FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody lives there, do you know if mechanics make decent money? By decent I mean enough to survive? Figured if I'm going to be a poor mechanic for the rest of my life I might as we'll be a poor mechanic somewere nice. Any insight would be awesome!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I "wannabe" a poor mechanic in Maui, over on the Wailea side of the island. I always figured out if my first choice of work didn't pan out on the island I could always start a dive shop or deep sea fishing outfit. I say give it a try......Maui is my heaven! Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm seriously thinking about moving. Just need to fin out what the pay is like. I've emailed a couple shops in Hawaii but had some more questions about it. Craigslist is covered up in adds looking for mechanics over there. So as long as the old lady is as cool with it as she says and there gun laws aren't crazy I might be moving

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
there are for certain a few local island guys on this board....keep this thread at the top and maybe they will see it and help you out!

I'm seriously thinking about moving. Just need to fin out what the pay is like. I've emailed a couple shops in Hawaii but had some more questions about it. Craigslist is covered up in adds looking for mechanics over there. So as long as the old lady is as cool with it as she says and there gun laws aren't crazy I might be moving

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
If you decide to go, do yourself a favor and do your home work! My wife and I was there last October for a few weeks and we saw more homeless folks then any state either of us have ever witnessed. Lots of folks spend everything they have with high dreams and relocate only to find the cost of living way over their head rapidly exhausting any savings while leaving them on the streets with no way to fund a return.

Follow your dreams but be diligent about it! :?

·
Registered
508 Posts
You can't own NFA devices, it's very difficult to acquire a carry permit and there are restrictions on handgun magazine capacity.... No thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can't own NFA devices, it's very difficult to acquire a carry permit and there are restrictions on handgun magazine capacity.... No thanks!

This is might be a deal breaker. Not worried about NFA but idk if I couldn't carry my pistol..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you decide to go, do yourself a favor and do your home work! My wife and I was there last October for a few weeks and we saw more homeless folks then any state either of us have ever witnessed. Lots of folks spend everything they have with high dreams and relocate only to find the cost of living way over their head rapidly exhausting any savings while leaving them on the streets with no way to fund a return.

Follow your dreams but be diligent about it! :?
well no savings acount so I should be good. An I'm already broke. Just want to be broke somewere awesome. Don't know anything about Hawaii and you can't find anything online unless your wanting to visit as a tourist.

·
Premium Member
9,528 Posts
I'm not sure if Hawaii is the best place to be broke in. It consistently places in the top 5 (if not the top 1) expensive places to live. My brother in law has lived there for about 15 years (retired USMC). The cost of living is his number one beef. But then again, he has stayed this whole time...so there's a lot to say for the pluses.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I've gathered, yes the cost
of living is high but you also make more money than many states so it equals out. Obviously my current wage would not support a life in Hawaii.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I was stationed there the last few years and as a gun guy I absolutely despised that place. A new rifle purchase would cost so much work time during the week to correctly accomplish all the steps it wasn't even worth it. Every day the line for gun registration would stretch out the door and start to wrap around the building at the police station.

Here were the steps that had to be done with a drive down to traffic choked Honolulu PD.

1. Register to get rifle purchase permit
2. Pick up rifle purchase permit 2-4 weeks later
3. Buy rifle bring it down to be inspected
4. Pick up permit two weeks later
Each with a 2-4 hour wait in line...

Keep in mind this was just for rifle purchase. I never bothered with the headache of handgun purchases, just bought handguns back in GA on visits and brought them back with me.

During my tenure there I "skipped" a few visits to get some of my guns registered, SCAR 17 included, and ended up getting a phone call from HPD asking me about them (FFLs had to report all transactions to the PD). Fortunately I had PCS orders at that point and was glad to tell em to go fly a kite.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn that sucks. I really wanted to hear the opposite. It's no fun being broke in Alabama. I want to struggle on the ocean! This whole poor and 400 miles from not so nice ocean is gay. But I also wouldn't mind comjng back here to visit/buy guns. Thia wouldn't be permanent either. Maybe a year or 2. Just renting some were.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Some of my buddies still there have told me that the only public gun range on Oahu has been shut down for months. Apparently some antigunner hippie that live a few miles from the range keeps finding fired bullets in his yard. The liberal city counsel was quick to shut the range down to conduct a "study"...

A friend said he saw these "found bullets" on an internet posting from the complainant and said that they looked brand new out of the box, no rifling or deformation.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I think P-FACTOR or someone reported on that story here on the forum recently.

Some of my buddies still there have told me that the only public gun range on Oahu has been shut down for months. Apparently some antigunner hippie that live a few miles from the range keeps finding fired bullets in his yard. The liberal city counsel was quick to shut the range down to conduct a "study"...

A friend said he saw these "found bullets" on an internet posting from the complainant and said that they looked brand new out of the box, no rifling or deformation.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Damn that sucks. I really wanted to hear the opposite. It's no fun being broke in Alabama. I want to struggle on the ocean! This whole poor and 400 miles from not so nice ocean is gay. But I also wouldn't mind comjng back here to visit/buy guns. Thia wouldn't be permanent either. Maybe a year or 2. Just renting some were.
If you're broke then you aren't renting there buddy. A one room 400-500 sqft apartment will set you back $1200 and up per month (Same apartment in Waikiki is $2000 and up). I absolutely lucked out and scored a town house with two rooms for $1300 per month. This was in Pearl City/Aiea, no where near the touristy part of Hawaii too.

I've never lived anywhere with as many homeless around either...

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think P-FACTOR or someone reported on that story here on the forum recently.
Yeah, its complete BS. That range literally shoots into the side of a mountain. You can't even super-elevate over the mountain with the calibers allowed there because its a freaking mountain. And yet the bullets that were "found" in that goons yard were pistol caliber.::FF::

·
Registered
508 Posts
I live on the Gulf Coast of Alabama and the Gulf has the most beautiful beaches in the continental US. Maybe you should just move down here and have the ocean along with gun rights and a reasonable cost of living!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts