FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else here interested in a new version of the FNP-9 &/or 40 with a longer barrel and slide than the current 4" barrel? Maybe 4.5" or 5"?

I'm specifically thinking of it as a carry/home defense gun, but that extra weight out front and the resulting faster recovery between shots would be useful for competition also.

I know that some folks view a 5" barrel as too long for carry, but I'm used to a 5" hi cap 1911 as my IWB carry gun.

Thoughts, anyone?

·
Registered
80 Posts
For competition shooting a 5" barrel would be nice. Something like the Sig X5. Being able to put 2" groupings at 50 yards would be fun. :D I think the 4" barrel is fine for home defense and can be fun at the range at the same time. I don't see a need for anything between 4 and 5 personally. To me a 4" barrel is already to big for conceal and carry unless it is a exposed duty gun. You can't beat a nice little wheel gun for cc.
The FNP9M is not much different than the full size 9 and have wondered why FNH didn't go to a sub compact like the HK P2000SK instead.
I am sure as this line of handgun catches on we will see more options coming our way. Some nice wood grips with two tone finishes much like you see Sig coming out with would be nice. But then we will see prices go up as well. So maybe we should be carefull what we wish for. I am already thinking of buying the FNP40 while I can still get one under $400.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan,

Thanks. You're right about the FNP-45 but I am primarily interested in the 9mm/.40 S&W frame size.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not really. I see it more as a rugged combat/service pistol more than a competition pistol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No....I like the length as is, because I carry it quite often....usually switching back and forth with the Glock 19....they both carry well and a longer barrel would not be conducive to IWB carry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts