FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the fns long slide and love it. I really wish they would come up with a 5 inch barrel for the fnx. I feel like an odd ball. I'm one of the few people it seems like who wonders who in tarnation ever came up with 4 inch barrels being the norm. 1911's...5 inch barrel...beretta 92 series, even sig at least has 4.4 inches. They are just more practical, not to mention better looking I dare say. Shot Show is in 4 days. I'm still trying to pull off getting in...I have this dream...FN surprises everyone with it's announcement of the fnx long slide. Not gonna happen I know...but I hear an HK Expert pistol with a 5 inch barrel calling my name ! I like FN, but hey, the HK Expert seems to be the only 5 inch polymer gun I can think of, not to mention...it's HK. If my dream announcement doesn't come out of shot show, it looks like 1200.00 for a pistol lol.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I'd be surprised if they did. The FNS-L is more geared towards competition and striker fired guns seem to be what people like for that vs. a DA/SA gun.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you're right. I'm in Nevada. A lot of our cops have switched from glock 17 and 22's to the longer barreled glock 34 and 35's. Our military has never used anything under 5 inch barrels. I conceal carry full 5 inch barrels in winter, and whenever possible in summer. I'm in the minority for sure. More velocity, and longer sight radius. Neither really matter that much I guess in close quarter shooting I guess. I just prefer the longer barrel. Something about a grip handle being longer than the barrel just looks weird to me, like there's a balance out of wack or something. Again, there's no real difference for practical purposes, the longer barrel is just my preference. I find the grip handle harder to deal with carrying concealed more than I do the barrel length. But it's really a personal preference and an individual decision. But currently, five inch barreled polymer market is slim. I see room for a manufacturer to make some money here. The HK Expert is geared towards competition, but I believe is a fine duty pistol or combat gun.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It may happen if the market for FNH pistols is large enough to demand it and FNH-USA has the production capacity but only time will tell. I will have to trade my FNX-9 SS for a FNS-9L SS until that happens if it ever does.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm with you on that. I would like to see an FNX-9L. Something about hammers. That being said striker fire seems to be the most popular competition gun out there in IDPA from my limited experience.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
A compact FNX would be nice.

My only gun with a barrel less than 4" is my SIG P938, which is mainly my summer carry/potential ankle/deep carry gun. If it had a longer barrel, it wouldn't work for that. My FNP 9 is 4", but that was all that was offered. It would probably look better with another 1/2".

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh one day the long slide will come out, and I believe we'll also see compact versions of the fns AND fnx. I believe the demand will call for both. Or so I hope. I've been looking hard, very hard for two items in which I'll click the buy now button on. If anyone sees an FNS long slide in .40 in all black WITH the manual safety I'd appreciate a heads up. Ive got it inn .40 stainless slide without the safety. If I get the all black with safety I've got a good variety yes. Also, a big one here. The HK Expert in .40 cal. Ive seen them before online, but I'm only finding 9mm's now. I know it's the FN forum, and I hate to tout HK, but that seems to be one fine pistol. I got to hold the 9mm and loved it. I'm an odd ball being a .40 fan I know. But it's what I shoot and feel safe with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It may happen if the market for FNH pistols is large enough to demand it and FNH-USA has the production capacity but only time will tell. I will have to trade my FNX-9 SS for a FNS-9L SS until that happens if it ever does.
The reason those are better is because of the damn safety lever, they put it right in the way of your thumb on the FNX. I used to want an FNX long slide but if they can't improve the safety then I want nothing of the sort, I'll just save up and get an STI. You simply cannot grip the thing properly, you have to do something funky like tuck one thumb under the other or stick one thumb out to the side. Two thumbs forward while being on the grip is impossible. The FNS-L with no safety lets you do this even though the rest of the grip is the same. It's a bad design in my opinion.

I didn't think this when I was only shooting the FNX, but once I learned how to run my Glock 35, I can literally run circles around the FNX now. The Glock is better. The FNS-L is the closest thing they could get. Had they designed the FNX after STI 2011's, I'd still love it, but they didn't.

Even if the safety was in the right spot, it's somewhat hard and less than obvious in a competition environment. It is short and doesn't move very much. When dumping it in a bucket in a 3-gun competition you feel the need to double check it and stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts