FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my first ( got two of them) FNP-9 housing cracked this week...around 400 rounds. Looks like all the others...right hand side. towards the rear.

what does FN USA cover in terms of shipping back, turnaround, replacement of housing or entire FC unit etc ?

thanks

bob

·
Registered
229 Posts
Call Bob Ailes, FN Customer Support Mgr., 703-288-1292 ext, 122. They had UPS pick my FNP9 up and had it back in 23 days. New housing a little bit different than original.

·
Registered
412 Posts
forestranger that is interesting when I tried to have My FNP 9 shipped back with my broken FNP 40 Bob Ailes said the problems were with the FNP 40 only! I posted this in anoter thread. Now more 9's are showing up with the same problem. You have to wonder what gives?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It's obvious that the same problem can occur with both calibers, as the design is identical. They are probably seeing it happen with much more frequency to the 40's due to the higher stress caused by the heavier recoil. Either way, it's nice to know that the fire control group has been changed slightly on forestrangers weapon to compensate for the weakness in that polymer wall.

·
Registered
412 Posts
We all know there is a problem but my main point is that FN had an oppurtunity to take the FNP 9 and put a new fire control housing in it since the FNP 40 was being sent back and refused. It has to be busted first! If you know there is a problem fix it so it won't break later. That is all I'm sayin. They are rollin the dice that it won't break but they got their fingers crossed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's true the new hammer housing on my FNP9(misplaced shell casing but bought it Aug. '07) doesn't have that little notch on inside of housing where it broke but my FNP9M(1-31-06) has the "notched" version and no problems so far. Will keep an eye on both of them but still don't know if problem is design, quality of material or both. Will keep u posted on how they both do.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Can someone take a pic of BOTH versions - a closeup? And, start a new thread? I'll sticky it.

(Try to take a similarly angled pic of both)

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That someone will have to be forestranger since he's the only one we know of so far with both. I guess I could take a picture of my current FCG and then if it breaks and I get it repaired I could take a picture of the replacement, But I'm hoping I won't have that happen. :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
You know, I must admit I'm starting to worry a bit about this problem.

It just seems so random. Serial number ranges don't seem to be of any use in predicting failures, at least from the few posted here.

I wish the folks at FNH-USA could tell us what is going on, or if there are any things that end users are doing (or not doing) to exacerbate this problem.

I am comforted that they seem to be taking good care of owners that are having problems with the fire control group, and I have not even come close to canceling my FNP-45 order, but, I need to have confidence in the weapon I use for my personal safety, and if that confidence is eroded, even a little, then I have a problem that needs addressing.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It would be interesting to see a picture of the fire control group of the 45. Is it the exact same design? Looking at the size of the slide, I bet it's much beefier. Anyone have one of these guns yet to take a picture for comparison?

·
Registered
114 Posts
It just seems so random. Serial number ranges don't seem to be of any use in predicting failures, at least from the few posted here.

I wish the folks at FNH-USA could tell us what is going on, or if there are any things that end users are doing (or not doing) to exacerbate this problem.
hell, does anyone know if Herstal (Belgium) produced suffer from the same failures? for the time being i think i've only seen reports from americans (but that could be due to them using the guns in waaaay vaster numbers than us eurotrash).

·
Registered
114 Posts
could be.

saw one in the store overhere, but couldn't get my dirty paws all over it (to check where it was made) because it wasn't labled/priced yet. they said it was 'belgian' though. i was kinda skeptical about that as well, since FN doesn't usually produce the same things in two different locations.

·
Registered
73 Posts
BlitzPig said:
You know, I must admit I'm starting to worry a bit about this problem.

I am comforted that they seem to be taking good care of owners that are having problems with the fire control group, and I have not even come close to canceling my FNP-45 order, but, I need to have confidence in the weapon I use for my personal safety, and if that confidence is eroded, even a little, then I have a problem that needs addressing.

I agree, that is why I have been persistent here in asking FNH to let us know what is really going on. I have been derided for doing so, but, I think it is the best interests of the shooting public that FNH be dogged, if neccessary, to answer our concerns.

I know I'll probably get flamed for this post, but, better I get flamed than somebody gets killed.

Fire away. :grin:

·
Registered
25 Posts
trigger

i have said how bob at fn had me disass.my fn and test it,when i went to reass. the slide would not go past the decocker,upon checking why i found the pin had come loose and was in the way,if this was to happen while live firing the side would have enough tork to crack the trigger ass. and pop the pin back in.i showed this to 2 gunsmiths i know and they agree

·
Registered
25 Posts
this reply is to put ironmans mind at ease, according to fn the crack has happened to a total of 300 fnps both 9 and 40 compianed out of just over 40000 guns that is not even 1 percent. no serial numbers are given due to the way fn bounces parts around.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That makes sense. If the fire control group housings are manufactured separately and shipped in, you might get a lot of variance in the serial numbers as shown on the frame vs. the date of manufacture on the FCG housings. In other words you could have some new frames with older FCG housings and vice versa. impossible to track that, unless you had a serial on the housing itself.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sheesh, I've gone on dates with higher failure rates than that!

:lol:

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Took a little over a month to get my FNP9 back for this same repair. I have not had a chance to put any rounds through it as of yet. Waiting for it to reach temps somewhere above zero here.
I posted somtime ago about FN's customer service when I spoke with Bob Ailes over the phone. I asked him if they were going to replace the entire firearm with a new one or just service the original. The reason I asked was because I think at least one person here got a new firearm back from them. He seemed to equivicate a bit on this and then finally said they have the part to fix it.
I then asked him about the possibility of keeping the gun and allowing me to swap it out for a .357. I said I would pay the cost difference. To this he flatly said NO! Thats a whole different process is the way he put it.
So I was left with the impression that he didn't want to go through a "process" to work with a customer. So be it. No big deal I am just as happy having my 9 back but I wasn't too impressed with customer service overall.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts