Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

I own two of them, a green tactical and a black with optic. I've looked at the manual to clean it before I fire either of them, but I'm not that good at basic pictures and figuring something out thats new to me I haven't done before.

I'm hoping someone has a photo op of the takedown for dummies like me. I understand they are fairly easy from reading this forums reviews and posts of them, now can someone give me a link or provide a dummy with a visual set of pics of the takedown and where to clean/lube grease these neat rifles?

I want to shoot the tactical but I'm not going to touch either of them without some help.

Thanks in advance

Brownie

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here are some I did with the help of a friend on the gas system:

1. turn gas regulator counterclockwise to the weak ammo position (manual incorrectly tells you to turn it clockwise:

2. Use gas scraper to push down detent:

3. While depressing detent, turn gas regulator as far as it will go counterclockwise.

4. You can now pull off the gas regulator:

5. The next part is kinda odd. Put the gas scraper tool into the slide rod housing.

You must have removed the gas regulator before you attempt this.

6. Here is a shot of it further in.

7. now put the whole bolt and bolt carrier assembly in with the slide rod as though you are reassembling the gun.

8. When you reassemble the gun with the tool in the tube, the gas piston should pop out. In the picture I have pulled it almost all the way out. In reality, it only comes out a little.

Be sure to remove the gas scraper tool from the tube when you are reassembling it for good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for showing us that. The manual shows nothing as far as I am concerned and my weak eyes makes matters worse. When I was attempting to dismantle the gas system, I broke the OREA tool. Hope that Bob Ailes can get me another one when I call him.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well I just field stripped one of my FS2000s for the first time and had not seen this update. However, after cursing a zillion times I did get it field stripped, lubed and reassembled.

The pictures in the manual leave a lot to be desired. Worse thing was putting that "switch" back on.....man that spring is strong to push down far enough. I couldn't tell how the part went back on so I tool my other FS2000 apart so I could see how it was suppose to look/fit....thank goodness for the other FS2000 or I'd still be trying to get that piece back on. :oops:

I did make sure those three "notches" were staggered....and I didn't have any left over parts....and the rifle cocked and fired....so I'm hoping it will be OK at the range.

Now that I've done it I think I'm OK....... :roll:

Thanks for the take-down pictures.

·
Registered
408 Posts
QB, not that you'll need it going forward, but for everyone else... there's a marking on the white plastic "switch" or lifter that shows which direction it is supposed to be facing. Yet another reason to own a digital camera.. take a few snaps as you are dissassembling a weapon, just in case you need a reference and you don't have a spare rifle sitting around.

Zhur

·
Registered
459 Posts
You know, I did notice that arrow (after the fact). I have taken pictures before but was just being LAZY last night!!!! At one point I do recall thinking that I "should have taken pictures".

But now that you mention it, I think I'll break down my other FS2000 tonight and indeed take pictures........you've INSPIRED ME to do so!!! :-D

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Fantastic post! Do the WHOLE field strip and send to FN!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the pics and details, now if only someone could post a step by step from the beginning to end and then back together with particular earea to clean, lube etc, I'd be able to go shoot this puppy.

Brownie

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did not find it difficult. Not easy, but not difficult.

Push big "button" (Make sure you cocked the bolt prior, you need the hammer down/cocked to remove parts later.)
Remove upper like a big automatic pistol slide. (It slides off the body of the rifle forward, like a big pistol.)
Remove bolt/guide rod. (Just pull it out of the body.)
Slip off rubber butt plate. (One end pulls up, then the whole thing slips off, watch out, the hammer/sear will just fall out.)
Remove hammer/sear group.
Use fingernail, or other tool to press detent on gas port selector, turn it and remove it.
Use special tool drop it down the hole in the upper where the guide rod goes.. use guide rod to gently tap it in if needed, and it pops the piston right out.
To take down the bolt, it's easy, just pull up on the little catch that holds the firing pin in place, it pops out, so don't let it fly off and get lost. (Or hit you in the eye.. you'll shoot your eye out!)
Clean to your hearts content. (Laugh as you get the lugs and barrel cleaner than any AR ever has been cleaned in 1/10th the time..)
Oil as shown in the directions from FNH.
Assemble making sure the piston rings are not over each other, and it's good to go again.

BTW, I can field clean the rifle without pulling the switch, you just have to take your time and use a small cotton cloth to clean the bolt around the switch. (It can be slid out of the way, and then let back into place with minimal fuss.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.