FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have to wait to order ammo after picking up my scar. I usually buy 9mm and 45mm from walmart as the prices seem reasonable.

I never looked at 308 ammo before. Does Wal-Mart have any reasonably priced 308 ammo that works well with the scar? If so what brands and about how much is it?

Thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
Most Walmarts are now selling Nato spec 7.62 in the ZQ1 brand. Its made in Turkey and I haven't had any issues with the 2 boxes ive run through.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The local WalMarts here have had Winchester 150 grain 308 from time to time. Before the frenzy I bought it a lot at $20 per 20 out the door. Mostly I just ran it downrange to get the brass for reloading. Now it is nearly a miracle to find it on their shelves and they limit it to 3 boxes per customer per day.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Most Walmarts are now selling Nato spec 7.62 in the ZQ1 brand. Its made in Turkey and I haven't had any issues with the 2 boxes ive run through.
I'm curious to know what price you paid for the ZQI 7.62X51 at Walmart. The Walmart in my area only has the ZQI 9mm and 5.56 ammo in stock, and the 9mm is not cheap at $22.00 a box.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Trying to buy ammo at local stores has been an exercise in futility for me. I just keep an ammo (and reloading component) fund and buy in bulk when I find a good deal. I calculate how much each box of ammo costs (or how much a box of my reloads cost based on component cost) including shipping, hazmat fee, etc and "buy" them from myself by putting that amount back into the fund as I use the ammo. That way I've got the money there the next time I need something.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The ZQI was 17.95 per box of 20 at my Walmart, so about a buck per round out the door. They were available in bulk cans too, but I didn't catch the quantity or price on those.

Reactions: Tirador

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to shoot some accurate shots with a scope using my scar 17s long range. Do you know if Walmart would have better more accurate ammo than something like the privi?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've never seen any at Walmart. I'd wait and order some bulk online.
What are the online deals you are seeing? The last one I saw was Natchez a few weeks ago. I only bought 1K and should have doubled that. The price was so low I'm still wondering if it was a mistake?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I want to shoot some accurate shots with a scope using my scar 17s long range. Do you know if Walmart would have better more accurate ammo than something like the privi?
Some gentlemen on this forum are consistently shooting sub MOA with privi. It just just doesn't get much more accurate than that.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I haven't seen any deals at WalMart for rifle ammo. .308 is over a buck a round. Buy in bulk over the internet when you find the deals.

·
Registered
637 Posts
WM prices keep slowly climbing. I used to buy a lot of my plinking stuff from them. Now even considering shipping, most decent online places are equal or better. And no 3 box limits. I'm noticing ammo sitting much longer at the WM's round here. Don't get me wrong, it still has Ganderape Mountain beat. But it's not really cheap anymore.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
The days of the 9mm WWB of 100 for 11 bucks is over.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Wal-Marts near me, the only reasonably priced .308 was Federal PowerShok, which was $17 for 20. It is kind of steep for range ammo, though if you shoot stuff (cans, fruit, etc) that explodes, it is more fun than ball ammo. And it presumably would be suitable hunting ammo. All .308 they carry was hunting ammo, so like Core-Lokt, or Fusion, etc, and that is usually >$1/round. Around here, that is basically true of all rifle calibers they carry except .223. They will often have Federal or Wolf ball ammo .223 for sale for what are reasonable range prices.

I think what Wal-Mart carries, though, varies widely by location.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I'm guessing less than 10 years. The bullets looked more bronze than copper.

China started importing more and more metals, and the prices jumped.

I often wish I could have foreseen the future of ammo prices.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've seen bulk 500 round 7.62x51 American Eagle at Walmart. Sadly it goes for $375, which is too high for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check out Ammoseek.com online.It lists all ammo for sale at online stores ,and for how much, from the cheapest to the most expensive and where to order it.I check it all the time and find great deals.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, some Wally worlds have this stuff in stock.
You may be able to get them to accept a price match & get the price lowered – I suggest trying after you get the ammo home and proof in hand.

That said- short story time. Have several shoots coming up and need a pile of practice ammo.

Went into the local Walmart last week and they had 2 -500 Round boxes of American Eagle 7.62x51mm - 149 gr FMJ XM80CS for $374.99 ea.

I routinely keep tabs on the ammo supply at this store and have never seen these particular boxes on the shelves. Turns out they had been there (according to the zombie putz that I dealt with) for several months behind over priced boxes of 556 on the lower shelf.

I detest Walmart BTW but with the lack of ammo have to get it when or where ever I can find it. Ammo is typically the only thing I buy at Walmart. Hate giving them money..

So I grabbed both boxes and..(actually putz #1 grabbed the ammo) and trucked it to the front- the "buyer" can't touch the quarantined shelved ammo for whatever reason till at the register. I get there and decided the price was steep but I am taking one box for sure.

I get home, do a price check and find an obscure site that sells the same ammo- same picture of the box-in stock for $299.

The bulb lights up in my head- Took a screen shot, printed it- then took a cell picture of the box of ammo.

Returned the next day to the ‘returns counter’ with the receipt. Feigned over priced merchandise or out dated prices and asked will they match it? They looked at the receipt, screen shot (they kept it for proof) and picture on my phone…then Yup. (Grin)

Got cash back so ended up paying $300 ish.

I truck back to the ammo counter and tell putz #2 the story and I want the other box. He in turn mentions lack of knowledge (shocker) and defers it to his manager (putz #3). Turns out this dude is the missing link. Said they cannot match prices on guns (they don’t sell guns at this store) alcohol or ammo because of federal regulations.

This is where the amount of stupidity is so frigging overwhelming I just back away so I don’t catch whatever it is they have and leave.

I go back ready for a redux with a different set of putzs and someone had snagged the over priced ammo. Damit!

Now I now know that, because it is only another brown box to them- it may be hidden anywhere because they have no clue what caliber designations mean..at least in this store.
Keep in mind I have been carded here (I am old as dirt BTW) for 12 ga. shotgun shells then asked if it is for a handgun…and told I have to be over 21 IF it is used in a handgun. Really? Don’t get me started…

Good luck

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy
1 - 20 of 24 Posts