FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So the other weekend I went into my local gun shop to see if they had some Wilson Combat mags for my 1911. Walked out with a receipt and pending paperwork on a SCAR-17S (in black, the best color). So they got me on that one, the good ol' impulse purchase, as I've never seen a SCAR on the wall of any gun shop in CA, let alone the last gun shop in San Francisco. I'll pick it up in a few days, I'm excited as it's my first 7.62 and my first long rifle in a very long time. I'd guess I'm building it up towards some sorta DMR-type configuration, shooting from 100-800 yards. I went full retard and picked up a Leupold MK8 cbqss on ebay with the M-TMR reticle, the price seemed excellent so hey why not give that a try. It's only money and you can make top ramen taste pretty good for a few months if you put your mind to it.

Anyhow a couple more small accessories are on the way (bipod, 500 rounds of 7.62, etc), what I'm interested in now is some good reading on how to zero in a new rifle/scope, and in general how to use a piece of glass like the mk8 with that particular reticle. I've found some good threads on the mechanical break-in for the rifle, so I've got that covered, but any and all advice or input is appreciated. I'll post pics when I get it in a more interesting-looking configuration than out-of-the-box stock.

-R

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts
That is one hell of an impulse purchase.

Welcome and congrats on the 17!

And enjoy the ramen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so...

you go in for 1911 mags and come out with a SCAR... Sweet !

Welcome to the forum !
heh well to be perfectly honest I've been hovering around the idea of a 7.62 battle rifle for a while now...but yeah, more-or-less an impulse buy SCAR. Whoops.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
That's a sound impulse buy. One decision you won't regret!

As far as your question on zeroing the rifle, read section 18 of the owner's manual for irons. After they are zero'd, mount your scope nice and plumb as possible (don't obsess over it!). Start by zeroing the scope by lining it up with the irons on the 1.1x magnification. (Like a co-witness. You don't need a true co-witness, just some rough visuals to get on paper) Get on paper, then make fine adjustments from there. Go for the 25M zero, which will also be the zero for 300M. Or if you like, just zero it for 100m, since 90% of your shooting will be at that distance (unless you're one of the lucky few with long range access).

You could also buy one of those laser bore sights for $17 to get on paper without too much effort.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hell yes! :shock: Congrats on the incoming SCAR!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Congrats on the new toy. I've seen one 17S in SoCal Angeles Gun Range.

Mine was was an impulse buy as well. One day I got a wild hair, called up my favorite shop and asked if they got a 17. They said yes in FDE. I told them if they have a black one, I'd buy it. They went and found one in the back that another shooter ordered but changed his mind. I told then, "SOLD!!!"

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's so good you will soon be buying another in a different color. Nobody said it yet so I'll say it: Welcome to the dark side!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine was an impulse buy too. I dragged the wife along to a local gun shop, just to check the place out. Maybe annoy her with some pink colored gun or something.

Walked out with a SCAR 17.

Whoops!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Welcome to the FORUM , and congrats on your impulsiveness, I don't think you will regret it. As far as sight in goes, I would start w/ the BUIS as the book explains, if that is your preferred zero. Once you install your scope your rear iron may not flip up, so I would first set up at 25m to get a rough-in so your not throwing dollar bills down range wondering where they are hitting. Once this is accomplished go to 100m and zero it, you should be on the paper. After that its about personal preference as to what range you want you want your zero (POI) to be at, what will be your most common range be at, and use that 500 rds. to learn what you need to do, and by all means do all of this off of a good bench w/ good bags to eliminate as much human error as possible. Good luck, have fun and of course be careful. :?

·
Registered
84 Posts
As far as accuracy goes I think the FDE model is more accurate! I only say this because I just christened my FDE Scar 17 on Sunday and with the iron sights my first shot at 25yds was .25" from the x. My next two shots were .25" to the right in the shape of a snowman. I didn't dare make an adjustment! That was shooting off a table, no rest or sling, using Seth African milsurp I used to shoot in my FAL. And....it was gusting about 35 mph at the time. 100yds was putting them in a dinner plate group. Not too shabby!

·
Registered
273 Posts
How good is it? Meh, it's another gun. Seems to be relatively light for a semi-auto. Seems to shoot pretty accurately. Folds up pretty nice. Loud enough to deafen ya though. And probably not as accurate as a $500 bolt gun.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts