FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm fairly new to the FiveseveN hand gun and even newer to this forum, so if this has already been covered, sorry I missed it. Anyway a little background on me first, I have mostly been shooting the single action type revolvers for years & years (I really like them) and the light trigger pull gives me very good accuracy, also like single action auto-loaders too. So the FiveseveN Herstal USG is quite different breed, I compare it more to shooting a DA revolver or DA only auto-loader. Now I get to the question, "Is there any smith's out there doing action work on these guns?" Possibly able to convert it to more of a 1911 style trigger, or just a shorter pull? Even better if there's "do it yourself kit" or something. Thanks in advance, LightningMan
PS. I think this would make me a more accurate shooter with this gun.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I've never seen anyone doing trigger work a Five Seven before... If someone came up with smithwork on that - they might have a monopoly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My new FN is perfect lite trigger pull, but not to lite, I would say 5 lbs with no creep or over travel. Much better then my Glock 29 for sure, but then since it is a SA pistol with a hammer and not a striker fired gun like a Glock I does as expect of it for the money invested.

·
Registered
89 Posts
looks like a small very fine file and or wood stick with rubbing compound could polish the trigger area. Giving some better break.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Elite Ammunition (see their subforum or website) occasionally does trigger jobs and chamber lapping on FsN's. They used to do it full time, but now I guess there are some scheduling issues, so they only do it every month or so...

They took care of my Fiveseven for me a couple months ago. I couldnt be happier. I've got a 2 3/4 lbs trigger pull now :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
The BEST trigger work is the one you do yourself without messing with the trigger system. On the Five Seven the trigger mechanism in the frame is very smooth already. It's the plastic piece that gets pushed up during the pull of the trigger in the slide is what gives you the trigger 'feel', and that should get smother and smoother as you fire more and mroe rounds through it.

I should measure the trigger pull on my IOM as it feels lighter than any of my other USG's were and slightly smoother than my buddy's USG which has a lot of rounds on it, even though my IOM only has a few hundred.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We occaisonally do trigger work, chamber lapping, accurizing, and minor modifications on the FiveseveN pistol; unfortunately we're so busy at this point manufacturing ammunition we just can't take the time away from production to do less-to-non profiting gunsmithing work.

We are planning to take in 10 pistols in the first week of next month for accurizing and trigger weight reduction; more information will follow for those who've already asked to be placed on the waiting list for these services.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am not that pleased with the long trigger at this point. It is nice once it breaks but seams too long for my 1911 training. At 25 yards I can shoot a modded Glock better. Thats sad IMO.

Lighter might be better but for me Shorter would be better then short and light as the best. If the time comes I need to know I can shoot without having to focus on trigger pull. Should be point aim pull - stop the attacker. As of now its point aim focus really hard and pull long and slow.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
ryker said:
I am not that pleased with the long trigger at this point. It is nice once it breaks but seams too long for my 1911 training. At 25 yards I can shoot a modded Glock better. Thats sad IMO.

Lighter might be better but for me Shorter would be better then short and light as the best. If the time comes I need to know I can shoot without having to focus on trigger pull. Should be point aim pull - stop the attacker. As of now its point aim focus really hard and pull long and slow.
I carried a .45 on duty for a lot of years and then went to the FsN. Three words make all the difference in the world with this pistol. Practice, practice, practice. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sure pratice is helpfull. I didn't care much for the Glock 22 untill I went to mandate and we were given free ammo. :x

But this is the lowest paying job I have had since leaving the Marines. People at WalMart putting stuff on a shelf make more than I do. So buying ammo to pratice :( :-( :p If I can get some overtime this summer working boat patrol then I can go through 2-3 boxes per month.

That said. I have shot my 1911 less than 200rds in 6 years and I know at anytime without any pratice I can hit what I intend to. Before I attempt to qualify with the anything else and with the desire to score top % I would need at least 1 or 2 pratice rounds. Thats just for the range. If the time should arise and a persons life depended on my pistol and my marksmanship with that pistol... I won't have time to ask for pratice rounds. Or course this is at 25yards or more. At 15yards I can shoot better than most.

Not talking bad about the fiveseven. I prefer the 1911 even over my USP expert 40, USP tatical 45, and every other pistol I have shoot other than target rimfires.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
Fair enough. The point being that not only would you get better with the pistol with practice but the trigger pull will improve with use. It does get a lot smoother over time and use. I should have expalined a little better.

·
Banned
82 Posts
If you have some high quality gun oil, motor oil, or lube (i like to use 10w30) like Hoppes gun oil, MPro-7, etc...you can put a dab of it on the hammer/sear contact point. It won't work miracles, and its no trigger job in a bottle...but you will see some improvement.

Removing the mag safety is another option (and you can easily do this yourself). It definately has a positive effect on the trigger pull. But it will void your warranty, so you'd need to take that into consideration. I've had no regrets. I guess you could polish the area where the mag safety bar contacts the slide w/o voiding the warranty...but removing it all together would be better.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
Grantness said:
Removing the mag safety is another option (and you can easily do this yourself). It definately has a positive effect on the trigger pull. But it will void your warranty, so you'd need to take that into consideration. I've had no regrets. I guess you could polish the area where the mag safety bar contacts the slide w/o voiding the warranty...but removing it all together would be better.
Mine never had a mag safety. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts