FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post, and I just acquired my first AWESOME hi-power. I've posted pics but really wanted to throw a little info your way and let ALL of your knowledge flow back my way. I understand that dating them can be pretty tough, but I've got confidence in you guys. It is a FN model with fixed sights. 55000 range matching #s (frame, slide, barrel). It has * over W on all three parts, has the # 8 stamped on the top of the right side trigger guard, and the typical Lion over PV ( some guy called it the dancing lizard) on all 3 parts as well. On the back where the hammer strikes the firing pin, there is an "A" below the pin, and the #1 in a box with the bottom of the box missing. I read somewhere that the section of the box that's missing has something to do with what quarter it was produced. Just from my very vague research I'm guessing early 50s west German police. Can anyone break this info down for me??? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, I guess the subject in general, or the pictures are bad??? I Assumed this would be a great forum for this thread. I've seen others ask this qestion and get good answers, or at least some good direction for finding answers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Your 55000 range FN BHP appears to be '53 production ...which is within the West German Police issue range. The "1" within the partial square is the Part Date Code for 3rd quarter of '51. A thorough inspection of the pistol will most likely reveal later ("2" and/or "3" within a partial square) Part Date Codes. The "W" is the FN Factory Code for Controller (Inspector) Nicolas Wolfs who began his Controller duties @ FN in '52. Such pistols originated from commercial production, hence the only way to confirm actual WG Police issue is through the matching SN'd WG Police Holster and/or the matching SN'd magazines. Your pictured magazines [email protected] a glance anyway, to be period correct to the pistol, the serial number would be located on the baseplates.

VERY nice pistol :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent information Sub!!! Thanks for the knowledge. I did see more of the #s in square marking inside the frame, and I believe on the barrel but they're faint and very hard to take pics of with an iphone... I tried. From my small amount of research, I did believe the w to be an inspector mark, but didn't know where to get that info. AGAIN, thanks. I hope to get out and shoot it a little this weekend, we'll see how she performs. ::!!!::

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You were spot on sub!!! After looking at the barrel, I see the 3 in a box with the top missing, so I assume 1st quarter '53 is when the barrel was manufactured. You're a genius. There are a few other markings, and I could annoy the forum with questions for days, but I won't do that, even though its interesting for ME. You stated that there would possibly be matching serial #s on the base plate of the mags, but I'm not seeing #s at all. The only markings on the mags are a small mark on the bottom left of the back of the mag body, right against the base plate. One of which looks like a "0" in a topless box (1st quarter '50?), and the other is much harder to see. I need a magnifying glass, as the eyes ain't what they used to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts