performing game round for a possible Mule deer or Trophy whitetail. Results were pleasing.

Freedom munitions 155gr bthp (factory reloads) zeroed 1" high

165gr Remington Accu-tip

Only 1.1" right and perfect elevation for TMR reticle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
+1

It is also good to re-zero at location as elevation and temperature can make a difference.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The question is what kind of hog hunting are you doing? Going for a trophy hog or "clearing the vermin"? Trophy hunting should have you looking at some pretty expensive stuff such as partition bullets. Field clearing is maybe better doing "standard hunting loads" like you find at Wally's World. Helping a landowner remove pests is maybe not worth $2-$5 a shot.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What type of shooting are you doing with your blaster ammo? If you are shooting at 10" targets or bigger then Hornady TAP 155 AMAX will be relatively close. The TAP will provide ideal terminal ballistics for hunting and your blaster will only be about 1-2 MOA off. Zero for the 155 TAP and blast away.... if you are trying to target shoot with FMJ....you will probably find it is only good to 1-2 MOA anyway....so it will all work itself out and you can keep your 155 TAP ammo and zero.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts