FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Vendor
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ShootingSight is pleased to announce the introduction of an Enhanced Striker for the 509 / FNS series of pistols. This striker is machined from solid 17/4PH bar, so any concerns with reliability of MIM can be eliminated.

Further, I have improved on the original design to give:
1. A smoother pull,
2. A sharper break,
3. Less creep in the 2nd stage, and
4. About a 1lb reduction in pull force.

All of this without disassembly of the lower, and without polishing or making any other irreversible changes to your pistol. Just swapping out this striker and adding some of the included grease to two locations in the trigger linkage is like a trigger job in a box.

The benefits are the result of design improvements, as well as adding low friction coatings and a teflon insert to smooth the travel of the striker in the slide. Benefits #2 to #4 are documented in the attached pull test chart.

The strikers are $89.95, with free shipping in the USA, and are available at shootingsight.com

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Triangle

Auto part Cylinder Metal Font Wood

Vendor
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the big improvements is seen in the picture above: just in front of the 'tail' is a Teflon ring I added. Normally, when the sear pushes on the tail of the striker, since the pressure point is below the center of the striker, the top/rear edge of the striker is pressed up, against the slide. The slightest imperfection in the metal finish in the slide (ie tool marks from the drill) will cause a 'gritty' feel to the trigger travel. Glock solved this problem by adding the plastic cap over the end of the striker, so did the M&P from Smith. However the FN design leaves metal on metal. So the addition of this Teflon ring creates a bearing surface which leaves a buttery smooth feeling as you pull the trigger.

Premium Member
Ordered one early this morning can鈥檛 wait to try it out!! 馃憤
Did the same. My full size FNS is still sporting the OEM striker, looking forward to changing that.

Registered
Great idea & filling a great spot in the market.

The talk of the teflon ring made me think of two things:
-Can we buy replacement teflon rings with the striker? Seems like it could be a wear point and I like to be proactive with spares
-Does the striker happen to affect FTF performance after the pistol is submerged?

Vendor
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had not thought about wear of the teflon rings, as it is a pretty good size bearing surface, but if you send me an email with the order, I can include a spare. I have never heard of the FTF issue, or submerged any of my pistols, so I have nothing to add on this, other than that the teflon ring is at the rear of the striker. The slot that the 'tail' travels in continues quite a ways forward of the ring. So on the assumption that any FTF is caused by water being unable to drain out, I'd predict that the ring will not impede water drainage, so would not affect performance following submersion.

Registered
I wasn't planning to do any upgrades with my 509c, but I'll have to rethink that now, especially now that I have room to work on my stuff.

Registered
Wow, I just saw this thread. I will probably be ordering one. I definitely would like to hear some feedback from other members. I know i will definitely be buying one.
I decided to order one, but when I went to check out I could only use PayPal, I wasn鈥檛 able to use my CC. Was I missing something.TIA

Vendor
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Try this: hover your mouse over the photo I posted of the striker. A little flag appears next to my cursor which says:
"Auto part cylinder metal font wood". Do you get that too?

I didn't do that! Someone, somehow, has analyzed the picture and seen a cylinder, metal colors and wood texture. Might have decided it is likely a car part, and flagged the picture. So pictures are being analyzed and categorized for a database somewhere. Kind of slimy, like a stalker.

Premium Member
"Auto part cylinder metal font wood". Do you get that too?
Most of the pictures that get posted on the forum are getting tagged. I posted a picture of my dog and rabbit in the freestyle area and the tag was: "Vertebrate Wood Working animal Mammal Fawn"
Sounds like drunk AI gibberish.

Premium Member
Most of the pictures that get posted on the forum are getting tagged. I posted a picture of my dog and rabbit in the freestyle area and the tag was: "Vertebrate Wood Working animal Mammal Fawn"
Sounds like drunk AI gibberish.
There were some wood working vertebrates working on a new house a block away. I think I saw them fawning some mammalia 'round lunch time. I still identify as a vertebrate, a rare commodity in a world seemingly run by invertebrates. Maybe we should start a club...

Premium Member
Got the SS striker installed in my old stock FNS 9 this morning. Definitely feels an improvement over the balsa wood striker FN put in there when I sent it back for the service bulletin. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but it noticeably crisper. Looking forward to range time.

Registered
ShootingSight is pleased to announce the introduction of an Enhanced Striker for the 509 / FNS series of pistols. This striker is machined from solid 17/4PH bar, so any concerns with reliability of MIM can be eliminated.

Further, I have improved on the original design to give:
1. A smoother pull,
2. A sharper break,
3. Less creep in the 2nd stage, and
4. About a 1lb reduction in pull force.

All of this without disassembly of the lower, and without polishing or making any other irreversible changes to your pistol. Just swapping out this striker and adding some of the included grease to two locations in the trigger linkage is like a trigger job in a box.

The benefits are the result of design improvements, as well as adding low friction coatings and a teflon insert to smooth the travel of the striker in the slide. Benefits #2 to #4 are documented in the attached pull test chart.

The strikers are $89.95, with free shipping in the USA, and are available at shootingsight.com

View attachment 149799

View attachment 149801
Very nice. So I replaced the striker in my 2012 FNS9 with the Apex version, as my weapon was part of the FNS recall. Any idea how your striker compares with Apex鈥檚 part? Thanks!

Vendor
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have only dry fired the Apex striker, but if you look at the chart I posted in the opening post, you'll see that I plotted both the factory and the Apex striker. Sharpness of break, Creep, and pull force are all lower for my striker than the Apex.

So far, I had several people identify a manufacturing defect, where a tool slipped, so an internal hole was a little too shallow on some of the parts. That has now been corrected with 100% inspection of remaining parts, and having replaced a handful for consumers who experienced issues. Other than that, I've had nothing but good feedback. Crisper, smoother, lighter are all comments people have made.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts