FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at picking up a bolt gun... Initially I was going to go with the A5M XP, but more recently I've been eyeing the SRS A1. They are a bit pricey, but I'm a fan of having a 22" or 26" barreled gun that's shorter or as short as a 20" SPR. Accuracy seems to be good and you also have the ability to change calibers... Anyone own one? Any input positive or otherwise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
TAL linked a video for these a while back. The guy in the video was shooting steel at 1500 yards with one (forget the caliber). That price tag though! Then you have to get a piece of glass for it that the rifle deserves which will run another 1.5K to who knows. Not that it's required by law or anything :-D but why spend 4.5K on a rifle and stick sub par glass on it?

Hell if you have the coin I'd say go for it! I certainly haven't stumbled upon any negative reviews of the system in the research that I have done.

Reactions: 00stormbringer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was trying to put up some pictures of mine for you, but it wont let me, it says they're too big. Anyway, they are great rifles and I would highly recommend them to anyone I have a od green srs .300 win mag w/ 26" barrel.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm actually looking at getting an OD/OD maybe in 6.5 and 308. Normally I wouldn't drop that much but I sold one of my 17's and a few other things so I won't have to come out of pocket for anything. I would probably swap my NF from my other 17 for the time being and put a RDS on the 17. I was dead set on the SPR but then I started thinking about having the ability to change calibers and having a longer barrel in a more compact package. Who did you order yours from Bear?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
My next firearm purchase will be the SRS-A1... haven't decided if I'm getting the Covert or Standard yet. The covert would start life as a .300WM, the Standard would be a .338LM. I got the opportunity to run some rounds (approx 15-20 rds each) and both rifles were phenomenal! The Rem 700 will go away as soon as a Desert Tech rifle is in the safe... keeping the A5M XP just because I LOVE that rifle! I don't think you can go wrong with any DT SRS rifle DAWGfan1980... they ooze QUALITY!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered a SRS A1 ODG/ODG 26", I had to get .260 Rem. I wasn't crazy about the .260 but it was the only barrel combination the dealer had in stock where I could still order the color combo I wanted. I will probably order another barrel kit down the road... I'll post pics next week!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the SRS A1 in .308. It's an awesome rifle. It takes a little getting to used to as it's a bullpup config, but it is my favorite bolt gun. Very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Great trigger, fairly lightweight and even suppressed is still shorter than most long guns. With my Specwar it's very quiet and with subs it's freakishly quiet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ive got a SRS A1 Covert with the 16" 308 barrel. Im still waiting to get my can out of can jail though... , I LOVE IT, Im having SAC make me a 27" Bartlein Barrelin 6.5 CM atm.
20150515_111536_resized.jpg Barrel breakin.jpg 5 30 2015 4small.jpg

Next weekend Im heading out to a 3000 yard range to see exactly where the 16" 308 drops off.

As to The Standard vs Covert model... you can use All the SRS length barrels in the covert but you cant put the covert barrels in the standard SRS A1. That was the deciding factor for me.

Todays groupings 20150620_182354_resized.jpg 20150620_182417_resized.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Funny thing, Im cronoing 2600 FPS out of this 16" barrel with 178s. I fully expect to at least hold moa out to 900.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 F1 or Nightforce B.E.A.S.T. 5-25x56 F1? The BEAST costs a bit more and the elevation turret is a bit tall with the brake. The ATACR is pretty much the same thing lower profile... but instead of a lock on the windage it has a cap...
unnamed-32.jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 F1 or Nightforce B.E.A.S.T. 5-25x56 F1? The BEAST costs a bit more and the elevation turret is a bit tall with the brake. The ATACR is pretty much the same thing lower profile... but instead of a lock on the windage it has a cap...
Congrats on the new rifle. I really want one of these but not sure I can justify it. Where did you end up ordering from?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've been wanting one of these since they were announced. I just don't know if I can justify the price tag over getting something from Georgia Precision (I've also been lusting after one of those). But I truly love the idea of the compact rifle that the covert can provide.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Congrats, it looks awesome and I'm sure it will shoot equally impressive :? , but not for me with the dreaded left hand curse. I have been wanting to build, buy a L.H. long range bolt gun with no luck to this point. :cry: . The Nightforce B.E.A.S.T. from what I have researched seems to be a great option, it is supposed to have a very forgiving eye box that seems to always come into play with higher magnification. It seems to get the thumbs up from the guys with hands on, on the S.H. , but I'm sure their both great optics. They sure should be, $$$. Best of luck with your decision. Be sure to post up a range report when you get to it and let us know how the pew,pew,pew goes !

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been wanting one of these since they were announced. I just don't know if I can justify the price tag over getting something from Georgia Precision (I've also been lusting after one of those). But I truly love the idea of the compact rifle that the covert can provide.
The GA guns are nice... That was also an option... My agency's tactical team has a few of the GAP 10 semi guns and they seem to like them. I looked at a few of their bolt gun offering but I decided on the DT based on the compact size while maintaining a 26" barrel.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Congrats, it looks awesome and I'm sure it will shoot equally impressive :? , but not for me with the dreaded left hand curse. I have been wanting to build, buy a L.H. long range bolt gun with no luck to this point. :cry: . The Nightforce B.E.A.S.T. from what I have researched seems to be a great option, it is supposed to have a very forgiving eye box that seems to always come into play with higher magnification. It seems to get the thumbs up from the guys with hands on, on the S.H. , but I'm sure their both great optics. They sure should be, $$$. Best of luck with your decision. Be sure to post up a range report when you get to it and let us know how the pew,pew,pew goes !
DTA makes them in LH now. Look under caliber options.

As as a lefty, I've been thinking about it too, but extended distance ranges are a few hours away from me. Hard to justify for 100yd use.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am having the same "dilemma" I have narrowed it down to to three multi-caliber long bolt guns. The Desert Tech is on top of the list, mainly because relatively reasonable the price. Other two I am considering are the FN Ballista and the Accuracy International PSR. The PSR is $18k and the FN starts at $7k. My only negative about the Desert Tech is that it is not battle proven like the AA. But, I have heard nothing but positives about the Desert Tech. The company is also very cool in my book, since they turned down a lucrative contract from our enemy Pakistan who wanted to by this gun for their military. They didn't want these guns used against our troops. Not many arms manufacturers would put their principals above profits like that. Kudos to DT.

Desert Tech rejects $15 million dollar Deal
Desert Tech, Utah gunmaker, turns down $15 million deal with Pakistan | Fox News

Ballista
FNH USA - Distinct Advantage :: Ballista?

AA
Accuracy International PSR Rifle For Sale! Precision Sniper Rifle

Desert Tech

1 - 20 of 32 Posts