FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any problems with the FNX-45 Tactical? I was just curious as I was thinking about purchasing one in the near future. Anything good about the handguns is also welcome :) Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recommend you look down 10-20 posts in this section of the forum. There's a few recent posts with good info for the same question. Good luck!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have had mine for over a year now and have had no problems, it's my favorite .45 pistol to date and I've had quite a few since .45 is my favorite caliber. However, you will find a few posts on here with folks complaining about magazines not dropping free and/or difficulty inserting the mag if done from a certain angle. Also, feed it full power 230 grain ammo (at least for the first few hundred rounds) as the recoil spring is quite stiff.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
:welcomesigntb3: to the FORUM ! One problem I have with mine is it continually tares out the center of targets. The second problem I had was I no longer wanted to carry my Kimber for a back-up so I bought another FNX 45 TAC . Seriously though, it's the best handgun I've shot, great features you normally only see on a custom at a 3k price tag. Awesome firepower w/ 16 rds. capacity of 45 ACP, plus that sexy option of the (FDE) version. I like the look my buddies get on their face after I hand it to them and they run a mag through it, you know what they're thinking. 8)

·
Registered
841 Posts
You guys have done this guy a major disservice.

There are a couple MAJOR problems with the FNX-45 Tactical and only one of them has been raised here.

1) it is a GATEWAY DRUG to suppressor ownership. Even if you already own a 45-cal silencer, the Tac will want one of the newer models. This horrible disease will immediately lighten your wallet and cause months of mental agony!

2) it immediately makes almost every other gun require a new level of maintenance. Your EDC gun is safe... for now, but all of a sudden all your non-FNX pistols require a periodic dusting! This can also cause issues with your significant other! "Why do you need all those other pistols when you only carry [that one], and only ever shoot this one [points to Tac]?" And this comes from someone who has owned and shot an HK Tac and no longer does either of those things.

3) BBG hit this on the head. Another MAJOR problem with the FNX is that one is not enough. You will require a second FNX. And possibly a third. And in another couple months when FN releases their carry gun... a WHOLE NEW PROBLEM will arise!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was unfortunate enough to get one that the mags would not drop free. I paid to have it taken care of quickly rather than a multi week wait with FN. They obviously have some mag related issues, some say with the mags others like me believe its the mag release. Some have troubles inserting the mag while other don't. I did not have that issue. That is really the only downside to the handgun that I can see. Mine hasn't had an FTE or FTF yet in about 750 rounds.

Some downplay the mag issues, if you plan on depending on the handgun to work as it should than it is a serious issue. If your just target shooting with it, I guess you can over look the issue. I spent hours functioning the mag release and put 500 rounds through it, and it made no difference. I must have just got a ****ty one. As some suggest, function the handgun before paying for it if possible. If the mag sticks or fails to insert, leave it.

·
Registered
508 Posts

There are a couple MAJOR problems with the FNX-45 Tactical and only one of them has been raised here.

1) it is a GATEWAY DRUG to suppressor ownership. Even if you already own a 45-cal silencer, the Tac will want one of the newer models. This horrible disease will immediately lighten your wallet and cause months of mental agony!

2) it immediately makes almost every other gun require a new level of maintenance. Your EDC gun is safe... for now, but all of a sudden all your non-FNX pistols require a periodic dusting! This can also cause issues with your significant other! "Why do you need all those other pistols when you only carry [that one], and only ever shoot this one [points to Tac]?" And this comes from someone who has owned and shot an HK Tac and no longer does either of those things.

3) BBG hit this on the head. Another MAJOR problem with the FNX is that one is not enough. You will require a second FNX. And possibly a third. And in another couple months when FN releases their carry gun... a WHOLE NEW PROBLEM will arise!
Very valid points! Part of the reason that I bought my 45 tac was to motivate me to go through the steps to purchase a suppressor. Now I have a few suppressors in pending status, lol.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
This is very true and well said. I could not agree more!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would highly recommend that you clear the factory lube and use your favorite lube...other than that there are a lot of great threads in here for you to read over...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Sticky mag release is the only issue I know of. Not on mine (I don't own one. yet). But on a friend of mines. Its on my short list. Another friend of mine just bought one and we're taking it out Saturday. I can't wait to shoot that thing. :arrow:

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
My mag release was sticky initially, but that worked itself out pretty quickly and mags drop free as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday. All I can say is WOW. This weapon is going to keep my Dillon 550B busy. My mix for 45acp: Starline cases, Winchester WST (4.3gr.), Oregon Trail Laser Cast 230 LRN, and CCI large pistol primers. This weapon has really stirred up some trouble in my little 45acp family.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Absolutely love the pistol and I absolutely do not regret my purchase. Mag capacity plus threaded barrel plus ability to mount a red-dot straight from the factory = perfection. My mag release is a little tough, but that is my only complaint. Not a single malfunction in about a year of ownership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only problem I have had is putting the dang thing down since I got it. The other problem is every one else wants to shoot it too. I am mostly a rifle guy but since I got it, I have been shooting way lots more pistol. Other than that, I can't think of any other issues.

Seriously though, mine has worked flawless so far and I am not a FN fanboy - I have the Smiths, Glocks, CZ, 1911's, etc. and have to say this pistol had been a game changer for me. It put a big hole in my pocket..... but I have never looked back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts