FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting this nice little pistol. Unfortunately it's because my sister has left it to me in her will. She was a retired LEO who had a seven year fight with cancer and ultimately succumbed to it last month. I had tried to get more info on it last year for her but I couldn't find anything terribly helpful. She had it for about thirty years if her memory served her correctly. Some guys from the S&W forum gave me some info but not much in the way of how you determine this info. Serial number is 2D222xx. I've been told it was made in 1977, it's the airweight version of the military and police model 10. I've also read some models are not safe for shooting +P but I'd like to shoot it and don't know if this one would be included in that batch. No interest in selling it all.

Can anyone clarify or correct this info? Thanks!

Revolver Finger Hand Machine Machine tool

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Revolver Steel Metal Rim Hardware accessory

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your sibling.

I have no info to offer you except it is a nice wheel gun. But I do remember from way back that hot rouds could be an issue. My uncle has one and he is the one that passed this info to me.

·
Premium Member
9,028 Posts
Condolences on your Sister's passing. With her battle over, may she rest in peace.

·
Registered
18 Posts
" S&W forum gave me some info but not much in the way of how you determine this info. Serial number is 2D222xx. I've been told it was made in 1977, it's the airweight version of the military and police model 10. I've also read some models are not safe for shooting +P but I'd like to shoot it and don't know if this one would be included in that batch. No interest in selling it all."
Are you wanting to shoot it but are concerned about shooting +P ammo in it? read the articles below.
Gun Review: Smith & Wesson Model 12 .38 Special - The Truth About Guns
38 Special Ammo

I would only shoot standard pressure loads in it although it is safe with an occasional +p. Then again why put extra wear and tear on the old girl. I have had many S&W airweight and steel snubbies and my practice/plinking ammo was standard velocity/pressure. I would carry and practice once a month with +P just to keep recoil and follow-up shot proficent. Remember these revolvers were designed around the 158 grain loading so don't get the light bullet weight or low recoil ammo as she will shoot to an incorrect point of aim. Enjoy it for the classic revolver it is and remember the good times you and you sister had together.

Reactions: bwhiz

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
That's a pretty one. Rarely do you see a nickel plated one like that. Sorry about your sister's passing but I'm sure that she's happy to know that gun is in good hands.

And yes, you can shoot +P through the gun. It won't blow the gun up or anything, but just put some extra wear and tear through it. However, just stick with regular .38 Special loads. Save the wear and tear on your hands.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your sister may god bless you both. I would give S&W a call that's what I did and give them the serial number and they will let you know what loads you can and can not shoot thru it. Good luck with the smith it looks like your sister left you a nice family heirloom there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.