FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened near Tampa today. I feel the stupid texter should have been more respectful and could have defused situation. Also, the movie manager should have been more proactive, they have rules but do not enforce them. They should just kick people out faster. So many idiots at the theaters these days, that my family does not go anymore. With that said, he should not have been shot. I think the retired officer just has had enough with stupid people and our stupid government...just built up in him and he lost it.

An argument over texting in a Florida movie theater Monday triggered a retired Tampa police captain to fatally shoot a man sitting in front of him, as about 25 horrified moviegoers looked on, sheriff's officials said.
"Somebody throws popcorn. I'm not sure who threw the popcorn," said Charles Cummings, who, as a birthday treat, was about to watch the movie "Lone Survivor" at The Grove 16 Theater."And then bang, he was shot."Curtis Reeves, 71, has been charged with second-degree murder and it's not immediately clear whether he has retained an attorney.Pasco County Sheriff's officials said the shooting happened when Reeves asked 43-year-old Chad Oulson to stop texting at the theater in Wesley Chapel, a suburb about a half hour north of downtown Tampa.Reeves and his wife were sitting behind Oulson and his wife. Oulson told Reeves that he was texting with his 3-year-old daughter, Cummings said."It ended almost as quickly as it started," said sheriff's spokesman Doug Tobin. The sheriff's office says an off-duty Sumter County deputy detained Reeves until police arrived.Cummings and his son Alex — who both had blood on their clothes as they walked out of the theater — told a group of reporters Monday afternoon that the show was still in previews when the two couples started arguing.Cummings said the man in the back row — later identified as Reeves — got up and left the auditorium, presumably to get a manager. But he came back after a few minutes, without a manager and appearing upset. Moments later, the argument between the two men resumed, and the man in the front row stood up.Officials said Oulson asked Reeves if he reported him to management for using his phone.Cummings said the men started raising their voices and popcorn was thrown. Authorities said Reeves took out a gun, and Oulson's wife put her hand over her husband, and that's when Reeves fired his weapon, striking Nichole Oulson in the hand and her husband in the chest."I can't believe people would bring a pistol, a gun, to a movie," Cummings said. "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn. Over a cellphone."Cummings, who said he was a combat Marine in Vietnam, said Oulson fell onto him and his son."Blood started coming out of his mouth," said Alex Cummings. "It was just a very bad scene."Charles Cummings said his son went to call 911, while Cummings and another patron who claimed to a nurse began performing CPR on the victim.A man sitting next to the shooter grabbed the gun out of his hand, and the suspect did not attempt to get away, Cummings said.Oulson and his wife were taken by ambulance to a Tampa-area hospital, where the Chad Oulson died, Tobin said. His wife's injuries weren't considered life-threatening.Tampa Police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said in a news release that Reeves was a captain when he retired from the department in 1993. She added that he was instrumental in establishing the agency's first tactical response team. After he retired, Reeves worked security for the Busch Gardens theme park and was on the board of a neighboring county's Crime Stoppers organization. Reeves' son also is a Tampa officer, police said.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It may of been self defense. I'm curios to see this play out. It said the incident became physical in one article I read. Age, size, and other factors could play an important role. The guy did try to get the manager. Either way, using a firearm in a crowded theatre isn't a wise decision.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
What a mess, two families shattered. Tempers and entitlement are a deadly mix. People get so fixed on using their cell phones they feel entitled to use them everywhere. It has ruined the movies, minimum wage theater workers are not able to do much about the problem.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I don't go to the movies. Stupid people all the time messing it up. Besides I can watch at home.

Reactions: gasbag

·
Registered
192 Posts
I love all the "I can't believe people would bring a gun to see a movie" in the comments section of the news article. I'm thinking, as a legal CCW holder, that this IS ONE PLACE that I want my gun.. and a couple spare mags while I'm at it. It's hard for me to understand why someone would not want the option to protect the life of their family and themselves in case a nut job shooter showed up.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I love all the "I can't believe people would bring a gun to see a movie" in the comments section of the news article. I'm thinking, as a legal CCW holder, that this IS ONE PLACE that I want my gun.. and a couple spare mags while I'm at it. It's hard for me to understand why someone would not want the option to protect the life of their family and themselves in case a nut job shooter showed up.
No joke. One chain theater by me is 'gun free' (although I've never seen "no guns" signs anywhere, which they're supposed to have if they want to enforce it/be legal about it). Anyway, not a huge fan of those theaters anyway. Too crowded and expensive (3 or 4 of them in the area). Every time I've been to one, I keep thinking it's a nightmare waiting to happen.

·
Registered
368 Posts
All the theaters in my area are gun free - it seems. However we decided to go see The Hobbit and I didn't notice ;) as the sign is supposed to be on the door, not at the ticket counter where my wife bought the tickets for us and our sons while they were home for leave and visiting for Christmas. When we sat down to watch, my son leaned over and whispers, "Dad, are you packing?" "Yes, and some." "OK, at least someone I know is, and make sure you know were the exits are…" He is stationed in Colorado.

I heard about this on the news. If you are carrying, you are polite, and a non-escalator. I guess wait to see how it plays out, but I know the anti's will be all over this.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Very pathetic indeed. As well as the "why can't we be more civilized and do away with guns like other countries" mentality. Or one particular comment that really had me laughing because of the absurdity went something like this "only police, security guards, and military should have guns." I guess he glossed over the part that the shooter is a retired police officer. It kind of worries me about how much bad **** that guy did while he was still and active duty police officer.

~~The article I read said this all broke out Before the movie started so I can't imagine why someone would be so upset about this that they need to start an altercation. That old man must've really wanted to watch those 20 minutes of commercials followed by another 15 minutes of previews.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Couldn't agree more with the sentiment that this is a problem if this happened before the movie started during the previews. Who cares if someone is texting during what are essentially commercials? Regardless of that, if someone is being rude during a movie, do they deserve a physical beat-down? Probably, but to be shot and killed? Wow

·
Registered
289 Posts
If a movie is a must see then I take time off and go during the day while everyone is at work and school. Concealed means concealed. If you save 42 people in a theatre because you carried in a gun free zone then take whatever punishment they give you if any. It is better than the alternative.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If a movie is a must see then I take time off and go during the day while everyone is at work and school. Concealed means concealed. If you save 42 people in a theatre because you carried in a gun free zone then take whatever punishment they give you if any. It is better than the alternative.
I agree. To me this has nothing to do with concealed carry. It reminds me of almost every time I hear about a road rage shooting an off duty cop is involved. Sometimes two off duty cops shoot each other. This is more about an idiot ex cop than concealed carry.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I think I will avoid "gun free zones"

Reactions: Gers4Lyfe

·
Registered
703 Posts
My thoughts exactly.
Why would I want to go to the movies and end up sitting next to someone who won't shut up and smells bad.
All I have to do is wait 3 weeks for the movie to come out on DVD and watch it in the comfort of my own home.
I have all the snacks I want and the popcorn doesn't cost $20, it is nice and quiet and my pooches like movies too.
Sounds like a comfortable night compared to the chaos of going out....

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
My thoughts exactly.
Why would I want to go to the movies and end up sitting next to someone who won't shut up and smells bad.
All I have to do is wait 3 weeks for the movie to come out on DVD and watch it in the comfort of my own home.
I have all the snacks I want and the popcorn doesn't cost $20, it is nice and quiet and my pooches like movies too.

3 weeks?! :-D It's already online if you know were to look.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
We should ban movie theaters so people can't shoot other people in movie theaters....

In all seriousness the movie theaters around where I live aren't that bad as I thought they were(about 45 min north-ish from where the shooting happened for reference if you care). I just recently took a girl out to see a movie and nobody said a word during the whole movie. No phone calls, no texts, no BS. People laughed during some funny parts and that's it.

Reactions: Gers4Lyfe

·
Registered
454 Posts
From what I've seen on the news, the retired cop didn't appreciate a guy texting his 3 year old daughter during the previews. Sorry, texting is a hell of a lot quieter and more polite than TALKING on a cellphone. And I'm sorry, but anyone but a friggin cop or a psychopath would not pick a fight over someone not listening to them. A NORMAL human being would have either moved or gone to the manager and either demanded a refund or to have the other person removed. Shooting a guy because he threw popcorn at you? That's just pathetic. And that's what the retired Vietnam vet Marine and his son saw, right before the "heinous texting villan" fell on him after being shot.

I text during movies sometimes, I have my phone on vibrate, and if you hear it it's because the movie itself is dead silent at that moment. Sometimes people have potentially important things happening. I have friends who are on-call for their jobs (many are military), or have children, or even clingy girlfriends. They will have their phones on vibrate, and they will read a text during a movie to see it's importance. If a little screen distracts you, YOU have the problem.

I hope this guy gets the death penalty.

·
Registered
173 Posts
No joke. One chain theater by me is 'gun free' (although I've never seen "no guns" signs anywhere, which they're supposed to have if they want to enforce it/be legal about it). Anyway, not a huge fan of those theaters anyway. Too crowded and expensive (3 or 4 of them in the area). Every time I've been to one, I keep thinking it's a nightmare waiting to happen.
Which one? Celebration? I wish we had a better option :/

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Ada/Lowell 5. A lot cheaper. Unfortunately most of the other theaters are gone.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts