FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have the option, thanks to my LGS, of a Barrett Rec 7, LWRC m6a2, or LMT cqbps 16. They are priced reasonably and within $300 of each other. I realize that I really can't go wrong with either of these rifles and would love all 3, but let's be realistic. This will be my first piston rifle. Looking for some educated thoughts and maybe a few stupid ones too. Oh...and please be kind. This is my 1st post.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Outdoor Forums mobile app

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I would just like to welcome you to the forum. Sorry I can't help you with your question. I have no experience with any of them. I am sure some will be along shorty with helpful information.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Wouldn't you rather just buy a SCAR and avoid the buyer's remorse? :D

Welcome!

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Welcome :) Go with the LWRC, they make a great rifle, too bad it's not the M6 IC which is an awesome rifle. :?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Have an LMT and its my go to 556 rifle. LWRC is a great company and obviously you will be paying a little more if you go that route. If you want a piston the scar 16 is a great option as mentioned above, also consider the HK MR556. I have no experience with Barrett.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's a very hard decision even though I have the M6A2 and love it; you would not be disappointed if you picked that rifle. Does the Barrett have the keymod handguard?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome and comments so far. The SCARS will definitely make it into my FN collection eventually with my FNX 9, FNX 45, and my 5.7 mk2. I was thinking the 17 before the 16. And yes, the Barrett has the keymod rail on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Outdoor Forums mobile app

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
Lwrc, I own that rifle---- it is pristine I have taken it to carbine courses, shot it all day--almost never needs to be cleaned . Has 20k round life span -- there isn't another choice really As far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Why go to a FNH forum to ask questions about three very nice AR-15s. Is it cuz we're the smartest dag-nab opossums on this hear inter web ? Cuz we are ! Do you have any AR's yet ? You mentioned the SCAR 17s , exactly, get that one ! Its not that the vast majority of us have not come from the AR-15 world but we ended up hear. ARs are fine and lots of us still actively buy, build and shoot ARs but I think most of us would dig through 15 ARs to get to our SCARS. Of the three you mentioned, all are high end ARs , that would pretty close get your 17s, that is a instant grin, but if your heart is set then, IMPO Ronnie is way to proud of his stuff, LWRC is great equipment as is LTM, and that's not to say that Barret is not, its just all there stuff is high. Buy a grin, get your 17s , the price will never be better on them. just my .02 !

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
LWRC M6IC is a great AR. I've no experience with the LMT, but their barrel change a low price of it makes it worth looking at. I have the 17, but not the 16. The heavier profile barrels appeal to me. I will get a 16 one day, but it's the barrel profile that's stopped me thus far. But the Scar platform is fantastic.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
LMT makes good stuff.

Get a SCAR though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have the LMT CQB and it's a great piece of engineering. The barrel change is ridiculously easy. I have no experience on LWRC other than handling at shop. I would get the LWRC IC if just adding to collection but like few others said, get a SCAR 16.
Ever since I got mine, my LMT has been collecting dust. LMT is great but the SCAR is much better engineering and extreme pleasure. The 16 is just a bit more $ and from my experience it is completely worth it!

Buy it, shoot it and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Welcome - LMT excellent products ...some of the best BCGs (IMO)

LWRC great short stroke piston upper (I think their niche market and focus is chambered in 6.8 - they enjoy a nice contract providing PSD guns for British SAS) well over built but keep in mind of the weight penalty - if your gonna shlep the thing daily

Barrett - got to try one when one of my US Marshal buddies brought some out .... again when some departments where eyeing 6.8 a few years back

If you have the coin and the $$$$ and can find one - HK 416 or 417 upper

If you want the entire package - an well you are in a FN Forum - FN 16s or 17s...you cant go wrong plenty of factory barrel lengths when you decide to SBR either platform not to mention that they share 80% parts commonality

1 - 20 of 21 Posts