FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a semi auto rifle. Since I'm active duty USAF EOD I get to use an M4 and used to use a GUU-5P(the old A1 upper with FA), so I know how they act. They're alright but just don't seem like the gun I want.

Sooooooo......I've been eyeing a FS2000 for a while now, but along with one of these I'm eyeing a MSAR STG556. Obviously I'm looking at buying a bullpup. Since the STG556 isn't released yet, I'm more looking to a FN. They are comparatively priced from what I can see. The FN may be a tad more but that's fine and dandy. Not to mention over the years of being in the USAF I've acquired M16 mags so I don't need to buy extras...bonus. The local gunshop has at least one($2350 :evil: ) but they don't know crap about it. They've made it the novelty display along with a Barret M82A1 Carbine. Today I went by and handled it and played with it a bit. I must say I like.

So with the exception of macguyver on here having that plastic piece break at 15k rounds. I haven't heard of any other problems; have anything to share?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I really like mine, I've put somewhere between 500-1000rd through it so far. The only issues I've had have been from mags loading with 30rds. Load 28 and they are easier to insert and run perfectly.
Mine is has been more accurate than my Sig 556 has been so far. I have an M-4 Semi that's a little more accurate than the FS.
The trigger pull sucks really badly as first but now has smoothed up to just sucks a little.
I think it would be a great weapon for an entry gun, truck driver or other application where it's compactness would be an asset.
Eotech's work great on them.
Buy the Urban-ERT sling if you get one.
It comes with flip-up sites but you'll have to buy different ones if you want it to co-witness with the Eotech.
Be carefull of QD mounts on your optics, make sure they don't interfere with the charging handle.
Here's mine:

Oh, and extra forends are only about $16 so adding accessories to them is easy.............................DJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well looks like I'm just going to go ahead and get one. Althougth since I'm off to live in Turkey for the next 15 months I can own it just not enjoy it(rifled bore is illegal there). I'd rather get it now before the prices go up or they get banned pending next year.

Thanks for your tidbits of info they actually answered questions I didn't think to ask. As to the loading 28rds I never fully load a M16 mag to 30 for the very reason you were saying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Took mine out to the range today with my 5-7 and AR. Used it mainly shooting from the shoulder at 50 yards.

Get the EOtech sight for it and you definately won't regret buying it.

This gun is so easy to shoot and feels so natural pointing and shooting from the shoulder. I love mine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
eodcole, go for it. While they're obviously very expensive, they are also excellent rifles, durable, accurate, and the fact they feed from AR-15/M-16 magazines makes them all the more desirable. Plus, FNH makes quality products and they have phenomenal customer service.

The recoil impulse is light and manageable. The ejection system is reliable despite the unique way it operates. The rifle is perfectly balanced over the strong hand even with a full magazine.

A few things you should keep in mind- the trigger takes time to work in. It gets better, but it won't get as good as a nice AR trigger. Also, some areas of the stock/receiver have been known to chip or break, especially the front section where the barrel assembly slides off. Certain ammunition with hard primers (mil-surplus mainly) may have light strikes due to the firing pin's spring preventing it from a full strike. The engineers at FNH in Belgium are working on a fix for this. I've had it happen with IMI surplus and Radway Green.

I have my FS2000 fit out with an Aimpoint CompC on a low mount. I have a lower 1/3 co-witness with the front sight, and I have plenty of room left on the rail to add a 3x magnifier if necessary.

Thanks for your service!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts