FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my brother over tonight to show him my FN PS90, and he gave it a thumbs up, but he, along with a lot of people I talk to in passing, thinks the 5.7 round is underpowered and that's the main thing holding him back from buying one.. Of course I let him know about the custom ammo manufactuers that are available, but I don't think it changed his mind.

I was showing him my stash of ammo when he commented on how many "off calibers" I own, most of them guns he would not care to own just because of the availability of the ammo. I explained that as long as you plan ahead and don't need ammo immediately, I have found it pretty easily. I guess some people are scared that they round will go out of production, or they're unhappy if they can't buy a box of it while they're at Wal-Mart.. to me, each caliber I bought has a specific purpose and I like each gun..

My first one was a Glock 38, which is a mid-size Glock chambered in .45 GAP. I've always loved the .45 round, and I love to shoot my Para P-13 limited as much as I can, but I've always been a Glock fanatic.. but HATE the full sized thick framed Glock .45, so I always stayed away from it. The Glock GAP guns were meant to fill this category and offer the full powered .45 ACP round in a smaller frame. I got a great deal on my G38 with night sights, and from the first trip to the range it became my favorite Glock to shoot. It's now my home defense gun, and I have a bunch to choose from.

Next I was looking for a gun to carry while hiking in the mountains, whether it be in North Carolina or anywhere in the U.S.- I do a lot of "extreme" hiking and wanted a powerful enough gun to give me a chance against a black bear or whatever else might attack. I choose a Glock 29 in 10mm, loaded with Double Tap high powered loads. Great hiking gun that packs a punch close to a .41 Mag load, and I've also found this to be a fun gun to shoot.

Last is the FN PS90 in 5.7, I don't need to go into that round here but I've always wanted a PS90 and thought they were interesting so I bought it to fill that void alone!! :lol:

I guess I could have more "off calibers", but between .45GAP, 10MM, and now 5.7, some of my friends think I'm crazy... I have plenty of "normal" calibers and sometimes I find them to be quite "boring", and it's nice to have a variety.. espeically if it fills a need.

What do you guys have?

Here's a pic of my ammo that spawned my brothers comment.... I bought all the UMC 10mm from a dealer on closeout a few years ago for $7 a box :cool:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Looks like you need more of a varity of 5.7x28 ammo but Looks like you have a decent amount from the pic :? .45 gap I'm not fond of personally. I'll stick with good ol' .45acp :shock: Different strokes for different folks :cool:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Hey - if u like the rounds, and you haev enough of it on hand - then you are good to go if the marfket dried up a bit.

Heck, I stocked up on 9 and 45 ACP recently, andf I am glad I did. All 3 wal-marts by me have been sold out of ALL the 9mm and 45 ACP since Christmas. So, no matter what the round, popular or not, you should have some on hand. You probably need to increase your supply if you want to keep those guns long term.

Don't worry about what anyone else says...

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I like the 10mm but I have yet to try one which is why I don't have one.
I hear its a bit snappy.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Not really, other than the 5.7 and 260.

380 Auto
9mm Luger
357mag
38spl
40S&W
45acp

22lr
5.7x28
5.56x45
260 Remingtom
30 Cal Carbine
7.62x39
7.62x51
7.62x54

I think that's all of them.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
After I got my new 45 ACP carry gun, I contemplated getting a 10mm. Then I looked at ammo prices online - and I gave up that thought. Plus, I've read many places that ya have to handload to take advantage of the 10mm anyway

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ShipWreck said:
After I got my new 45 ACP carry gun, I contemplated getting a 10mm. Then I looked at ammo prices online - and I gave up that thought. Plus, I've read many places that ya have to handload to take advantage of the 10mm anyway
10mm is like the 5.7 round, really underpowered by most of the ammo manufactuers nowdays, but there are reputable companies that prodcue full 10mm loads, most notably Buffalo Bore and Double Tap- Both companies take full advantage of the powerful 10mm round and produce a high quality, reliable round. You can get .41 Magnum power out of a properly loaded 10mm round, great for when you need a little extra punch when potentially dealing with bigger game.

The 10mm does have a snap to it, but it is still very controllable, more so than most of the .357 mag revolvers I've shot. I guess there's no way around the snap if you want the extra power, but it's worth it!! :D The UMC rounds that I have pictured above are like most 10mm commercial rounds, underpowered from the factory to about .40 S&W speeds. The UMC rounds are great for what I paid for them and the brass is somewhat rare also.

I guess the only modern "unpopular" caliber I don't have right now is the .357 sig! No, I don't have any use for it and don't want another difficult to find round, thank you very much!!

Oh, and as far as stashing ammo, this is only a picture of my "unpopular" calibers..... I have a huge stash in another room of 5.56 (over 4K rounds of xm193 and Q3131) 9mm, .40s&w, and .45acp. All of which I have more rounds than pictured here.

I have also seen that Wal-mart has been sold out of the 100 rd value packs almost on a regular basis, at prices I could have never imagined a year or two ago..

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
For me I have a several boxes of original Black Talon in 10mm but no gun to shoot it yet, At the time i was looking at a Delta Elite.

Other than the 5.7 the only other is shotgun rounds for my Mag-7M1, If I ever get into shotshell reloading maybe I can produce some.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Strange ones?

9mm Largo
.22 Remington Jet
7.62X45
10mm
I guess .357Sig has become that now, Its my every day carry weapon.
Sadly now .30 mauser is hard as hell to find.. I wish I had saved my brass.

I dont put 5.7X28 in that, Bass pro even sells it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
blkbd said:
For me I have a several boxes of original Black Talon in 10mm but no gun to shoot it yet, At the time i was looking at a Delta Elite.

Other than the 5.7 the only other is shotgun rounds for my Mag-7M1, If I ever get into shotshell reloading maybe I can produce some.
Would you be interested in trading 1 box of the 10mm black talons for 1 box of 9mm black talons? I have some mint in box 9mm for my ammo collection, and 1 box of .357, .45acp. Just asking, I'd love to have a box for my collection and would trade even up, perhaps even pay for shipping or whatever... I have some other Ranger ammo (new manufacture), also, that I would be willing to trade

and No, I don't have a facination with the round, only have them in my collection.. I do, however, like the Winchester Ranger round that took it's place for self defense and load my .40s&W and .45 GAP with new Ranger that I can get from a friend....

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Sorry ColtM4a3 I would like to hang onto to the few boxes I have as I also have couple boxes of 9mm, I like to keep one box for home defense and personal protection and the others for collecting. If anything should change and need some cash or what ever you have first dibs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem. I'm not sure if I'd use 15 year ammo for potential home defense, but I'm sure it's ok. But I'm always a little on the "paranoid side" :-D

·
Registered
475 Posts
my only odd round is the 5.7x28mm, but like shipwreck said even a popular caliber will be hard to find in a situation.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Everything I have is pretty standard. The one I have the hardest time finding surplus for is .303 British. It shows up every once and a while. But I think I have enough to last a while to. The action on my Enfield makes it one of my favorite old bolt guns.

7.62x25 is another odd one I have, but I have a bit of that too.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I too have the Glock 38 in 45GAP.

Have about 400rounds of self-defense ammo (Federal HST and Speer Gold-dots) so that'll last me a while. Just finished my last box of speer Lawman TMJ 45GAP for the range, so I have to order more.

Ammoman.com has the best price for 45gap right now.
American Eagle 185gr FMJ 1K for $350 shipped.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
9x18 makarov, not that uncommon, but not that common either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts