FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys and Gals, esteemed fellow members, I am curious to know if there's any interest in having an M9 Bayonet Lug made integral with the 16s/17s gas block? The FN FNAC which seems to have gone no further than prototype stage displays a bayonet lug but one which is clamped to the barrel just ahead of the gas block. I don't fancy nor am I partial to additional nodes and wouldn't dream of adversely affecting very accurate barrel assemblies.

I am soon to be shipping my 16s' barrel to Marvin Pitts at NeFarious Arms for a good chopping and permanent FH attachment. I just got off the phone with Marvin inquiring what it would take to produce a gas block w/bayonet lug? Luckily as Marvin stated, he personally knows the designer of the M9 so dimensional and mounting specifics are easily obtainable for him. There is a barrel length requirement for M9 fitment and my soon to be 16.1 OAL barrel will I believe afford that spec. Marvin has a 16s barrel prepped for shipping today and he is currently searching for his M9 to check feasibility.

I did my civic Forum duty extolling the virtues and benefits of NeFarious Arms joining the Sponsor Member fold, he'll look into it and maybe one day we'll have him here amongst us too. When we were discussing the gas block/bayonet matter he mentioned if he had at least 20 people with firm interest it would offset the cost of R&D. So, anyone interested NOW is the time to be heard and counted. :?

What to do if interested?

Call Marvin Pitts at 479-559-2184 and tell him you are interested in the same Gas Block/M9 Bayonet Lug as Sean from FNForum. Also, remind him that it would be worth his while in more than one way to contact Admin and become a Forum Sponsor.

Disclaimer:

I have no vested interest in NeFarious Arms LLC, 479-559-2184, I have never met Marvin Pitts, I have corresponded with he and Beth a few times via email and spoke with he and Beth once each on the phone. I am only interested in a bayonet lug for myself and thought it swell and "rubber coated" of me to offer the same possibility to others if they share my want and desire for said bayonet lug. Yeah, you may think it's a bit much, but I would argue that anyone who sees a fixed bayonet coming at them or sitting idle is generally impressed if not terrified by the sight. My 16s is a fighting tool, nothing more, nothing less. An Uncle trained me in the use of a bayonet so why not add it to my arsenal if it can be had.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do make great finger and toe nail trimmers, toothpicks too, they're also quite adept at making adversaries "stick" around. :lol:

They didn't even let us train with bayonets during basic haha. Air Force...

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
FYI:

For those that don't think or believe a bayonet is still a relevant CQB fighting implement need only research the British Army and USMC involvement in the sandboxes. In most cases you could actually save ammo by merely displaying a fixed bayonet. There's a severe psychological AND physical reaction to getting run-thru, cut or slashed which according to science we humans are more adverse to than being shot. It also makes an excellent multi-purpose tool to have handy when times aren't so fresh and anemic but rather more stinky and exciting. It's actually odd to me that SOCOM didn't request FNH add the lug, SOCOM as far as I'm aware still trains with bayonets, I know I did, if they aren't they've slipped a little.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome McC! :?

Using the provided phone number in my OP give Marvin a call and tell him that you're interested in the lug that Sean from the Forum is. I have yet to hear back regarding feasibility but am sure that's not an issue. Good, between you and I we only need 17 more firm interests. :biggrin:

I'm in for possibly two.

·
Registered
609 Posts
i would like one that mounts to the new mi keymod rail extension. not interested in a gasblock mount as the oem hanguard is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to short to be useful

·
Registered
609 Posts
i would like one that mounts to the new mi keymod rail extension. not interested in a gasblock mount as the oem hanguard is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short to be useful

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to be rude or inconsiderate JonM, but your comments are useful to this thread how? :p

i would like one that mounts to the new mi keymod rail extension. not interested in a gasblock mount as the oem hanguard is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to short to be useful
i would like one that mounts to the new mi keymod rail extension. not interested in a gasblock mount as the oem hanguard is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short to be useful

·
Registered
609 Posts
Not to be rude or inconsiderate JonM, but your comments are useful to this thread how? :p
you asked if there was interest... i thought you wanted scar owner feed back. so i said if there was one that was rail mounted yes, gasblock no....

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fair enough but the thread title does indicate a gas block version, you'd need to contact MI for your lug not NeFarious. Just curious, why is it that you think the SCAR's hand guard is way too short? I was trained in the bayonet affixed to a CAR-15/XM-177 Commando and found it to be very handy, the SCAR's hand guard is longer than a CAR's.

you asked if there was interest... i thought you wanted scar owner feed back. so i said if there was one that was rail mounted yes, gasblock no....

Reactions: cetane

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very good Trouble Sir, very good!

Don't rely on me to get your request to Marvin, I have provided his phone number in the OP. Call him on Monday and let him know, telling him Sean from here sent you and again, remind him to become a Forum Sponsor. If he does it's a Win Win for all concerned. :?

I'm in for 1 maybe 2.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure how many have decided to call Marvin and make a request, just don't want this to get sidelined.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Fair enough, but I can only draw you a mental image. Below the gas block, positioned to accommodate bayonet attachment and integral with the gas block. The critical dimension is over-all barrel length and Marvin should have that determined by next Tuesday. I'm having my 16's barrel chopped to 16.1 OAL w/Surefire SF3P FH permanently attached, I believe my barrel length will work perfectly, not sure on the OEM 16". Below is a photo of a competitors configuration for your non-mental viewing pleasure.

View attachment 29029

I would need pics to gauge my interest

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From what Marvin told me he removes it prior to inserting the barrel in his lathe, so I imagine with only one pin it can't be that difficult. Marvin also informed me, the gas block is hard chrome lined, not the cylinder, that we know but the larger gas block bore as well. Them FN boys go all the way with quality don't they?

Any idea how hard it will be to replace the gas block ?
About the only thing I haven't removed

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't forget Gentlemen, if you have an interest in having this done to your SCAR you need to let Marvin know. You can call him at 479-559-2184.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any further interest guys? If you want one, you gotta make it known! :?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts