FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought one of the original AMT AutoMag II's for $220 dollars from the local shop. It looks to have had very few round through it. It shoots fricken awesome with PMC Predator and CCI Maxi Mag ammo, it doesn't seem to like anything else. But with those two it functions flawlessly ! I went online looking at stuff about it and found out I got a hell of deal on it as they usually go for about 600 to 800 dollars, that is if you can find one. I also found out High Standard is producing them again with "supposed" design improvements. I found a revue article that states the new High Standard version has the same issue's as the old ones from AMT. All of the AutoMags seem to suffer from the same issue, having to find the one or two ammo types the pistol likes. After that is figured they function perfectly. The other Pro to the gun is the fact that it is the only auto-loader in 22mag. I love this thing now that I found the ammo it likes to run ! The low recoil and awesome muzzle flash are great ! I will post a pic later !

·
Registered
76 Posts
yes, they are nice. I have had good luck with Winchester ammo in mine. The problem is once you get one, you want more. :D

Automag II

Automag III

Automag V

AMT Backup in .400 Corbon

I must say out of those, the Automag III is the most impressive. The .30 carbine is quite impressive at the range...It not only shoots great, the report and muzzle flash gets everyone attention.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I already started looking for another ! I was wondering, how is that 30 cal. I was thinking about getting one of those ! Also, did you know High Standard is going to produce the entire line ? Even to the original AMT Auto Mag specifications while making them with design improvements and they say they have fixed some design flaws, while also hardening more of the wear prone parts. I am going to buy one and see how they are, but almost $700.00 for one? Damn, I can buy an original for that !

tdporter said:
yes, they are nice. I have had good luck with Winchester ammo in mine. The problem is once you get one, you want more. :D

Automag II

Automag III

Automag V

AMT Backup in .400 Corbon

I must say out of those, the Automag III is the most impressive. The .30 carbine is quite impressive at the range...It not only shoots great, the report and muzzle flash gets everyone attention.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I remember reading something about High Standard somewhere. I'm not sure I'd buy one of them. One of the lures to the AMT was the lack of availability. Luckily I got mine several years back when they weren't quite so pricey.

The .30 is really cool, it is my favorite of the bunch. I am still on the look out for a mint long slide 45 though at a decent price.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
http://www.highstandard.com/

High Standard is here in Houston. My bro bought an AR15 from them. (thru a dealer) I ended up with the upper, no problems with it at all.

We haven't bought any handguns from them yet though.

TA

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found some more literature on the new High Standard AutoMag II's and it state: " the chamber has been reworked to eliminate the chamber dimple's". According to what I understand about the 22 mag's use in the AutoMag as a handgun cartridge, these very dimples are what make the 22 mag function correctly by delaying the cartridge and blow back as to make it more accurate and facilitate positive powder burn ? This is also the reason certain cartridges work perfectly and others don't as the brass was made different and it wouldn't swell into the recesses to aid in the extraction process ? I think I will order one from them and see how they work. I found a review on them(as I stated earlier) that said they are basically just like the originals with a slightly better finish ? The article also lists that they still half to find their ammo of choice just like the originals. I think I will be buying a 30 cal. also. I see your talking about buying a Silver Baller ? I have always wanted a pare of those too ! I am still lack luster in finding any.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure, but I think they are entirely different rounds ? I don't really know ! I thought they made two different mag rounds, but not exactly sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts