FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love NFA items. Especially SBR's and Suppressors. With the whole "Trust" thing I went crazy buying silencers and SBRing any rifle I could. So I would guess I have probably 10 plus items waiting approval. Some waiting approval well over the 9 month mark and some possibly over 11 months. To be honest I would have to look in my safe for the paper work so see exactly how many and how long.......Ok here is the craziest thing to ever happen. About 2-3 months ago I sent a form 1 in and messed up on question 4d(Model) I put "HK USC" not "USC". So the form was kicked back to me a week and a half ago. I called to see if I could reprint it with the corrected information instead of crossing out the HK and initialing it. The lady at the NFA said that would be fine and said just send the corrected form to the Martinsburg WV address with a special suite....I think it was NFA#9. Ok here's were it gets weird yesterday I got the FORM 1 back with a STAMP. It was completed. It was to good to be true so I called ATF this morning and verified the serial is approved NFA item. It almost seems like because I messed up the form I got rewarded. Has anyone else had a similar experience??? As a disclaimer I am not advocating messing up your form on purpose to get it back sooner. It's just so strange that I have to ask if anyone else had something similar happen. Especially since I have forms I sent in like a year ago that haven't been completed.

PS: None of the paperwork was e-form, plain old paper and snail mail.

·
Registered
841 Posts
What normally happens is, as you've experienced, the ATF gives you the opportunity to correct a mistake, and they don't put you at the back of the line when you make a mistake -- you jump back to the front (or near-front) of the line for re-processing to fix the mistake.

I guess what i"m saying -- no reason to think that if you hadn't put the wrong thing, your stamp would have been approved when they first reached out to you with the problem.... as opposed to thinking that the mistake sped up your processing.

I can definitely say wait times are dramatically picking up.

Are any of your older applications Form 1's? Any chance this was your oldest Form1... and the others are Form 4's? The wait times are definitely different per form type.

If you have older Form1's -- you got me. But never cease to be surprised when it comes to ATF approvals :-D

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Your mistake didn't speed up the process. If you had done it correctly, you would not have delayed it, the amount of time it took you to correct it, and get it to them.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I forgot to send a copy of my LTC when I did mine once. I was able to send a photo copy in e-mail. Was approved the day I did that.

Reactions: Facta Non Verba

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just curious, why did you need to send in a copy of your LTC? Only asking because I just filled out my form 1 and was all set to send it out...this is the first time I have heard anyone say the needed to send that as well and I certainly dont want to be missing anything :-|

1 - 7 of 7 Posts