FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one anxiously awaiting the HK45?

I've decided to leave my PS90 as my only rifle. Only one I am interested in.

Can't wait for the HK45 to come out, though. Unless I see something that grabs my fancy at the gun show later this month, I think I'm saving the bucks for the HK45, whenever it gets released....

·
Registered
114 Posts
sure looks interesting when it gets out. i've been considering a USP (in .45ACP) lately anyway. i'll wait for it to be released and see how they compare.

thought there's a passage in an article i read that said "This pistol is unique to the US market. The .45ACP pistol won't sell anywhere in the world but the USA." i hope they simply mean as military sidearms (mostly due to NATO standards in the first place)?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truthfully, the market for 45 ACP really isn't that big outside of the USA.

That's why Walther won't make a 45 version of their P99, unfortunately.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am waiting to see one in person before buying. A local friend of mine and a HK nut is getting one. When it comes out, I will post a range report. I am also looking at the new SIG 45 as well. I just want something besides a 1911 that I can trust to work, and doesn't cost so darn much.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I amn waiting for the compact version. I would like to see how it compares to my G36.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm waiting for the HK45 as well. I'm curious about its new trimmer grip. The problem I have with the USP in .45 ACP is that it does not fit my hand comfortably. The USP felt a little blocky to me and that's why I never bought one...

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BreakerDave said:
I'm waiting for the HK45 as well. I'm curious about its new trimmer grip. The problem I have with the USP in .45 ACP is that it does not fit my hand comfortably. The USP felt a little blocky to me and that's why I never bought one...
Yes, I had a fullsize 9mm USP and sold it because it was a bit too big for my hands (of course - look at me now - I have a Five Seven now :lol: ). Anyway, yea, I am hoping the grip is better.

The compact USP has a thinner grip - the magwell can be thinner because the mags are metal, unlike the fullsize USP 9mm I had before (with polymer mags).

If they had a fullsize USP with the thinner grip of the compact, I might get another.

But anyway, I hope I like the HK45 grip. And, maybe when I meet up with ya Iraq Ninja, I can meet that guy. I've been hoping to try a P2000 before buying one - to see if its different enough from my USpc to justify the cost.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Am I the only one anxiously awaiting the HK45?

I've decided to leave my PS90 as my only rifle. Only one I am interested in.

Can't wait for the HK45 to come out, though. Unless I see something that grabs my fancy at the gun show later this month, I think I'm saving the bucks for the HK45, whenever it gets released....

Yep, I have no interest at all in anyway for any new HK.
I was much more worked up over the FNP45

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read another magazine review today - a newer one than the one from 1-2 months ago... I can't wait...

I want one 45 again - and I've had my fill of 1911s.

This one has my attention...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Im on for 2 of them after the prices cool down. In the mean time, Steve Morrison is building me a custom Colt 1911 with a stainless steel top end on a hard chrome frame.

This is the Compact version for small hands/CCW

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had several 1911s... After I bought the last one - an expensive one too - a A Springfield TRP - I just wasn't happy with it.

It wasn't as accurate as other 1911s I have owned. I could shoot it all around the edges of the bullseye, but NEVER in the center. Then, after Tripp screwed up the finish, and I got rid of it, I've given up on 1911s for now... Especially when my P99 shoots so well for me.

Also, as anal as I am on the finish of my guns, the polymer framed guns can take more abuse and not show scratches like metal guns can. I used to not care for polymer framed handguns much, but now, all of my guns are polymer except for my Buckmark (I guess I should have gotten a Neos, huh :-D )

And, I think my next 45 will be an HK.

I've had some sort of issue with every 1911 I've prev owned (I've had 5 total). Some major, some minor. I give up....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I think it's interesting that when some talk about the pro's and con's of .45 acp pistols they always compare them to 1911's. This HK45 is based on Mr Browning 1911. Thats a fact. This one kind of reminds me of three current pistols put together to make it, but all in all based on the 1911.

Yes, I really like the 1911. So yes, I like this pistol also.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I dont buy clone 1911's, Colt owns the 1911. Most pistol smiths that build high end 1911's will say right up front, the Colt lock work can be used if the customer wants to go that route, where a cloned 1911 needs the lock work replaced because its too soft/not high quality. Makes a person wonder, if the lock work quality is not on par with a Colt...what about the rest of the pistol?

Cant blame them, these pistol smiths have a reputation riding on every custom pistol that goes out the door.

Every modern auto pistol uses design features derived from the Browning designed 1911, its the grand father of all modern auto pistols...its a fact.

The HK45 looks like a winner to me! :p

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not a big Colt fan, sorry - I looked at buying a Colt 1911 a couple of years ago. And the 3 or 4 specimens I looked at had sloppy work and crappy triggers. I wasn't impressed.

But, I'm not trying to get into a discussion about 1911s... My only point is that I've decided to get a 45 that isn't a 1911 for a change...

I am not sure how the recoil of an HK will compare to a 1911, however - as those have steel frames. Since U have 45 USPs, maybe U can tell me. How does it compare recoil-wise to a steel 1911?

·
Registered
120 Posts
USP .45 is the softest shooting .45 I eve shot, I shot most of them over the years. Compared to a Colt 1911, the USP .45 is definitely softer...but the Colt does not recoil that bad either, I think .45acp is a great round for how big it is over what kind of recoil it delivers.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, thanks for the info...

I read some more reviews of the Fiber Optics that HK uses - some people complained that the front sight doesn't line up with the rear sight as well as some people like...

If the adj sights had dots, I'd get a Tac or ELite model, I think... I don't wanna spend another $100 for mepros after such an expensive gun...

Anyway... Still gotta decide between the regular 45 USp or the Hk45 :p :p

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I've alway found the trade off in favor of the 1911's favor. Meaning that everyone WANT's a light pistol to make it easier to carry, and they WANT it to fire a cannon round with low recoil.

My Colt 45's weight around 39 oz.

A Glock 21 that I Had and this new HK45 weight in at around 27oz.
Now I can't speak for this new HK45 but the Glock 21 had a healthy kick which caused me to use lighter loads.

physic's is physic's either a beafy weapon will take up the recoil or your arm will.

I will admit that like many Military Men the 1911 was the first weapon I was taught and carried. So I have a personal fondness for Colt 1911's. Being a corpsman I got to see the results of those that were on the recieving end and seeing some of the rounds removed that were damn near pancaked out to 75 cal really tore up the internal organs.

I like the looks and operating controls on this HK45 but like the wife says about my physique "You look a little scrimpy for the load your carrying" Heh

·
Registered
227 Posts
Devil,

I hear ya! The Colt I carried by in 1980 was a standard Army issue, must have been old as sin. But it worked well. Damn well. I have owned a Colt Commander and a Gold Cup. They worked fine. I don't want one of these custom 1911s because they are normally too expensive and even then may have issues. I don't like the Glock 45 due to the bulk and grip.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts