FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my wife and I purchased an FNS 9 not to long ago and absolutely love it. Great for home defense with the night sights and slim grip (with small backstrap). Also very fun to shot at the range. We’re not very interested in carrying this pistol but would love to mod it out, red dot sight, laser light combo. Y’all know of any good brands that would be compatible with this firearm?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Advice for new shooters: buy lots of ammo and practice until you are proficient at hitting your mark using iron sights. Before you attach a light/laser to your pistol rail for home use, practice shooting with it attached to make sure attaching the device does not affect the pistol's operation.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Practicing a lot makes a LOT of sense if you know WHAT and HOW to practice. Otherwise it's likely that you'll be developing habits that will need to corrected later. Practice only makes PERFECT if you know WHAT and HOW to practice and you do it right.

Shoot a little, pick up a book or two on technique. (Brian Enos' "Practical Shooting : Beyond Fundamentals" about $20 on Amazon deals with the fundamentals and then goes a lot farther. Great advice from one of the legendary handgun shooters and competitors.)

Then go to some local IDPA or USPSA matches and OBSERVE. When you're there ask a lot of questions, and find out if there are any instructors in your area who offer individual or small group instruction. If you can hook up with a good instructor, you'll learn more quickly, become more comfortable more quickly, and not develop a lot of bad habits.

I joined with a number of friends from our local IPDA matches and we got with an instructor who has a great reputation. The costs were reasonable and he quickly got us focused on WHAT we needed to do, helped us understood what we were doing wrong, and we were then able to improve on our own in the following months.

You'll probably actually save money over the short term, and get where you want to be much more quickly. You'll be surprised about the little things that you can learn in a single day in a class: how to stand, how to grip the weapon, how to better manage recoil, etc. The most efficient ways to reload, etc. etc.

It can make a big difference!!

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Also any advice for some new shooters?
hello, first off welcome to the forum and you have come to the right place for info on all things FN

from 30+ years of shooting experience most new shooters make the same mistake of putting a lot of mods on new guns before becoming proficient in shooting them. this leads to issues hitting the target and causes some to put it back in the box or sell it.

my best advice is buy ammo and shoot it until its easy for you to hit your target. after a couple thousand rounds (this isn't as much as it sounds like) YOU will have an idea of what mods you would like to make to the pistol without advice from others who don't even own that particular firearm.

think of it like your car. some people leave them stock while others tend to change a few things after driving it for a while.

as for a good light or light laser combo i would look at the StreamLight offerings. they make many different models based on use and price.

Practice before buying a laser. you do not want to rely on a laser for sighting as they can get bumped and knocked off mark easily.

just because the cool kids have it doesn't always make it cool.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I agree with street doctor that doing modifications to a new gun is something that ought to wait for a while, especially if you're also a new shooter.

Then too, if you have problems with the gun -- not likely, but it can happen -- the modifications (or upgraded parts) can complicate getting warranty work done. More importantly, you may run the risk of gilding the lily -- improving something that doesn't need improvement.

I've had a large variety of different guns, over the years, some of which I've upgraded or had upgraded. It took a while before I got to the point where I really knew what would make a gun better for me -- and what's better for me may not be better for you (so that my advice about upgrades would not suit you.)

I've got three FNS guns, and one had some trigger work done before I traded for it, the other two are absolutely stock, and they're both just fine as they are.

If you decide you might need night sights that's about the only thing that could be upgraded in the near future without any downside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts