FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never been big into the whole this vs that in ammunitions. So I’ve never explored the choices of all the brands. I usually use the regular military issue FMJ stuff. But everyone chooses HP for their personal protection. So I have to ask, is it worth the extra $? All if my guns reliability feed FMJ rounds but the few hollow points I have shot don’t seem to impress me much in the reliability test. My Colt hates HP rounds. Are they really that much better at their job? If so why can’t the military use them? I’m a blank slate, fill me with your knowledge!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
You'll get differing opinions with this question.

Here's some stuff to read through. Of course there are thousands more pages to be read also.

http://www.thegunzone.com/hague.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_point

All I can offer is my personal opinion. I practice with fmj because it's cheaper. I use hp for defense. I have been lucky I guess, I have never owned a gun that would not reliably feed both fmj and hp.

I use hp for defense because I want the round to drop all it's energy into my target. I do not want to shoot through my target and possibly hurt anyone else. I think I have a better chance of stopping an attack with a hp than with a fmj.

That's why I don't get into the conversations about penatration and ss190/ss195 ammo. I doubt very seriously I'll ever have to shoot someone, and if I do, I doubt they will have armour. Am I positive of this? No. Are peoples faces armoured? No.

Looking at ballistic gel test pictures on the internet and reading atricles on wound cavities, with and without denim on the target, and also reading reports on real life shootings... I am very confident a 9mm, .40sw, 45acp hollow point will do what I need with the least risk of over penetration.

Are hollow points worth the money? To me they are, and I shoot mostly with fmj anyway. Do they do the job better? From what I have read, I think so. A bigger wound cavity, more energy absorbed by the target, less chance of hitting unintended objects, and just as good accuarcy.

TA

·
Registered
426 Posts
The intended purpose of a hollow-point is to inflict maximum damage to human tissue, and it works well for that intended purpose. A Hollow-point will inflict more damage on organic tissue than a FMJ round but it will not meet the range/velocity or penetration of FMJ ammo.
Some guns are particular as to what brands or types of Hollow-point ammunition work well with them. One needs to function test hollow-point ammuntion(s) for reliability in their gun of choice until comfortable with performance.
The use of hollow-point ammunition by military forces against personnel is prohibted by the Geneva Convention. The US Military does not officially use hollow-point ammuntion, except for "marksmanship and training purposes", or so they say.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
You may wish to read the first link in my above post.
:wink:

TA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts