FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a cheap red dot optics for my scar 16 for hunting temporary. Recently purchased the ps90 and about to buy a 17. Well its draining my wallet. What is your thoughts on this red dot optic on scar 16? I'm going to be mostly hog hunting.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If your hog hunting with a sight mark red dot, best to be in a tree stand! So if your in the tree stand, I would go with the iron sights until you get a quality optic. These types of sights can not be relied upon to hold zero.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sightmark is junk,

For a decent quality red dot on a serious budget look at the Bushnell TRS-25 on a Daniel Defense or Alamo Tactical mount...About $200 for the set. I have one I've been testing for almost a year and it's holding up okay.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sightmark is junk,

For a decent quality red dot on a serious budget look at the Bushnell TRS-25 on a Daniel Defense or Alamo Tactical mount...About $200 for the set. I have one I've been testing for almost a year and it's holding up okay.
This. I would also ask you to look at Primary Arms' Mini-RDS. It's inexpensive, but pretty well made.

With optics, you always get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
If you want a good cheap reddot I would recommend you look into Vortex Strikefire. They go for about $120.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read decent reviews on it that it does hold zero its only temporary. What is the best optics for hog/deer hunting I can save for? Because it was random seeing hogs and deer in the same area. Just last weekend was just a embarrassing blunder first time ever hunting I had my 16. Idk if I got too overly excited in the moment, half ass zeroing my iron sights or not wearing earpro(I know stupid of me) ear is still kinda ringing. Fired like 5 rounds at it 100-150 yards away. I missed or hit it idk it got away. Just want to redeem my self this weekend getting a lot of flak at work because of it lol especially using a scar.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Learn to use irons first. Take a two day Appleseed course and you will be set. Red dots, optics, ect should always come after mastering irons. A "half-ass" zero on any optic will yield the same results at 100 yards.

·
Registered
316 Posts
First, don't let your buddies at work influence your decisions. If you're having trouble with iron sights at those distances a red dot probably isn't the solution it's just a band-aid for a bigger problem. Shooting is a learned skill no one pops out of the womb making 1000yrd shots. Sure it may come more naturally to some but everyone has to learn at their own pace. Save the money you'd spend on a sightmark and buy a box of ammo, go to the range and practice your fundamentals. If your buddies think they're so much better, have some tag along and give you pointers. I'm sure the flack they're giving you is all in good fun, but make them put their money where their mouth is so to speak and everyone will end up better off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not really ethical to be hunting if
A: you aren't comfortable with shooting and your equipment
B: half ass zeroed irons and taking shots above your skill level/range ability
C: hunting as a novice with an underpowered round for deer. Are you using FMJ, HP, SP?

Not really fair to what ever animal you and your buddies are hunting to go out like this. Go out and gutshot a deer with an underpowered .223/5.56 because of half assed zeros, let it gimp off and slowly die. That's the way to make the public respect gun owners/ hunters. Sorry bro, get some range/class time, and find some responsible hunting buddies that can explain some of this to you instead of busting your balls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts