FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Scar17 with an 3.5x Acog on top. Works fine - love it. I have it in a Larue QD mount also.

Yet, for hunting or longer distance shots i figured it would be nice to be able to swap the acog out for a higher powered scope.

Figured as long as the other scope is in a Larue QD mount as well, this should be fairly painless and POI should be repeatable - Am I missing something?

Has anyone else tried this type of setup? Does it work or does it fail.

Other option is just buying a bolt gun of course, but figured my scar should be more accurate than I'll ever be

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't have multiple optics, but I do have a Trijicon VCOG on my SCAR 17S, and as it has variable power, it is an excellent option for a wide variety of ranges. A bit expensive, but less expensive than buying a separate bolt gun.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have great repeat to zero with my Mark 6 IMS mounts and run everything from a Mark 6 1-6x24, to a CQBSS 1.1-8x24, to a Mark 6 3-18x44 and even a Delta Point riding on the side at the 11 O'clock spot. (didn't have all that good of luck with the repeat to zero with the "L" QR mount you speak of since each time you take it off you notice it's taking a little more aluminum with it at the lever locking points.)

Auto part Vehicle

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Yes but I keep both of mine on the 17 and 16. Because I don't want to get caught with my pants down if I need a little more flexibility in my magnification range. Similar to the DAGR setup above except a different placement of the red dot. I can also tell you that the POI is repeatable with ADM mounts as that is what I have on both rifles.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
The MK6 for certain. The only reason the 16 doesn't have a MK6 on it is because I don't want to drop the $$$$... The trij is still an awesome optic and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. As a matter of fact when I buy a bolt gun it will be outfitted with a Trij. It did a hell of a job on the 17 while it was on there too. Can't go wrong with either of these optics Sld.

Reactions: sldcountry

·
Registered
677 Posts
My idea of multiple optics would be to run something like a Nightforce 2.5-10 and an Aimpoint on a LaRue offset mount. Run the Nightforce on 2.5 and it will be very ACOG like (but with better eye relief and eyebox) and 10x for precision shots & ranging and you still just need to quickly cant the gun if you need true 1x for a CQC Situation.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a Scar17 with an 3.5x Acog on top. Works fine - love it. I have it in a Larue QD mount also.

Yet, for hunting or longer distance shots i figured it would be nice to be able to swap the acog out for a higher powered scope.

Figured as long as the other scope is in a Larue QD mount as well, this should be fairly painless and POI should be repeatable - Am I missing something?

Has anyone else tried this type of setup? Does it work or does it fail.

Other option is just buying a bolt gun of course, but figured my scar should be more accurate than I'll ever be
i have 4 optics i use on a regular basis on my scar17 plus magpul mbus sights. acog, trijicon tr24g, nightforce moar 2.5-10x32, nightforce benchrest 12-42x56. just depends on what i want to do when the scar comes out. my scar17 is submoa with handloads. i do not shoot factory ammo so i have no idea what accuracy potential is with shelf ammo.

i use adm qd mounts on these optics as they go from gun to gun. i am no fan of larue mounts as i dont like their camming design that digs into the rail.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I use to before finally settling down and just mounting my NF. I ran a Trijicon TriPower, now on my wifes SCAR, and then one of many different magnified optics. The NF 2.5-10x is now mounted and stays there. I've got other rifles setup for short range so I'm covered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.